Hook, line and Sinker...finished pics 1/21!!!

Started by fitness1, September 07, 2015, 10:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad lighting today, but here's one quick teaser - not taking too much time from enjoying it for now.   This is one high horsepower machine!! :thumb

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

It's been strung up for less than 24 hours and it's already quite amazing.  Some minor intonation work (I'm a picky SOB!) and it will be ready to sing for a LONG time!
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Quote from: fitness1 on January 22, 2016, 03:00:36 PM
It's been strung up for less than 24 hours and it's already quite amazing.  Some minor intonation work (I'm a picky SOB!) and it will be ready to sing for a LONG time!
I'm actually working on the intonation of my old ladder to X bracing 000 right now. Made a new bone nut and saddle.
     I'm a bit picky myself :blush:

Ok - here's a better bearclaw pic -

Spent some time this morning dialing in the setup and intonation and it's about 99% of the way there.

I also spent some time A/B/C ing my three steel strings (playing up against the wall for optimum sound!) with fresh strings and I've decided I'm a very spoiled boy :bgrin:

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Congrats Todd!!!!  Wow, what a beauty.  Great to hear you're enjoying it, especially after a long wait.

I take it you do enjoy sound ports?

Quote from: Dru Edwards on January 24, 2016, 09:43:41 AM
Congrats Todd!!!!  Wow, what a beauty.  Great to hear you're enjoying it, especially after a long wait.

I take it you do enjoy sound ports?

Well, when I dropped the wood off he told me it would be 4 months, then it only took him 11 days to build it, so it was actually pretty darn quick!! :thumb

I'll never own another guitar without a port.....makes such a huge difference on so many fronts.   As you probably know I've taken to installing them myself in
instruments that don't have them :winkin:   Hopefully this addition will reduce the need for that
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

How does someone build (AND FINISH) a guitar like that in 11 DAYS!?!?!?!?   :? :doh
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on January 25, 2016, 10:00:28 AM
How does someone build (AND FINISH) a guitar like that in 11 DAYS!?!?!?!?   :? :doh

I think there might be a bit of magic involved.... :winkin:
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Hi Todd - it's been a week.  How's it holding up?  :smile:

Quote from: Dru Edwards on February 04, 2016, 10:09:04 AM
Hi Todd - it's been a week.  How's it holding up?  :smile:

Actually tomorrow it will be two (sweet) weeks.   It's on my lap right now (as it has been most of the time!)  and I just got done with the last tweak of setup and intonation.  Thanks to
Bill's stellar fretwork, I've got the action WAY down there and have to hit it hard to get any damping or buzzing.

I can easily say without hesitation that it's the finest sounding instrument I've laid my hands on - it has the best tonal characteristics of my other two steel strings wrapped into one, and the volume knob turned up a couple notches.

There's always that trepidation when you spend the big bucks on a custom, not sure if it's going to be what you wanted, but I'm SO thankful I did this!!
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

I'm happy that you got such a fine instrument. I'm also interested in what all you did to tweak the intonation, if you get the time to share it.

Quote from: dependan on February 04, 2016, 10:39:19 AM
I'm happy that you got such a fine instrument. I'm also interested in what all you did to tweak the intonation, if you get the time to share it.

At every string change - (4 of them now) I've simply used  a half round needle file to "scallop" the saddle under each string so it's as close as humanly possible.  Tiny increments as I slowly lower the action too, as that can have an effect.   As with lowering action - you can remove material but not put it back on!!

Having a really good ear is both a blessing and a curse....
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Thanks, I'm on my third nut and saddle set on my old 000. That's an interesting way of getting it right.
    I did get the nut and saddle too low once, it is best to go slow.