Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who plays loud anymore?  (Read 4081 times)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 03:47:38 PM »

All that being said, I mostly plug in to a MackAmp Gem 2.0 with a choice between 4 and 0.4 watts. I can turn it up full, get wonderful natural tube distortion with out hurting any ears or bothering the neighbors. 

Yup, I used that very amp with my band at a blues festival last week-end, it mic's beautifully too!

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 05:20:16 PM »

There is a correspondence between volume and tone ... and higher (but not ear-splitting) volume does help some guitars and amps hit their "sweet spot." I like to turn up at home when my wife's not around - it has more energy, and the improvement in tone coming from the amp is noticeable... the amps I play through aren't huge; I have a Princeton Reissue (12w) and a Carr Rambler 2x10 (14w/28w). I also have a Peavey Classic 50 built into a custom 2x10 cab about the size of the Carr; it doesn't really get much louder than the Carr (before it starts sounding crappy/harsh). So none of these are going to be ear-splitting.

I've gone to a local club which has a '40's/'50's style Jazz/Big Band playing every Monday night. With 8-10 horns on stage, they're LOUD, but I don't see any of the old folks who are there to dance complaining. But that's because, while it's loud, it's not painful; so there IS a difference.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2015, 10:59:48 PM »

Once the speakers start to distort it's not music anymore it's noise.  I hate going to see a band where it starts out ok but they slowly start edging the volume up until it sounds like crap. Those sound guys should be fired, whether it be from overdriving the speakers or the amps it's just not good.
Some bands are very particular about there sound being perfect, the Eagles come to mind.  I want loud distortion free music that never hurts my ears.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2015, 03:03:32 AM »

Most national acts hit 95db or more at stage volumn and want at least 125db for FOH.They also spread out so much that they can no longer hear the other players amp just whats in the monitor then they complain that that need more in the monitor which at this point is almost as loud as the mains and the FOH guy turns up to counter that.As a FOH guy my volumn is set thats it,if the stage volumn gets so loud that if I mute a mic and notice no change out front I signal the front man to have a word with the offender.If the vocalist is straining to hear himself/herself in the monitor its tooooo loud on stage and they can hurt themself so stage volumn HAS TOO BE LOWERED.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2015, 06:19:01 AM »

I saw another Toronto band, Big Sugar, in a local bar many years ago and they played loud enough for Shea Stadium. I found out later that part of their shtick was being the loudest band in the world. Their fans knew this and most had ear plugs. Painful is not fun and they sounded like crap. Maybe Metric was trying to take a page from their book.

Second loudest was Elvis Costello and The Attractions but they had a bit of an excuse as they were trying to deal with an absolutely terrible sounding venue. I blame the damage in my right ear on that show.

Third were Blind Faith, at Varsity Stadium, who were not so bad but when Rick Gretsch began the violin solo in Sea of Joy, the first twenty rows hit the deck with their hands over their ears. AIR RAID! Unbelievable.

There's loud, very loud and then there's painful. 

I'm Ok with very loud, but not with painful.  What's the point really?

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2015, 12:30:27 PM »

Once the speakers start to distort it's not music anymore it's noise.  I hate going to see a band where it starts out ok but they slowly start edging the volume up until it sounds like crap. Those sound guys should be fired, whether it be from overdriving the speakers or the amps it's just not good.
Some bands are very particular about there sound being perfect, the Eagles come to mind.  I want loud distortion free music that never hurts my ears.

Are we talking about musical taste or volume? Or does one have something to do with the other? One of the worst concerts I've ever seen was Gordon Lightfoot on his comeback tour. You almost could have heard a pin drop while they were playing! That was pathetic. It's a concert. You have to move some air.     
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2015, 02:24:20 PM »

And then there was THIS!!!
Quietest concert ever, only in Canada you say?

http://mikesbloggityblog.com/hedley-with-headphones-the-quietest-concert-ever/

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2015, 02:46:27 PM »

Are we talking about musical taste or volume? Or does one have something to do with the other.
Volume, I don't think that the type of music makes a difference. In general I think it's the noise that hurts your ears not the music.
I agree with you on Gord, needed more volume.  It seemed like his voice was weak and he wanted less volume on the instruments to compensate.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
bargemule

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2015, 01:52:23 AM »

I think there is a difference in how loud some music should be. Last year I saw Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings in an acoustically tuned 2000 seat auditorium. They were loud enough to hear all the subtle nuances of their acoustic instruments and their wonderful harmonies. A few weeks later, i saw The Pixies in an old movie theatre. It was absolutely thunderous. Electric guitars making my bones rattle, my innards vibrate, my ears ring all the next day. Glorious.

When I play with friends, it's usually acoustic instruments, no drums. But they often like to plug in anyway, so it forces me to also. It can be a lot of fun turning the amps up and rockin out for awhile.  .  Makes me remember I'm 58 and feeling great!

Larrivée OM-03R
Simon & Patrick Pro Rosewood dread
Taylor GS mini Mahogany
Fender American Tele w/Bbender

Your guitar is not really a guitar.
Your guitar is a divining rod. Use it to find spirits in the other world and bring them over.
Captain Beefheart
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2015, 04:09:58 AM »

I think there is a difference in how loud some music should be. Last year I saw Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings in an acoustically tuned 2000 seat auditorium. They were loud enough to hear all the subtle nuances of their acoustic instruments and their wonderful harmonies. A few weeks later, i saw The Pixies in an old movie theatre. It was absolutely thunderous. Electric guitars making my bones rattle, my innards vibrate, my ears ring all the next day. Glorious.

When I play with friends, it's usually acoustic instruments, no drums. But they often like to plug in anyway, so it forces me to also. It can be a lot of fun turning the amps up and rockin out for awhile.  .  Makes me remember I'm 58 and feeling great!

^ Yep. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: