Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fishman Infinity vs Baggs Element  (Read 1646 times)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: September 29, 2015, 12:58:40 PM »

Hi folks, just a wee tech bit of info here.

For all my stage guitars, I have gone to the LR Baggs Element system.
It's easy to install, offers stealth Volume and tone in sound hole, and is consistantly good sounding.
 Not as open or natural as the B band system, but not as finiky either. ( I still use B Band in a couple older guitars).

Recently i bought a Larrivee D-03, in Black Satin, which came with a factory installed Fishman Infinty system.
 Same idea as the Baggs element, but the controls have a slicker plastic housing.

Sadly the pick up sound itself left more than a little to be desired, heavy on the midrange, (and the "tone" control is really a midrange shift knob)
Typical quack or harsh sound that i recall from the old days, ( I introduced Jean to B-Band several years ago when he was looking to get away from Fishman).

I know pick up systems are a touchy matter, like strings, and i know a lot of folks are going to the K & K system.
My needs are somewhat aggressive as far as how many shows I play and the way I actually play my guitars, so none of this might matter.

My post is really about; if you are looking at an under saddle system, with stealth controls, the LR Baggs Element is still the best bet....

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 01:54:21 PM »

I've never used a Baggs but I love my MI. Sounds fabulous in my D-35.   
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 02:25:42 PM »

I intentionally tested a Fishman Infinity and a Baggs element in the same guitar (one at a time of course).  The difference was certainly measurable from the recordings and I left the Baggs element in the guitar (which BTW was a Jumbo J-03R that originally had a DTAR).  I like the Baggs Anthem too.  Next I am going to try a Schertler Lydia EQ that I bought for a song...

George
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 03:47:52 PM »

Should be noted we're also talking twice the price. 
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 07:00:22 PM »

Tom, which one is twice the price?  I thought the element and the infinity were about the same $...

George
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 01:18:38 PM »

Tom, which one is twice the price?  I thought the element and the infinity were about the same $...

I take it back. I was looking at the Anthem. My mistake. I still like my Matrix Infinity but if the Element is a lot better, it must be very good indeed.   blush
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 01:44:25 PM »

I don't know if I would classify any of them as "a lot better".  There is so much dependence on the guitar itself, its shape, its tonewoods, blah, blah, blah, and the sound the user is looking for is a crucial piece of the puzzle as well.  In this one particular test, I just thought the Element performed better than the Fishman...

P. S.  another recent find, and a surprisingly great sound, is a Schertler AG6 magnetico soundhole pickup with the little condenser mic plugged into it.  Remarkable device...

George
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 01:56:29 AM »

um, as the OP, honestly, I certainly wasn't trying to pit one against the other or make any assumptions on "better".

In fact, I was more than surpirsed, and definately disappointed by the sound of the Fishman Infinity, is all.
never mind guitar shape, tone woods and all that, when it comes to a Piezo, it's irrelevant.
 The device simply picks up the vibrations from under the saddle. full stop.

So i doubt whether there would be much difference ina BZ L, or a Maple Dread Larrivee, my feeling on sound were as acurate as i could express, around the very things that I like (and need) from a good sounding piezo Pick up, on stage.

I am pretty sure that if I chose to swap out the Fishman and put an Element in it's place, i would give a different review of the outcome.
In Fact, from my perspective, though the immediate testing (stage rig monitors) I simply wanted more low end warmth, more sparkle on the top, and LESS mids, than what the Fishman was offering.
Of course I went through the signal path strip, and pulled the mids back, and yes, on the EQ as well, to no avail, something i have bnver had to do with the LR Baggs.

But hey, lets get honest, it's an electronic device trying to amplify our acoustic guitars from where????

uh huh,
 so it goes,
 but for all the companies out there wanting to pick C notes from our pockets to amplify our acoustic guitars, so far, to me, and for my purposes, the Element is still the best bet.
Like ALL pick ups.....NEVER.....EVER lean on them, then they ALL sound like ka ka poo poo...

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: