Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Church sound question  (Read 1788 times)
tylerkbreed

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2015, 03:19:52 AM »

Playing in church tomorrow. First time playing in front of a crowd. I have an L-03 with LR Baggs Stage Pro Element system. I have a passive plain ole DI box (new to those also). Will be getting there early tomorrow to get ready. Unfortunately haven't had the time to test sound etc before now. The good thing is that I'm playing with knowledgable people. Is a passive DI BOX what I need or should I have gotten an active one? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
tylerkbreed

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 03:20:59 AM »

Sorry forgot to include this but I'll be going from DI to mixer
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 05:31:40 AM »

Is the pu active,If so shouldn't be a problem.If its passive you may need to add gain {also known as a trim pot} on the guitar channel.

Oh ya ..Relax and have fun.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
tylerkbreed

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 07:50:39 PM »

Everything went good except for not being able to hear myself very well thru the monitor. How do u know if it's active/passive?
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 08:49:57 PM »

Everything went good except for not being able to hear myself very well thru the monitor. How do u know if it's active/passive?

Glad all almost went well.Does your guitar use a battery?

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
tylerkbreed

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 08:53:06 PM »

Yes there's a 9V in it. I have this LR Baggs setup http://www.lrbaggs.com/sites/default/files/pdf/StageproManual.pdf
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 09:16:48 PM »

Church sound guy here since early 80's.

Not hearing yourself well through the monitor is an age-old issue and there are many ways to mitigate the issue.  What is the monitor setup that exists right now?

Just about the cheapest way to get around this, with your existing setup, is to BYOM, that is Bring Your Own Monitor.

You can do this in many ways as well.  The sound guy would appreciate if you didn't use your own speaker - which means using headphones.  Many solutions here as well.  All methods involve some way of hearing what is in the house mix, and then giving you control over your own level mixed in with what's in the house.

Does your monitor system use a powered monitor speaker, or an amp driving the monitor speaker or a headphone-based monitor system?

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
tylerkbreed

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 11:52:16 PM »

I honestly have very little knowledge in this area. The monitors are powered. I'm not trying to make this "all about me me me" but it's hard to play when I can't hear myself.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 12:24:50 AM »

Well you are in luck if the monitors are powered then.  El cheapo mixer, run a signal off of the powered monitor into the mixer, and take your signal into the mixer and mix to your hearts desire.  Ensure you can send your signal by itself to the fog mixer.  You will need headphones.

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
tylerkbreed

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »

Let me ask you this...would I benefit from using a Baggs para acoustic di as opposed to a plain passive di?
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 04:50:40 AM »

Let me ask you this...would I benefit from using a Baggs para acoustic di as opposed to a plain passive di?

The Baggs Para DI has a parametric EQ in it, and that's always handy if you know how to use a parametric EQ. 

I can't say that I've ever used on with a Baggs Stage Pro.  I have used one with a Taylor with their first generation EXP system with good success.

A different guy at our church has a McPherson and it just doesn't work well with the Baggs unit - I will find out what type of pickup he has in his McPherson.

I've tried it with my K+K mini pure western in my L-03 and I never got a tone I was happy with.  My Taylor 414ce with the 2nd generation EXP is a much easier plug-n-chug setup - I go right into one of the cheap DI boxes and have no issues.

I'm sure the folks at Baggs would steer you correctly if the Para DI is worthwhile companion for your Stage Pro.  Having the Para DI will not solve the 'need more me' in the monitor unless your signal is too weak at the FOH mixer, then it could help.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: