'squeaky' finish on my Taylor 414ce - any advice on getting rid of the squeak

Started by rockstar_not, October 18, 2015, 07:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

First of all, let me state I won the Taylor in a drawing.  To my ear, it sound very much like my L-03.  With that said, one thing I do not like about the guitar so far is that it squeaks with any contact to any t-shirts with cotton in them; meaning all of my t-shirts and sweatshirts and jeans - which is pretty much my guitar playing wardrobe.

Anyone had this issue in the past?  Through the built-in pickup, no problem, but when I'm trying to record with a mic, it's pretty irritating.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Though I'm sure this won't help but someone is going to say so it might s well be me.......

:wave Play naked............................................................................... :nanadance
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Just a shot in the dark here, but I often get audible squeaks from my left hand rubbing on the neck by shifting from chord to chord. I found that a very light dusting of talcum powder on the neck fixes that perfectly.

I haven't had the problem of cotton squeaks on the body but I can't help but wonder that since it's new, the finish is just too damn clean. Maybe a liberal smudging with your hands is called for?

And congrats on the win, I never heard of anybody winning anything good like a guitar. . . :wink:
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Don't wash the day before ;)
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 23, 2015, 11:57:12 AM
Sell it?  :cheers
I did consider that.  However, I'm really liking the cutaway and the pickup system.  Way less hassle to get a usable tone than the k+k in my L03

Also, polyester fleece seems to not squeak at all.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud