Setup/Maintenance Issues.

Started by Caleb, November 11, 2015, 10:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on December 10, 2015, 02:14:53 AM
I agree with this 100%.    :+1:
Thanks for that, it's not often someone agrees with me.  :humour:  :wave:coffee  :donut
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on December 10, 2015, 10:55:29 AM
Thanks for that, it's not often someone agrees with me.  :humour:  :wave:coffee  :donut

I think you are on the right track with your analysis of the issue and how it could most reasonably be resolved.  I'm by no means an expert, but what you said makes a lot of sense to me.  :wave :coffee :donut

So to repeat what I already posted:  "There are lots of good opinions being offered here; some of them conflicting.  Since none of us have seen the guitar and it's current condition, I say go with what your luthier recommends.  Assuming he is competent and you trust his judgement, he is in the best position to assess the guitar and deal with it's frets."
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Got my guitar back today with shiny new frets. He polished up the board nicely and got the old frets he didn't replace shining like new as well.   It plays in tune now when I do chords and sounds great.  It feels a bit different and will take some getting used to. I guess I had grown accustomed to the way it felt before.  Ended up costing me about $150.

Quote from: Caleb on December 14, 2015, 10:21:50 PM
Got my guitar back today with shiny new frets. He polished up the board nicely and got the old frets he didn't replace shining like new as well.   It plays in tune now when I do chords and sounds great.  It feels a bit different and will take some getting used to. I guess I had grown accustomed to the way it felt before.  Ended up costing me about $150.

Good to hear, Caleb.  Seems like a pretty reasonable cost, too.

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on December 15, 2015, 12:15:37 AM
Good to hear, Caleb.  Seems like a pretty reasonable cost, too.

Absolutely, I paid that much for a setup in 2007 when I bought my first new Larrivee. That's why I learned everything I could so I could do my own setups. You could buy another new guitar for what it would cost to setup 4 guitars twice a year ($150x4x2=$1200). Not that every guitar needs a setup twice a year but even if you just know the basics you can keep them playing their best and make minor adjustments every string change.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on December 16, 2015, 10:29:03 AM
Absolutely, I paid that much for a setup in 2007 when I bought my first new Larrivee. That's why I learned everything I could so I could do my own setups. You could buy another new guitar for what it would cost to setup 4 guitars twice a year ($150x4x2=$1200). Not that every guitar needs a setup twice a year but even if you just know the basics you can keep them playing their best and make minor adjustments every string change.

$150.00 sounds pretty steep for just a "standard" setup; even in 2015.  I suppose it varies with location and availability.  I haven't checked local prices since, like you, I do all my own work.

It pays to find a good tech that you can communicate with and trust.  My regular "clients" tell me I charge about half of what they would pay at 2 of the most popular music stores here in Edmonton, for the same job.  I haven't confirmed this myself.  One client has told me I don't charge enough!  That's OK.  I don't have any formal training or certificate to hang on the wall, and I enjoy doing it regardless.  If it keeps me in tools, I'm happy.

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on December 17, 2015, 11:20:53 PM
$150.00 sounds pretty steep for just a "standard" setup; even in 2015.  I suppose it varies with location and availability.  I haven't checked local prices since, like you, I do all my own work.

It pays to find a good tech that you can communicate with and trust.  My regular "clients" tell me I charge about half of what they would pay at 2 of the most popular music stores here in Edmonton, for the same job.  I haven't confirmed this myself.  One client has told me I don't charge enough!  That's OK.  I don't have any formal training or certificate to hang on the wall, and I enjoy doing it regardless.  If it keeps me in tools, I'm happy.

I get told all the time that I don't charge enough but when I ask them for more they just laugh.There is no test to take to get a certificate.I call GC to ask how they certify there tech's and they didn't have an answer other then you had to work for them.With each job you get better and better and the better you get the better tech you are.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on December 18, 2015, 08:40:18 AM
I get told all the time that I don't charge enough but when I ask them for more they just laugh.There is no test to take to get a certificate.I call GC to ask how they certify there tech's and they didn't have an answer other then you had to work for them.With each job you get better and better and the better you get the better tech you are.

I agree and that is my experience.

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on December 17, 2015, 11:20:53 PM

Caleb says the tech replaced frets and did a 'shine up' job on those he didn't replace.  That's a couple hours minimum of work and if done skillfully, $150 is kind of inexpensive.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I don't do a lot of repairs for others but I did setup a cheap strat copy. It took me most of a day to get everything right. But I only charged a hundred.
It was  for a close friend though. My thoughts have been drifting towards getting some cards printed up and doing a bit of public repairs. Not in any hurry though.

Quote from: rockstar_not on December 28, 2015, 09:40:27 AM
Caleb says the tech replaced frets and did a 'shine up' job on those he didn't replace.  That's a couple hours minimum of work and if done skillfully, $150 is kind of inexpensive.

-Scott
This guy typically does way more work than he charges the customer for.  He installed a new bridge on one of my mandolins a while back.  It was a big job to get it properly fitted.  I can't remember what he charged me but it wasn't enough.  A very honest guy.  If you all know someone in the DFW area, send them to Kerry.  He does great work.  www.kerrysguitarshop.com

Quote from: rockstar_not on December 28, 2015, 09:40:27 AM
Caleb says the tech replaced frets and did a 'shine up' job on those he didn't replace.  That's a couple hours minimum of work and if done skillfully, $150 is kind of inexpensive.

-Scott

That's the issue.  I'm way too meticulous, thorough, and perfectionist to charge by the hour.  I charge by the job, no matter how long it takes.  So, for example, if I feel you need a new nut to be made, I will charge you so much for a new nut to be made whether it takes me 10 minutes to make it or 2 hours to make it.

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on December 30, 2015, 01:19:45 AM
That's the issue.  I'm way too meticulous, thorough, and perfectionist to charge by the hour.  I charge by the job, no matter how long it takes.  So, for example, if I feel you need a new nut to be made, I will charge you so much for a new nut to be made whether it takes me 10 minutes to make it or 2 hours to make it.

The sign of a real tech.If I charged by the hour I would never get any work.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Ok so how much do you charge to replace frets as in Calebs case?
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on December 31, 2015, 10:05:54 PM
Ok so how much do you charge to replace frets as in Calebs case?

Truthfully, I think I would charge about what he paid; $150.00.  I think he got a good price for the work done, and I applaud the person who did it for that price.  I also would do it for the same price.  But many would pay a lot more for that job depending on where they go to get it done.  That's my point.  Myself, Rob, and his guy do this kind of work for the love of doing it and not so much for making a big profit.  Of course we don't want to lose money, but we at least break even or even make a few bucks to buy some tools or help finance our next guitar.

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on January 01, 2016, 02:58:17 AM
Truthfully, I think I would charge about what he paid; $150.00.  I think he got a good price for the work done, and I applaud the person who did it for that price.  I also would do it for the same price.  But many would pay a lot more for that job depending on where they go to get it done.  That's my point.  Myself, Rob, and his guy do this kind of work for the love of doing it and not so much for making a big profit.  Of course we don't want to lose money, but we at least break even or even make a few bucks to buy some tools or help finance our next guitar.

I make enough to pay my bill's...alas not enough to buy any guitars's  :crying: But I'm happy  :cheers
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks