Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hook, line and Sinker...finished pics 1/21!!!  (Read 9297 times)
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2015, 03:30:25 PM »

Mahogany that is.....

I made the mistake of looking on RC Tonewood's site after Bob posted he was having a Labor Day sale.

A few months back I'd picked out a set of Cuban Mahogany and a nice Bearclaw Sitka top at Bill Wise' shop (Charis) to have him build me a dread, then my business move started unexpectedly and I told him I better hold off.   He has since used the woods on another instrument.

So, when I saw these two sets of wood, I knew they had to be made into a guitar - MY guitar!!

I'll take them out to Bill at the end of the week when they arrive for his approval.   The build should start pretty soon.......looks like that LV-05 will probably go to pay for the deposit

Here's the story behind this particular Sinker Mahogany:

If you like wood with a story, then it doesn't get any better then this material. This is material from the bottom of Belizean rivers. Belize used to be a British colony. The British exported a lot of Mahogany from Belize throughout history and during the 19th century they used the rivers of Belize as there main source of transportation. Occasionally the denser Mahogany logs would sink! These logs for over 100 years had been lost and forgotten, until now! All the logs where salvaged using environmentally sound practices using small boats and pulleys to remove these logs off the bottom of the rivers. The logs where cut in Belize using local labor. Hence this is a very eco-friendly product. The material was kiln dried in Belize but has been re-sticked to give the piles air flow to allow them to air dry even more. Due to the age of these logs, all this material would have been old growth timber. The color is excellent and the grain is tight. Some of the material is even figured. Plus the material has a very interesting natural edge. The texture has been sculpted by the river and is very pleasing to the eye.

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Eastman E10D - Mahogany/Adirondack
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"
bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 03:51:26 PM »

+1...   Really nice looking mahogany...  hope she will make beautiful music for you....  BobW... 
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 03:59:16 PM »

That will make a beautiful guitar Todd, with a history/story.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 04:07:38 PM »

I'm hoping so - I get to test drive a lot of Bill's finished products (live 15 miles from the shop) and there haven't been any duds yet

I'm going to have it built more shallow than standard (probably 4 3/8 at the tail) to be sure and maintain clarity/string separation.

It will be 1 13/16 nut, 2 5/16 saddle, full scale, probably Madagascar bindings (and Maddie/abalone rosette), and of course a soundport!

Bill's lead time is normally very short as he builds in batches, so I'll hopefully be posting finished pics before you know it!

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »

Excellent woods Todd!  I love that top too...  can't wait to see the pics.

George
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 05:05:11 PM »

Your and EVIL,EVIL man Todd  drool

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 05:16:20 PM »

Your and EVIL,EVIL man Todd  drool

He-he-he.....yep

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 06:53:02 PM »

Look forward to the updates.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 10:04:24 PM »

Beautiful Mahogany, what, they didn't have a matching piece for the top? Nice looking Spruce too.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 10:13:36 PM »

Beautiful Mahogany, what, they didn't have a matching piece for the top? Nice looking Spruce too.

Haha - definitely not a mahogany top guy ohmy

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Niteshooter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 12:26:50 AM »

Amazing looking! Give me a sec to wipe the drool off my tablet!
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 03:25:13 PM »

His builds are certainly extraordinary to look at.  Must be great to get to play the new ones without having to buy them!  I looked at one he has available online and am afraid to ask how much...

George
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 06:42:21 PM »

The wife and I have been to Belize twice. Each time we stayed for about a week, in the homes of folks we knew. The mahogany cabinets and furniture that was hand crafted there was beautiful. We have a mahogany rocker from Belize, as well as a son in law.
   That's gonna be one beauty of a guitar.  nice guitar

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 09:09:46 PM »

The wife and I have been to Belize twice. Each time we stayed for about a week, in the homes of folks we knew. The mahogany cabinets and furniture that was hand crafted there was beautiful. We have a mahogany rocker from Belize, as well as a son in law.
   That's gonna be one beauty of a guitar.  nice guitar

From what I read it sounds like there was an abundance there at one time - I  bet the furniture is beautiful!

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 10:58:58 PM »

Must be great to get to play the new ones without having to buy them! 

it's a blessing and a curse George!   I've tried to live a simple life and not have a lot of stuff around - but Bill makes it tough!!

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 01:32:09 PM »

I wonder if he builds a 1 11/16 inch nut width in a 25.5 inch scale?  Just thinking I don't have a jumbo shaped like that, with a port, made out of the fine woods he uses...  Likely I cannot afford to buy one...

George
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 05:25:45 PM »

I wonder if he builds a 1 11/16 inch nut width in a 25.5 inch scale?  Just thinking I don't have a jumbo shaped like that, with a port, made out of the fine woods he uses...  Likely I cannot afford to buy one...

I know he's built 1 11/16 in the past - standard scale for him his 25.6 I think -

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 10:49:51 PM »

Stopped by your new shop while I was in Midland today but you weren't there, maybe I'll get to meet you next time I'm in town. The wife and I were doing some shopping and I had to stop by Mid Michigan Music. They didn't have anything that impressed me, apparently they have a new owner? There acoustic room was lacking.

Roger

fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 11:00:57 PM »

Stopped by your new shop while I was in Midland today but you weren't there, maybe I'll get to meet you next time I'm in town. The wife and I were doing some shopping and I had to stop by Mid Michigan Music. They didn't have anything that impressed me, apparently they have a new owner? There acoustic room was lacking.

Oh wow - I wish I had known.    If it was between about 10 and 3 I was on the golf course or working out at another local facility.  There are new owners at the MMM store - Rick owned it for many years (we play golf once in a while) and has sold it.   I've not been in since.   They sell a lot of stuff on Ebay - I know that.

Give me a heads up next time you are in town.....after golf season is over I'm here more!

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 11:06:34 PM »

What is that nice course you drive by on Eastman coming out of town?  Looks pretty challenging.

Roger

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: