Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who plays loud anymore?  (Read 4335 times)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2015, 04:05:24 AM »

Just trying to stir it up a bit around here.

I've certainly gathered that this is a mostly acoustic forum.
I know there's a few electric players around here, with Larrivee electrics and other guitars.

Anyone play LOUD anymore? with more than say a 10 watt solid state amp?
 Like wife leaving to go shopping, neighbours complaining, hurt your ears like you did when you were young loud?

Or are folks all considerate, small amp, be nice, and don't scare the pets players?
Cranking it up through 20-50 (and then some) watts of pure tube power with pedals and an RS4 (or what have you), can shave a year or two off your rapidly thinning hairline.
(or just get you evicted).
 just had to ask....

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 07:27:47 AM »

I like playing loud.  But how loud is too loud?  I think it depends on where you live and the tolerance of your partner and the neighbours.  The loudest amp setup I currently have is a 15 watt tube Fender Superchamp X2 head to which I attach either a marshal 4X10 cab or one of my 2 custom built 1X12" speaker cabs.  I play it in the basement of my 2-story house, never on the main floor.  That setup is so loud that I could never crank it up past about 7 on the amp without driving my wife out of the house.  Of course, I'm downstairs loving it and destroying a few more hair cells in my inner ear in the process.

I also have an older combo version of that amp, the Superchamp XD which has a 10" speaker in it.  I use it to test guitars that I have set up or done work on or whatever.  In the summer, it sits on my workbench in my garage.  I often open the big garage door and play whatever electric guitar I have just worked on through it.  The neighbours and local dog walkers are subjected to my playing whether they like it or not.  I have never had a complaint, and most of the comments are positive.  Still, in that scenario, I don't think I've ever cranked up that amp past about 5 or 6.

I haven't gigged for a while now, but my thinking is my little 15 watt tube amp. has enough power for me to hear it onstage and, properly miked, will sound just fine out front.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 01:11:59 PM »

I use to call my ex the "turner downer" and me the "turner upper". I finished work at four and she worked until five so I was almost always home before her. First thing she'd do upon entering the house was turn down the stereo. No wonder it didn't work. Anyway, define loud ... but could you speak up?   
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 01:18:16 PM »

Music listening should be in-your-face fill-the-room and rattle-the-windows Loud.  If where/who you live with makes that impossible, buy a set of AKG700 series headphones and crank up the headphone amp!  Almost, nearly the same thing and does not offend anyone...

George
Tuba Mike

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 01:31:54 PM »

Me! 

Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 02:10:05 PM »

Huh?  Did you say something?

Ed
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 03:39:56 PM »

I stopped playing loud many years ago.My last gig setup was my 76 Princeton reverb which is 12 watt's miced into a powered PA cab that was about 250 watt's.I also ran my acoustic and midi thru it.I was self contand and if I needed to be louder I could be.Now I just run the Princeton and mic it for FOH.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 01:38:20 AM »

Music listening should be in-your-face fill-the-room and rattle-the-windows Loud.  If where/who you live with makes that impossible, buy a set of AKG700 series headphones and crank up the headphone amp!  Almost, nearly the same thing and does not offend anyone...

I listened to most of my LPs and tapes that way for many years, back in the day.  Great way to listen to rock music, etc.  My hearing has suffered from doing that, however.

headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 03:16:44 AM »

I listened to most of my LPs and tapes that way for many years, back in the day.  Great way to listen to rock musics, etc.  My hearing has suffered from doing that, however.

"Listened"? what a concept!
 you mean, like when we all had the BEST stereo's money could buy, and we would buy the latest LP of our choice, carefully set it on the turntable (with our $100 needle/cartridge) and then SIT DOWN, pour a glass of what ever, and intensely listen to the entire side, then flip the record over, and repeat that ceremony until we had thoroughly engaged with the entire record?
 THAT kind of actual listen?
Unlike now, when we download highly compressed recordings and play them through an MP3 player in some stupid Bose "dock" and do 10 other things while it's playing?
)not me, but it seems that is how most people "listen" to their music these days, or not even a fancy overpriced BOSE thing, but some junky ipod dock thingy...
What kind of listenning is THAT?

OK, now THAT rant is over, in the winter, )Canadian very cold snowy winters) I have been known to set up one of my PA systems in my basement studio.
 SERIOUS 550 watt full range monitors.
 One on either side of me pointing at my head.
 Stereo Mackie mixer, with stereo high end effects unit, pan channels hard left, hard right.
Strap on the RS4, dial up some nasty distortion, with delay, and play, stupid loud for about 10 minutes.

We usually don't see the cat for a few days afterwards, and even though all the windows are closed, and it's the middle of the day, I get weird looks from the neighbours for about a month afterwards...

Like over 50?

L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 04:03:39 AM »

Kevin, to answer the title of your post directly, the Toronto-based band,  Metric plays too loud.

My wife and I and another couple saw them a couple of months ago at Rexall Place here in Edmonton (where the Oilers play).  They were on before Imagine Dragon.  They literally played at an ear-damaging level.  My wife had to leave the arena and go outside as the sound pressure level was too much for her ears.  She is one of those people who gets terrible ear pain when ascending and descending in airplanes.  I could barely stand it myself.  I stayed outside with her until the band was done.  When we came back in, we noticed several people who were experiencing pain in their ears.  Now that is loud!  And that was in a hockey arena to boot, and our seats were a long way from the PA array.

Luckily, Imagine Dragon was not quite so loud and she could enjoy that part of the night.

headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 12:04:25 PM »

regarding sound volume at sports stadiums, I would put that one on the FOH sound crew.
The band might not even have any idea how loud the house mix is.....

Like over 50?

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 01:10:06 PM »

Kevin, to answer the title of your post directly, the Toronto-based band,  Metric plays too loud.

My wife and I and another couple saw them a couple of months ago at Rexall Place here in Edmonton (where the Oilers play).  They were on before Imagine Dragon.  They literally played at an ear-damaging level.  My wife had to leave the arena and go outside as the sound pressure level was too much for her ears.  She is one of those people who gets terrible ear pain when ascending and descending in airplanes.  I could barely stand it myself.  I stayed outside with her until the band was done.  When we came back in, we noticed several people who were experiencing pain in their ears.  Now that is loud!  And that was in a hockey arena to boot, and our seats were a long way from the PA array.

Luckily, Imagine Dragon was not quite so loud and she could enjoy that part of the night.

I saw another Toronto band, Big Sugar, in a local bar many years ago and they played loud enough for Shea Stadium. I found out later that part of their shtick was being the loudest band in the world. Their fans knew this and most had ear plugs. Painful is not fun and they sounded like crap. Maybe Metric was trying to take a page from their book.

Second loudest was Elvis Costello and The Attractions but they had a bit of an excuse as they were trying to deal with an absolutely terrible sounding venue. I blame the damage in my right ear on that show.

Third were Blind Faith, at Varsity Stadium, who were not so bad but when Rick Gretsch began the violin solo in Sea of Joy, the first twenty rows hit the deck with their hands over their ears. AIR RAID! Unbelievable.

There's loud, very loud and then there's painful. 
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 02:12:17 PM »

regarding sound volume at sports stadiums, I would put that one on the FOH sound crew.
The band might not even have any idea how loud the house mix is.....

AH NO....I do lots of FOH work many bands have there own FOH person and they will tell them what to do..I have had managers come to me telling me to turn it up and I've had band members yell at me for not blasting the main's.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 06:16:58 PM »

AH NO....I do lots of FOH work many bands have there own FOH person and they will tell them what to do..I have had managers come to me telling me to turn it up and I've had band members yell at me for not blasting the main's.

This drives me crazy...even in several bands my sons play in (in their mid-20's) - the sound guys BLAST the sound so loud that it's unintelligible. Not just the words, but you can't hear the various instruments. Even my sons want the music to be loud, and I get that to a point - but I've tried to help them understand they would have more happy fans if the music sounded GOOD, not just LOUD... They'll learn someday.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 04:15:14 AM »

interesting comments, I figure folkks are fifty plus right?

is it true then,,, "if it's too loud. you're too old"?

I wasn't really referring to other bands  with my OP. just wanted to know if any other "geezers" just liked to crank it,once in a while, just for the "heck" of it.

I learned a very valuable lesson many years ago in clubs, which was, if you want to get people to listen, DON'T turn up.
 Turn down.
 but that's another thread........

Like over 50?

eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2015, 11:29:10 AM »

interesting comments, I figure folkks are fifty plus right?

is it true then,,, "if it's too loud. you're too old"?

I wasn't really referring to other bands  with my OP. just wanted to know if any other "geezers" just liked to crank it,once in a while, just for the "heck" of it.

I learned a very valuable lesson many years ago in clubs, which was, if you want to get people to listen, DON'T turn up.
 Turn down.
 but that's another thread........

Well, yes.  Every once in a while, when the wife and kids are out, I turn things up a bit.  Not pain loud, not 'neighbors call the cops' loud, but louder than it needs to be, just 'cause.  Because somewhere deep down, I am a bada$$ geetar player.  Lol.  And, it sounds cool that way.

Ed
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2015, 12:23:40 PM »

For a long time now I have concluded that loud is a substitute for talent. "They must be good : it hurts to listen to them." Way too many people have hearing damage (which must explain the corresponding popularity of Taylor guitars).   I only go to small scale acoustic performances and often leave if the guitarist plugs in.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2015, 02:32:50 PM »

However, I think it should be obvious that some music needs to be loud or it makes no sense. Listen to Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, The Clash or The Sex Pistols at parlor levels? C'mon. I like loud. It's important to one of the styles of music I play and paramount in a lot the music I like. Ears don't need to bleed but air needs to be moved.

The Beatles toured and a lot of people, even those in attendance, didn't hear them for the screaming and pitiful P.A.'s of the period. It was one of the reasons they stopped playing in public. Many people aren't aware of one other thing the Bard of Hibbing pioneered. Bob Dylan and The Hawks should be thanked for their contribution to modern sound systems and increased volumes. It wasn't only the electric guitar that started the booing at Newport and thereafter, Dylan and the band (some members of the Butterfield Blues Band and Al Kooper) were very loud especially for a folk festival. Roadhouse loud. Pete Seeger was not amused. But then with all the booing on the US tour that followed and, in Europe, rhythmic clapping, Dylan and the boys put together something that would guarantee no crowd was going to drown him out. It made for pin their ears back volumes, partly in self defense and partly in joyful discovery. As can be heard at the beginning of Like a Rolling Stone at the 1966 "Judas" concert,  Dylan may have been the first rock'n'roller to turn to the band and say, "Play it ____ing loud." And now you know the rest of the story.    
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2015, 02:35:59 PM »

Though I'm over 50 back in my 20's I use to play thru 3 Marshall stacks,one nite after a gig my ears wouldn't stop ringing.This went on for 3 days,after the third day I sold my amps and started using a single Twin reverb with a Fender 2x12 ext. cab.That was good for about a year.After the band broke up I bought my Princeton Reverb and though I used a Super Reverb and a Bassman with a 2x12 cab I played at a much lower volumn.It was a "I'm getting to old to lift this s**t" moment.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2015, 03:07:21 PM »

All that being said, I mostly plug in to a MackAmp Gem 2.0 with a choice between 4 and 0.4 watts. I can turn it up full, get wonderful natural tube distortion with out hurting any ears or bothering the neighbors. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: