Hook, line and Sinker...finished pics 1/21!!!

Started by fitness1, September 07, 2015, 10:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on September 10, 2015, 06:06:34 PM
What is that nice course you drive by on Eastman coming out of town?  Looks pretty challenging.

The Country Club is on Eastman, but it's right in town (Eastman is all torn up and only two lanes there) - I think you may be talking about Currie East (which is the older course) that is along M-20 heading out of town toward Mt Pleasant.   We play the Currie West every day which is much, much nicer and more challenging than the East.
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

The Country Club, looked it up, no wonder it looks so nice, private though.

I also checked out the Currie course, I see it is a Jerry Mathews design like our course up here at Sugar Springs. Don't play as much as I used to but I have a outing coming up in a couple weeks I'm looking forward to.

Next time I come to Midland I will PM you first so maybe we can meet up.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on September 11, 2015, 09:49:57 AM
The Country Club, looked it up, no wonder it looks so nice, private though.

I also checked out the Currie course, I see it is a Jerry Mathews design like our course up here at Sugar Springs. Don't play as much as I used to but I have a outing coming up in a couple weeks I'm looking forward to.

Next time I come to Midland I will PM you first so maybe we can meet up.

Dow just put 35 million into a renovation of the course and a new "clubhouse" - 3 restaurants, health club, pool, hotel rooms for the execs - you get the idea.  The course is more target golf but it is VERY well kept and pretty.  I haven't played there since the renovations.

I took the wood out to Bill today and he was quite pleased, as i expected.   Should be working on it over the next 4 months or so.

Yes - keep me posted on upcoming visits!
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Found out today that my build will start at the end of the week and will be done about the 3rd week in January!!!  I'm bustin'! :nana_guitar
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

BEAUTIFUL!!!! I can imagine when it is completed. Congrats Fitness1

I was told my Redwood top was a 'Sinkerwood' not sure how true.

Quote from: fongie on December 30, 2015, 10:09:59 PM
BEAUTIFUL!!!! I can imagine when it is completed. Congrats Fitness1

I was told my Redwood top was a 'Sinkerwood' not sure how true.

Thanks - I'll be going out to the shop Monday or Tuesday to decide on bindings, and whether or not to go "whole hog" and have an a full ab top done. :thumb
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Not sure what you mean "a full ab top". Hope you can get some pics of the build in process.

Quote from: dependan on December 31, 2015, 03:54:46 PM
Not sure what you mean "a full ab top". Hope you can get some pics of the build in process.

abalone top purfling like the Larrivee 10 series guitars.......and yes, there will be some build pics as I only live 15 miles from his shop!  Might wear out my welcome! :winkin:
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

:thumb many of us want to see this one take shape.

Hi Todd, Congrats on the new build!!! Only a few weeks away.  That sinker looks amazing! 

I didn't realize that Bill Wise and Charis guitars were one and the same - is that correct?

Quote from: Dru Edwards on January 04, 2016, 10:13:33 AM
Hi Todd, Congrats on the new build!!! Only a few weeks away.  That sinker looks amazing! 

I didn't realize that Bill Wise and Charis guitars were one and the same - is that correct?

Yes - same guy/guitars......he's quite an artisan.   Just got back from the shop.  I provided the case and tuners and just took them out and finalized the minor details.
We put some naptha on the Mahogany and it was more toward the brown hue, so I went with Cocobolo bindings/rosette.   

Should have some build pics soon.... :thumb
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

:+1: Beautiful top, back & sides. Also an awesome builder - can't wait to see the finished guitar.
Good on you Todd  :smile:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Kinda funny how time goes  so sloooooowwww... :humour:
'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos

Quote from: old folky on January 07, 2016, 07:13:55 AM
Kinda funny how time goes  so sloooooowwww... :humour:

All downhill from here - should be done by the end of the month..... :thumb

Thanks Zohn - this is the last piece in the puzzle.
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Wow Todd, gonna be nice!   Just curious, do you have other dreads?  Was surprised, since most of your other guitars I've seen on here have been non-dreads.  I thought that Bill's most popular models were his GA size.
D-02E

Quote from: JohnM2001 on January 08, 2016, 08:18:19 PM
Wow Todd, gonna be nice!   Just curious, do you have other dreads?  Was surprised, since most of your other guitars I've seen on here have been non-dreads.  I thought that Bill's most popular models were his GA size.

No, this will be the only one.   I reasoned that I had a great classical, OM/GC, and one of Bill's SJ's.   Only thing that was missing was a big honkin' dread.  Everybody needs a Mahogany dread, right?? :bgrin:
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

The body is being closed today and binding work starts tomorrow - I've offiicially opted for the abalone top purfling.....if this turns out as nice as I think it will, I'd probably be disappointed if I didn't go the extra mile :bgrin:

Probably go out and get some pics in the next couple of days....
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Quote from: fitness1 on January 12, 2016, 08:53:00 AM
The body is being closed today and binding work starts tomorrow - I've offiicially opted for the abalone top purfling.

Probably go out and get some pics in the next couple of days....
you know us, we gotta have pics  :gotpics:
       It sure sounds like it will be a fine guitar.

Quote from: dependan on January 12, 2016, 10:19:54 AM
you know us, we gotta have pics  :gotpics:
       It sure sounds like it will be a fine guitar.

"if there are no pics, it didn't happen" :roll

By the end of the week for sure.  Frankly the way the weather is right now here, I don't really want to drive out there!!
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka