Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leho Guitars, designed by Jean Larrivee?  (Read 3604 times)
Muffinhead

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2015, 01:46:55 AM »

Has anyone here heard of Leho? I just saw a listing for one on eBay. I have never heard of the brand before. The listing said that Lehos are designed by Jean Larrivee.
dazdarren

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 04:17:04 AM »

I found these Leho guitars a while back too on a dealers website and had similar questions that I posed in the following thread but no one seemed to have any inside. I think Daves site posted a video performance clip of one of those guitars.

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=48571.0
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 04:52:59 AM »

Makes me sad.  If they're going to do a cheap import line, don't associate it with the Larrivee name at all.  Drags down the rep of Larrivee guitars in general.  I know some will get really defensive over this but they probably don't understand what I'm saying or why (seems to happen any time I say something that isn't in praise of the company's decisions).

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 06:04:48 AM »

Makes me sad.  If they're going to do a cheap import line, don't associate it with the Larrivee name at all.  Drags down the rep of Larrivee guitars in general.  I know some will get really defensive over this but they probably don't understand what I'm saying or why (seems to happen any time I say something that isn't in praise of the company's decisions).

I agree and support you.  I'm actually OK with Larrivee doing that as long as they never use the "Larrivee" brand name in association with those other guitars.  However, I must say I am saddened that they have to go in that direction to keep the business viable.  Of course, this is all speculation.  Maybe it's not true in the first place.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 10:53:15 AM »

I'm ok with their decision.
The dman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 11:06:31 AM »

We have one sitting at the store and it's nice for the money but the problem nobodies ever heard of Leho so it get's ignored

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 08:58:57 PM »

We have one sitting at the store and it's nice for the money but the problem nobodies ever heard of Leho so it get's ignored

Problem is, there are lots of good guitars in the same price range that have very recognizable names.  People tend to reach for a label that they have heard of before if it's in their $$$$ comfort level.   "Leho" would make me think it's ukelele company that is now making a 6 traditional Dread.  But if I knew ahead of time that it was in some way conceived by JCL, I would certainly give it try.
Niteshooter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 11:22:53 PM »

Guess Leho could have commissioned Larrivee to design a guitar.

Granted my first reaction was that it was a weirdly timed April fools joke since I thought it might have been designed to sound like somethi ng in french.....
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 12:05:21 PM »

This is something I've questioned CFMartin about for many years. They used to make laminate guitars under the auspices of another company like Goya or Sigma with a Martin seal of approval, which is just fine. Now they put the CFMartin logo on them. Kind of like GM calling a Chevette, a Cadillac. 
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 02:18:26 PM »

GPUSA has four listed for sale, and they are a Larrivee dealer as well.  The listings indicated they are designed by Jean Larrivee, but they are asian made.  The listings indicate they are made of All Solid Woods, not laminates, and have wooden bindings.  Their listed price range is about half that of a Larrivee, but the photos look very good.  I would be interested in hearing some comments on how they sound and play, along with build quality.  All asian builds are not automatically cr**y.  Andrew had recently posted that all Larrivee designs Made for other manufacturers were North American built.  Mods and Admins know anything about this one?

George
pewtergod

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 02:32:17 AM »

These have really good specs, regardless of where they are made.  I just want to know if you can get the same symmetric bracing (I know the Appalachian Line has traditional bracing, instead of the hyperbolic symmetrical bracing.  If I just wanted a Chinese guitar with great specs, I'd get another Blueridge, and save a couple hundred.  But if it's made like a Larrivee, where do I sign for one?
pewtergod

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 07:56:31 AM »

Well, I ordered one of the D ones with the rosewood back.  I have been trying to figure out how good the tops are, as one site lists them as AAA grade Sitka, another as A grade, and others just say premium sitka or sitka.  Apparently it has a satin finish, and I like that.  This is a Ukulele company, which isn't very encouraging. Will try to post pics and a sound sample when I get it.
nayoud

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 08:38:48 AM »

Yes, I read that they're made in China, all solid woods I hear.. haven't seen one in person. They seem to be sold for a price quite close to the 03 series. I saw an OM-14 on the net discounted from $1038 to $904... unless they discount more, the imports will be in direct competition with US and Canadian Larrivee guitars. That's unless we don't see a hike in Larrivee guitars.

Larrivée L-05 Vine
Martin D-21 Special
Martin OM-28 Marquis MFG Custom
Martin OM-18 GE MFG Custom
Martin D-28 Authentic 1937 VTS

"Be & Remember ☮"
J M Larrivée

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 10:23:55 PM »

Several years ago when Larrivée was going through changes in case manufacturers overseas, Jean befriended a ukulele making family. A bit different than our family, but a father and two sons making instruments no less. They helped each other get the things they needed to do business in two very different parts of the world, each having their own industry connections. We needed high quality cases and Leho wanted to start making guitars. They became friends and they helped each other. The guitars are not Larrivée's nor are they offshore Larrivée's. They are simply Leho's that Jean lent his designs to. There were a couple prototype runs Jean built in California that exist. Probably be quite valuable one day. At the end of the day, they helped each other. Hopefully this sheds some light. You may not know, but the name "Leho" is kind of sea shell in Hawaiin.

john jr
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 11:02:54 PM »

We needed high quality cases and Leho wanted to start making guitars. They became friends and they helped each other.
So which cases did that result in  

Was it the Access Products Group cases 

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
pewtergod

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 11:33:12 PM »

Yes, I read that they're made in China, all solid woods I hear.. haven't seen one in person. They seem to be sold for a price quite close to the 03 series. I saw an OM-14 on the net discounted from $1038 to $904... unless they discount more, the imports will be in direct competition with US and Canadian Larrivee guitars. That's unless we don't see a hike in Larrivee guitars.
I just paid $689 for a LHG-D14R Leho dreadnought with solid rosewood back and sides.  That's about half what a comparably equipped Larrivee would cost.  They don't make any laminate guitars, just like Larrivee.  They don't seem to use the Larrivee symmetrical bracing pattern, so I don't see them as a threat to real Larrivees.  Seems closer to a Blueridge than a Larrivee, with the whole Appalachian thing.  Should be a good guitar, though!  I love the sound  of solid rosewood over high-grade Sitka.  It sounds downright luxurious. Probably take a couple years to break in, though. 
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 05:10:33 AM »

I just paid $689 for a LHG-D14R Leho dreadnought with solid rosewood back and sides.  That's about half what a comparably equipped Larrivee would cost.  They don't make any laminate guitars, just like Larrivee.  They don't seem to use the Larrivee symmetrical bracing pattern, so I don't see them as a threat to real Larrivees.  Seems closer to a Blueridge than a Larrivee, with the whole Appalachian thing.  Should be a good guitar, though!  I love the sound  of solid rosewood over high-grade Sitka.  It sounds downright luxurious. Probably take a couple years to break in, though. 

So do you already have the guitar in hand and are you already playing it?

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 11:39:56 AM »

I think those who may feel that they are getting a "no-name" Larrivee for half the price are going to be disappointed.  You get what you pay for.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 12:24:44 PM »

I think those who may feel that they are getting a "no-name" Larrivee for half the price are going to be disappointed.  You get what you pay for.
Unless you buy a Larrivée, where I have always felt I got more guitar then I paid for 

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 05:57:51 PM »

Unless you buy a Larrivée, where I have always felt I got more guitar then I paid for 

I think used Larrivees are the best bang for the buck there is in the guitar world right now.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: