Linda Manzer/ Pat Metheny

Started by headsup, November 08, 2015, 06:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I could tell stories about Linda's alterations to this instrument she built for Pat.

better just appreciate where some of JCL's apprentice's end up.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDYd91xOE4
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on November 08, 2015, 06:44:05 PMI could tell stories about Linda's alterations to this instrument she built for Pat.

Please do tell - even just the one's that aren't actionable  :guitar

Sure, third hand, from a dear guitar playing friend who lives near Linda (Near Almonte ON).

Evidently, Linda and Mr. Metheny had discussed some kind of major alteration, like removing or changing one of the necks on that complex instrument.

When he brought it with him, she opened the case, took it out and apparently just grabbed a hand saw and started cutting the neck off, right in front of him, as a joke.
Now of course she had this planned, and knew exactly what she was doing, I guess the effect was worth it.....
Like over 50?

This gives you a better idea of the instrument and it's playing. The alteration, I believe was the one sticking up closest to his head. It once was longer, and had tuners, now it's shorter and fixed tuning....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR-64Sdn_CM
Like over 50?

Update on this story...

Last night, after my own gig, I got to visit a pals show who now has the famous Linda Manzer "Picasso" in his possession.

As I understand it, there is only one, and I believe Pat Metheny had it on loan/trial/exposure.
I'm still a bit confused about details on if there is one or two of these.

Anyways, my friend has it, as he is good friends with Linda , and her shop mate Peggy White, who also worked for Larrivee in Vancouver is an amazing builder and he currently plays one of her guitars....I digress....

His current "stewardship" of the Picasso, means he has it until some-one else wants/needs it, and recently Tony McManus was supposed to pick it up from him, but communication/travels issues prevented Tony from getting it (It owns a good deal of car space).

I understand the instrument can be purchased for some-where between $200,0000-$300,000.
I believe this is Linda's possible retirement plan....

Again, this is coming to me from the current guardian of said instrument, and all details may or may not be factual.
Either way, I think it's just a cool story....
Like over 50?

There are two. From Manzer's website:

QuoteIn 1984 Pat Metheny asked me to design and build a guitar with "as many strings as possible." The resulting collaboration was the Pikasso guitar. In 1992 I was asked by the late Scott Chinery to build a strictly acoustic version of Metheny's Pikasso. Thus, Pikasso II. This second Pikasso was recently on display at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts in a show called "Dangerous Curves".

The Pikasso:

The Pikasso II:

There are perhaps more. Here is what appears to be yet another:

Tony McManus Video

Or perhaps this is the original Pikasso after the alterations that Kevin spoke of?

Trying to figure out a bracing pattern for that Picasso would give me a headache.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on November 29, 2015, 11:27:05 AM
Trying to figure out a bracing pattern for that Picasso would give me a headache.

I also don't imagine one could walk into the local music store and pick up a case for one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume there are not more than a few individuals who would take the time necessary to learn to play one of those.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

(In my best Marlon Brando, Apocalypse Now,Voice...) the tuning, oh, the tuning   :crying:

This month's Acoustic Guitar has a nice article on Linda Manzer in which she describes her apprenticeship with Jean Larrivee and how she came to building guitasr for Pat Metheny.  She states that Jean "was, and still is, one of the most gifted builders on the planet."

Chas

Two different beasts there. The top one has two twelve string necks and a six string neck. The bottom one, if I'm seeing this correctly, the six, eight and nine string necks are tunable with standard machine heads while the rest act as drone strings, like a sitar, and are probably tunable using some kind of piano or autoharp tuning key. Choose a neck. I don't think it would be that hard to play. I mean, not to play like PM but, you know, just to pluck away at.   :laughin:   

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 06, 2016, 12:09:39 PM

I don't think it would be that hard to play. I mean, not to play like PM but, you know, just to pluck away at.   :laughin:   

Tom, I can't wait to see your YouTube video demonstrating this!  :humour:

:donut :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on February 08, 2016, 10:12:23 AM
Tom, I can't wait to see your YouTube video demonstrating this!  :humour:

:donut :coffee

I always say that a fiddle is the only thing with strings that I can't make sound better than a strangled cat.  :laughin: