Ladder to X bracing

Started by Danny, October 11, 2015, 05:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Having some trouble with photobucket,  so the pic may dissappear. But here is the rosette glued in. Now it needs to be leveled to the top and then on with the finishing. Also need repairs on some small nicks and such.

Here's some pix of how the channel for the rosette was cut.
The small router has a plate made from thick plastic with two 1/8" holes drilled near the end of the plastic extension. This was for different rosettes. A stainless pin was inserted through the hole and then the router was placed on the guitar which had layers of cork and Lexan to even the level of the top with the fret board.
Hot thin hide glue held the soundhole blank in place and the edge of the blank was beveled. That can be seen later.

The whole setup staged for this pic.

Three layers in the middle. Blank with center 1/8" hole- larger blank to support weight - Lexan circle with 1/8" center hole.  This made the center the same hieght as the outer shims.
                  That's it, took me a week to think this up and two days to make
                   it work out. I'm very happy with the results.

Thanks for the pics, Dan.  You are a problem solver indeed.  (and a patient guy, I must say)

Kurt
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I had to work this week and haven't had time to do much. But last week I did fill the gaps from chip outs due to  the removal of the binding and the back. Some gaps were filled with slivers of mahogany and others with filler made from sanding dust and thick CA glue. The fills look darker against the sanded sides but once the finish is applied they should blend in better.
    The back is on the right in this pic, enlarge it to see the repairs.

This picture has the back on the left.

Just my personal "eye" but I think the D & B (or D + B) should be a little closer together to look "connected" as a logo (and I was a graphic art major in college...).

I think I would also use a thicker font to give it more substance.

Those are my takes...

Love what you're doing, Danny!

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on December 20, 2015, 09:31:41 PM
Just my personal "eye" but I think the D & B (or D + B) should be a little closer together to look "connected" as a logo (and I was a graphic art major in college...).

I think I would also use a thicker font to give it more substance.

Those are my takes...

Love what you're doing, Danny!

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee
Thanks for the input Mike, I had planned on making them closer and symmetrical. A slight arch.
   One thing that came to me after I put these on was the t used for a + symbol looks like a cross in a subtle way.
EDIT: the little lady said not to mess up the head stock. Also I just didn't like how it looked so I'm redoing it.

Quote from: dependan on December 20, 2015, 09:37:13 PM

One thing that came to me after I put these on was the t used for a + symbol looks like a cross in a subtle way.

Yes, I caught that, and I like it...  :thumb

I've been putting finish coats on. I think I'm at five layers now. Here's some more pics.

I'm beginning to really like this guitar and getting the itch to play it.

I've been filling the grain on the headstock and staining it using gunstock filler. I've had this filler in my cabinet for awhile and noticed it when the consideration for redoing the tuner head came to me.

[/URL[URL=http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/dpndn/media/Ladder%20to%20X%20bracing/20151230_095500_zpspfntg8pf.jpg.html]

Just added more filler.Then I'll let it dry, rub it in and finish with a clean cloth with the grain. I've been letting it dry for a full day.This is the third fill.

Slow and steady does the trick...

That's going to be a nice ol' Harmoney...

:nice guitar:

Thanks Mike, I think it will be a fine players guitar soon.  I  had to work half of the day today. But if no work comes in it should be strung up sometime this weekend.

:+1:

Cool project, cool thread - thanx for sharing!  :smile:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: Zohn on January 06, 2016, 07:59:38 AM
:+1:

Cool project, cool thread - thanx for sharing!  :smile:

Thanks Zohn, it's actually on the dining table right now,  waiting for me to clean up the binding, neck etc. It also needs a truss rod access cut out on the tuner plate and a new wood cover made for it.
     Then if I can't find the nut already made for it a new one will need to be made. After that tuners, saddle, strings and start playing it.
     The varnish finish needs to cure for at least a month and maybe even two before the final polishing up. I'll post a  few more pics a little later on today.

A little late with a few more pics. It is slow going detailed clean up etc. now. The binding is all done as well as the fretboard over the body. The headstock cover looks good  to me, much better than before.

Here is a pic of the original truss rod cover. White plastic just won't cut it,  so I will make a wooden cover from the piece laying on the neck. It's from the Russian rifle woodstock as well.
     But I may cheat and just get it ready to play for now.

That mahogany top just shimmers, Dan.  Great finishing job.  Looking really good.  Can't wait to hear your impressions of how it sounds when it's all done.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on January 09, 2016, 10:10:31 PM
That mahogany top just shimmers, Dan.  Great finishing job.  Looking really good.  Can't wait to hear your impressions of how it sounds when it's all done.
On the top there are several dyes mixed at various stages of layering the finish. The result is almost a 3D affect. I'm happy with it, but wonder if I'm able to reproduce it in the future. Still slowly fixing little details as I go. Not in any hurry, just anticipating the first song once it's all back together.
    There will still be a two month wait for the varnish to cure before polishing it all out.

Sweet
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E link=topic=49034.msg435055#msg435055 =1453091116
Sweet
Thanks Roger, I strung it up tonight and it is indeed sweet. Much louder and bolder when strummed than I thought it would be. Definitely closer to a dread than my other small body guitars. It's a fine complement to the Forum III. I'm still gonna tweak the intonation and such. New nut and saddle, torq rod cover and a bit more.