Best Obscure Albums

Started by ducktrapper, August 15, 2015, 11:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two from my collection:

Terry Reid's 'River' is an outstanding but little heard album with David Lindley playing a variety of stringed instrument. Stunningly good album especially considering its obscurity.

Cafe Jacques - 'Around the Back'. Like a cross between Little Feat and Steely Dan. Excellent songs, playing and singing.   

I bought Terry Reid's 1969 album when it first came out after hearing it at a friends house.  Haven't listened to it for awhile since I no longer have a turntable. 

I have a few obscure records in my collection.  I'll think about it and posts few later

Quote from: tuffythepug on August 15, 2015, 12:04:24 PM
I bought Terry Reid's 1969 album when it first came out after hearing it at a friends house.  Haven't listened to it for awhile since I no longer have a turntable. 

I have a few obscure records in my collection.  I'll think about it and posts few later

After almost two years, I am suddenly turntable rich and am plumbing the depths.  :bgrin: 

Here's a few from my "obscure" collection.    Some may not seem obscure to someone else but I don't believe theyve gotten much attention over the years

1.  The Seeds..     early punk rockish music to abuse substances to
2.  Captain Beefheart  ...   "Safe As Milk" ...    (see #1)
3.  Dr. John "The Night Tripper"..  spooky Voodoo stuff that has some nice offbeat tunes on it
4.  Sons Of Champlin..   "Loosen Up Naturally"...   A favorite of mine since my days loafing in Golden Gate Park in S.F..   Some of these guys lived nearby.   A double album that has    horns and a Xylophone in addition to the standard drums, bass , keyboard and a couple of kick -xxx guitars,  extended jams, and a tight groove for those who appreciate such things !
5.   Moby Grape  "Grape Jam"...     Another S.F. band that was an early "super-group" of locals.  
6.  Super Session   ...  Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper, and Steven Stills.   Great album in which Steve Stills shows you what a wah wah is for on Season of the Witch.        
7.  Fleetwood Mac..   "English Rose"  The Fleetwood Mac most people are familiar with bears no resemblance to the early Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green.   British musicians interpreting
American black blues musicians impeccably.    One of my all time favorite blues records

I guess that's enough from me..    what you got ?

Hot Burritos: The Flying Burrito Brothers.
(Other anything by these guys.)

Quote from: Queequeg on August 15, 2015, 03:02:38 PM
Hot Burritos: The Flying Burrito Brothers.
(Other anything by these guys.)

yeah that's a good one.  

Lowel George's Thanks I'll Eat it here......Amazingly wonderful.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on August 15, 2015, 07:41:30 PM

I've got the Feat's Waiting for Columbus double album.   It's a gem too.

Quote from: unclrob on August 15, 2015, 07:41:30 PM

I have that one. I'll give it a listen, it's been a while.

Funny thing about Terry Reid, who was apparently always touted as the next big thing or boy most likely to succeed, is he's now famous for the bands he was rumored to have been invited to join but didn't. Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones among others. Quite the voice. 

Fate!!! He could have been Robert Plant & Plant him!! Both extremely talented one who is worshipped and the other ......
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

What a trip down memory lane! My Little Feat and Flying Burrito Brothers albums were played until they wore out; fortunately, CDs were available. My wife and daughters wouldn't go on a trip with me if those CDs were in the car. Also, I haven't thought about the Sons of Champlain in years. Wonder if that's available now?

Quote from: nctom on August 16, 2015, 10:42:56 AM
What a trip down memory lane! My Little Feat and Flying Burrito Brothers albums were played until they wore out; fortunately, CDs were available. My wife and daughters wouldn't go on a trip with me if those CDs were in the car. Also, I haven't thought about the Sons of Champlain in years. Wonder if that's available now?

Go to Amazon. Almost everything's available now.

Speaking of obscure and Amazon, I recently picked up ''Aquashow'' by Elliot Murphy, one of the many "new Dylans" from back then. Not bad.

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 16, 2015, 12:01:00 PM
Go to Amazon. Almost everything's available now.

.com is much more pleasurable than .ca so lucky you  :mad:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: nctom on August 16, 2015, 10:42:56 AM

Yes, it's available on Amazon.  I wore out my LP so I bought the cd not  too long ago.    Not too many Sons fans around.   I have fond memories of watching them in Golden Gate Park for free on Sunday afternoons back in the "olden days"

Does The Dead's Blues For Allah count as obscure? Great album, maybe Garcia's masterpiece, and fabulous art work.

Quote from: tuffythepug on August 15, 2015, 01:07:38 PM
Here's a few from my "obscure" collection.    Some may not seem obscure to someone else but I don't believe theyve gotten much attention over the years

1.  The Seeds..     early punk rockish music to abuse substances to
2.  Captain Beefheart  ...   "Safe As Milk" ...    (see #1)
3.  Dr. John "The Night Tripper"..  spooky Voodoo stuff that has some nice offbeat tunes on it
4.  Sons Of Champlin..   "Loosen Up Naturally"...   A favorite of mine since my days loafing in Golden Gate Park in S.F..   Some of these guys lived nearby.   A double album that has    horns and a Xylophone in addition to the standard drums, bass , keyboard and a couple of kick -xxx guitars,  extended jams, and a tight groove for those who appreciate such things !
5.   Moby Grape  "Grape Jam"...     Another S.F. band that was an early "super-group" of locals.  
6.  Super Session   ...  Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper, and Steven Stills.   Great album in which Steve Stills shows you what a wah wah is for on Season of the Witch.        
7.  Fleetwood Mac..   "English Rose"  The Fleetwood Mac most people are familiar with bears no resemblance to the early Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green.   British musicians interpreting
American black blues musicians impeccably.    One of my all time favorite blues records

I guess that's enough from me..    what you got ?

Ah yes....Sky Saxon singing Mr. Farmer and You're Pushin Too Hard.......that was music.

One of my Favs is Cosmic Wheels, by Donovan.
Or, how's about Blows Against the Empire.  Or, If Only I Could Remember My Name by David Crosby....Cowboy Movie from that album is one of the best "story songs" I have ever heard.....love that last line   "you know that Indian Girl?  She wasn't an Indian, she was the law."

Me and my good partners we were riding back to our camp
We were feeling very fine air was clear and slightly damp
We were riding back to have ourselves a party
To celebrate the robbing of the train

We were talking kind of low and lazy
About not having to go out soon again, oh yeah
You know we hadn't been back home two hours
We heard a hawk cry out in the night
And you know that's a signal from young Billy, who's our sentry

He's saying something here ain't exactly right, oh
So we quick grabbed some of our hardware
Stumbled out of our home
Two minutes flat we had found her an Indian girl all alone

And Eli said, "Let's take her back to the cabin"
I said, "You don't know she might be the law, yeah"
He said, smiling kind of nasty
"It ain't too damn likely she'll beat me to the draw", Oh yeah

We were walking back through the darkness
I heard the Duke, he's our dynamiter, say
He said, "What's your name, sweet little Indian girl?"
She said, "Raven" and she looked away
Right then I didn't trust her, no and I said so, oh no

Now, Eli, he's our fastest gunner
He's kind of mean and young from the South
He said, "Fat Albert, you're getting kind of old and weird now"
You'd better get your twelve gauge or shut your mouth and -CENSORED- now
And I [Incomprehensible]

Now Eli and the Duke they got down to it
They each wanted the Indian girl for their own
But when they finally got around to asking her
You know she said, She'd come to take young Billy home
Eli said, He'd kill young Billy he'd kill the Duke
And probably me too, yeah, the Indian girl said, "Go ahead now do it"
I said, "Stop it", and she bit my thumb nearly clean through

And when they finally started to break down the door
I smeared my face up with blood from my thumb, yeah
I laid down on the floor and played real good possum
You know I'm crazy but I ain't real dumb, oh no

Now I'm dying here in Albuquerque
I must be the sorriest sight you ever saw
You know the reason I'm the only man here to tell it
You know that Indian girl, she wasn't an Indian she was the law, oh

My entry for best obscure album, and still one of my favorites. These guys were lightyears ahead of their time ('68-'70)

Aorta toured with Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, and The Mothers of Invention, but never got really famous.

Aorta 1968

Jim Donlinger
Jim Nyeholt
Billy Herman
Bobby Jones

Tracks:
Main Vein I 2:17
Heart Attack 2:30
What's in My Mind's Eye 2:47
Magic Bed 2:37
Main Vein II 1:25
Sleep Tight 4:38
Catalyptic 3:32
Main Vein III 0:42
Sprinkle Road to Cork Street 3:06
Ode to Missy Mxyzosptlk 3:08
Strange 4:18
A Thousand Thoughts 3:48
Thoughts and Feelings / Main Vein IV 4:07

This first album covers an enormous amount of musical territory. From Very Hard (for the time) to pop-ish, to progressive instrumental genus level in my book. Plus, they were into the Beatle-esqe between song fills, killer grooves, and super tight 3-4 part harmonies that make the entire album a non-stop journey through space and time.  And let's not forget their symphonic collaborations and use of Classical music excerpts.
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Now that's obscure! I was beginning to think that because I had most of the L.P.s mentioned that I specialized in obscure. 

I listened to my other Terry Reed album, Seed of Memory, last night. Night and day between the two. I didn't think I liked it but it's actually pretty good. Produced by Graham Nash, it's attempting to be way more accessible than River and pretty much succeeds. River still better though.

Anyone listen to Big Star? Maybe not so obscure anymore but at one time they may have been the answer to the question, "What is the best album that almost no one has heard?"   

Brian Augar,Subdude's,David Linley and El Rayo Ex he has the best vesion of Papa was a rolling stone other then the original.Though I no longer have any of there LP's nor can I remember the bands name the tune is "Smiling Face's".
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help