Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SM81 vs SM57  (Read 2534 times)
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2015, 06:18:41 PM »

Which is best for acoustic amplification in noisy environment? Such as restaurant with lots of ambient noise.

SM81 or SM57? 

Thanks!
David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 07:24:21 PM »

They'll both work well but with different settings,less gain with the 81 and tad more gain on the 57.I've used both but in reality a pu will do the job best,that said I still prefer mic's but with a pu its one less mic stand for someone to bump.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 07:27:55 PM »

They'll both work well but with different settings,less gain with the 81 and tad more gain on the 57.I've used both but in reality a pu will do the job best,that said I still prefer mic's but with a pu its one less mic stand for someone to bump.

Thanks, Rob.  I'd be using it as well as pickup. Some shows I want to get best sound possible.  Just curious if anyone had real-life experience with both and which would work best with some ambient noise going on.  (not quiet concert venue :) )

www.davidberchtold.com
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 07:34:51 PM »

The 57 is always my first choice,I like it about 3-4" away from the soundhole.I've used this setup outdoors on a restaurant on the main street without getting much ambient noise.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 01:46:02 PM »

The 57 is always my first choice,I like it about 3-4" away from the soundhole.I've used this setup outdoors on a restaurant on the main street without getting much ambient noise.

Thanks!

www.davidberchtold.com
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 04:37:34 PM »

No first hand experience here, but various makers have mics that clip on externally.  They seem to get pretty good reviews.  Just an example...

http://www.kksound.com/products/meridian.php

The nice thing about that approach is you can move around and don't have to be quite so rigid in your stance. 

I've never liked internal mics.

Ed
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 07:13:10 PM »

No first hand experience here, but various makers have mics that clip on externally.  They seem to get pretty good reviews.  Just an example...

http://www.kksound.com/products/meridian.php

The nice thing about that approach is you can move around and don't have to be quite so rigid in your stance.  

I've never liked internal mics.

Ed

Thanks, Ed. Not an option for me as I almost always take at least two guitars to a show.  Can't afford a mic on every guitar, and won't mess with switching them around mid-stream.

www.davidberchtold.com
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 09:18:46 PM »

Hi David,

I'd take the SM81 over the SM57 for recording.  For live applications, I'd expect that you'll cut out some of the frequencies that the SM81 picks up that the SM57 doesn't.  That would be low end, and possibly high end that either don't serve you well or are counterproductive in a live situation.

Here's a nice article about the SM 81 at Recording Hacks

If you want to get an accurate reproduction of the sound of your guitar, you may end up EQ'ing out some of the high end with the SM 57

--∈∞ΘΞ Please click the picture for more details ΞΘ∞∋--

B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 01:55:13 AM »

Two wildly different choices.  The 81 is a small diaphragm condenser.  Vastly superior when recording acoustics in the studio but I would not use the 81 live unless you have full control over the venue's sound and know what you're doing or really trust the house sound guy.  You don't want wild feedback in a restaurant.  If you can pull it off though, it's a much nicer sounding mic.  The 57 is pretty raunchy on acoustics.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
sms_guitar

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 01:43:51 PM »

David,
Which is best for acoustic amplification in noisy environment? Such as restaurant with lots of ambient noise.

Why not have a look a the MiniFlex 2Mic. These are a 2-mic design, which assists in getting the best sound - as well as minimizing feedback.

Sincerely,
Dell Krauchi
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 03:48:22 AM »

Thanks, Ed. Not an option for me as I almost always take at least two guitars to a show.  Can't afford a mic on every guitar, and won't mess with switching them around mid-stream.

I think that the solution Ed showed would be less farting around switching between guitars as adjusting a microphone stand between different guitars.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 07:40:28 AM »

Hi David,

Thanks, Rob.  I'd be using it as well as pickup. Some shows I want to get best sound possible.  Just curious if anyone had real-life experience with both and which would work best with some ambient noise going on.  (not quiet concert venue :) )

I just re-read this thread.

If you using  decent pickup(s) anyway, if you are just looking for some realism and air the SM57 will do that for you. 

If there is some ambient noise, then going to a lot of trouble and expense to get the best sound possible - well, you're doing that for you because the audience isn't going to hear the difference.

The higher the noise floor, the less dynamic range you have. The ambient noise is going to drown out the finer edges of your performances.

There's a fellow who comes through town (still probably does 200+ shows a year) - and when he does a benefit - he's one of the few for whom I'll do sound.
He always uses a pickup in his guitar (sometimes an L72, other times a Martin) and he always uses a microphone on a boom stand for the guitar too. He moves in closer and farther away from that microphone depending what he's doing with the guitar.  I've used various (and pricey) microphones for this, and he's just as happy with an SM57 or SM58. This is probably because in his 50 years on the road, there was always one or the other available for the job.

You play sitting down don't you?  The fellow of whom I'm speaking always stands. This lets him move around changing the position and angle of the guitar relative to the microphone. It's very interesting the way he works the microphone to great effect.

But the microphone is secondary in all of this, and most of the sound is coming from the pickup in the guitar.

dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 07:28:38 PM »

If you using  decent pickup(s) anyway, if you are just looking for some realism and air the SM57 will do that for you.  

that's what I was looking for, thanks ST.

If there is some ambient noise, then going to a lot of trouble and expense to get the best sound possible - well, you're doing that for you because the audience isn't going to hear the difference.

Actually, there ARE venues were ambient noise is a function of bad room design, not all because of loud audience. although it IS a restaurant, so...   That's the room I'm referring to.

The higher the noise floor, the less dynamic range you have. The ambient noise is going to drown out the finer edges of your performances.

Probably true.  Guess an experiment is in order.  

There's a fellow who comes through town (still probably does 200+ shows a year) - and when he does a benefit - he's one of the few for whom I'll do sound.
He always uses a pickup in his guitar (sometimes an L72, other times a Martin) and he always uses a microphone on a boom stand for the guitar too. He moves in closer and farther away from that microphone depending what he's doing with the guitar.  I've used various (and pricey) microphones for this, and he's just as happy with an SM57 or SM58. This is probably because in his 50 years on the road, there was always one or the other available for the job.

You play sitting down don't you?  The fellow of whom I'm speaking always stands. This lets him move around changing the position and angle of the guitar relative to the microphone. It's very interesting the way he works the microphone to great effect.

I've seen some folks do this as well. some are masters at it.  Mostly still sitting but have done a few shows standing now.  Doesn't feel quite so alien :)

But the microphone is secondary in all of this, and most of the sound is coming from the pickup in the guitar.

that's my goal. Using K&K Pure mini, still.

www.davidberchtold.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: