You may have too many guitars when...

Started by Danny, August 21, 2015, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Let me back up justa little. We were meeting some folks new to us last night and each of us shared a little about ourselves. When my turn came I said something about being a semi-retired A/C contractor,  blah,  blah.  And my wife added that I was a guitar nut , and had more guitars than I could remember. (Something like that)
       Then I remembered when we sold our last house a few weeks later the new owner called and said some workers had found three guitars :whistling:
        I thanked him and said I'd be right over. One was somebodies first build ever, can't remember the second one, but the third was a Kalamazoo made old Gibson dread. The workers were drooling a bit over that one and made some remarks about how they wrestled with calling me.
         I offered the other two for wall hangings to the new owner and took the gibby home, in its nice TKL case.

So that's my story, any one else have a too many story.

Any time I'm asked how many guitars I have, I have to name them all in my head before I give them the total.  I usually answer in terms of how many electrics, basses, and acoustics I have.  The number changes too often for me to remember if the total I figured out last time is still the same this time. :wacko:

I often buy guitars that have potential but need repairs.  I do this both to hone my "luthier" skills, and to hopefully re-sell them at a bit of a profit so I can buy tools and parts or even more guitars!  If they have been repaired and made playable again, but haven't yet been sold, then I count them as part of my "herd".  Sometimes, they turn out to be keepers.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I can relate. When asked how many, I reply, "Acoustic or electric? Basses, mandolins and ukuleles don't count right?"  :laughin:

Dan, you've got me there. I've forgotten about guitars I have but have never left them behind when moving.  :beer 

Me neither. ditto Thomas.  Never knowingly left one behind.

To me you know you might have too many when it requires a detailed plan to figure out how to add another case to your temperature and humidity controlled guitar storage area.

Another clue would be when your guitar storage area resembles the case storage area in a music store.

Earlier this year, I heard from another old man guitar player from up north that had suffered a total loss of all his equipment in a fire right at Christmas time last year.  He was down and out because his collection of guitars and equipment he lost spanned 40 years and none of it was insured, he lives on disability from a serious injury he recevied from a buffalo while working a ranch in Colorado.  I decided (because I had too many) to do the right thing and share my good fortune with his misfortune.  So, I sent him an EVH guitar, case, mixer, headphones, vocal unit, cords, tuner, strap, etc. to get him back started again.  This act of kindness helped put him back in good spirits and also prompted others to help him out as well.  I thoroughly believe that if you "pay it forward" you will never be unhappy about it.

In this case, it just created a vacant storage space that was soon filled up again with another acquisition!

Really, you can never have too many...
George

May. Have left a couple behind. I donno :blush:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Like I always say, "It's not the guitars, it's the darn cases!"  :laughin:

I never know exactly how many (doesn't matter anyways).
It's when either I can't find a specific one, and I have to think where I might have left it, or when some-one calls me up to remind me that i left a guitar there, and when or if i might e coming to get it.
Now that's just plain sick, and very much gluttony....
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on August 24, 2015, 12:34:05 AM
I never know exactly how many (doesn't matter anyways).
It's when either I can't find a specific one, and I have to think where I might have left it, or when some-one calls me up to remind me that i left a guitar there, and when or if i might e coming to get it.
Now that's just plain sick, and very much gluttony....

[/My intention was to share a topic we might get a few laughs from, but you seem to be I'll at ease about this subject. Maybe it's a wake up call for some of us, I don't know.
     I will say I'm ready to give a guitar away to the right person at the right time.]

Well, can't talk for anyone else but I'm having a few laughs aboot it.  :roll 

First there is no such thing as tooo many guitars next I have never left a guitar behind. :cheers
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I wonder how many of us have too many calories  :winkin:

Quote from: Strings4Him on August 25, 2015, 05:41:14 AM
I wonder how many of us have too many calories  :winkin:

It's not guitars, it's whether you use them or not. It's not the calories, it's whether you need them or not. I haven't changed my eating habits one bit but since I got my big dog and take her for daily runs (she runs), I've lost over 15 pounds and I'm a middleweight again! 
In either case, you don't want to be merely a collector.  :laughin:

Rotate them so they all get played, collecting is not nearly as much fun.  I enjoy reuniting with some of my older favorites from time to time.  They also need to be checked out occasionally and sometimes setup is in order...
George

More than one is too many for me, simply deciding which one to play at the moment can be daunting, and I have only three.  :?  :wacko:
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on August 25, 2015, 12:10:17 PM
More than one is too many for me, simply deciding which one to play at the moment can be daunting, and I have only three.  :?  :wacko:

:bgrin:   Good news-----  I can help you out....   :bgrin:   BobW...

Quote from: bobw on August 25, 2015, 01:05:09 PM

:bgrin:   Good news-----  I can help you out....   :bgrin:   BobW...

Great! Relieve me of my burden Bob. (see oo-03R in for sale section)  :thumb
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing