Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 12 fret 12 string question  (Read 1348 times)
webberink

Ignore
« on: July 21, 2015, 10:41:48 PM »

I have flirted with a number of 12 string guitars over the past 45 years of playing guitar and I have never owned any of them for much more than a year or two.  I don'y own one now and the temptation to flirt again is raising its head.  Something I have thought about some is trying to get a 12 fret 12 string custom built on a L or OM body. What do you think???
Dave

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
JamesN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 11:20:42 PM »

Many years ago I owned a Martin D-12-35, slope shouldered 12-string, 12-fret join. I owned a D-35 6-string, 14-fret join at the same time and honestly to my ears the 12-string did not seem all that much louder or more responsive than it's 6-string counterpart. IMHO, I think the extra responsiveness that a 12-fret join buys you gets somewhat offset by the extra bracing required on a 12-string.

Something else to consider: many folks like to tune down their 12-string a half or full tone and use a capo to raise it to standard tuning. This makes fretting much easier, but when you've got a 12-fret join you run out of real estate that much quicker.

I now own (and will never willingly part with) a Larrivee L-41 12-string, 14-fret join. I think the even responsiveness and clarity that the L body delivers works especially well to eliminate some of the muddiness that many 12-strings suffer from.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 02:50:46 AM »

If I had any money I would love a 12 fret neck joint 12 string.Had a Martin D12-20 that was anice guitar but I hated the slotted headstock.On my wish list is an OM 12 string in maple with a 12 fret neck joint.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 03:05:15 AM »

If I had any money I would love a 12 fret neck joint 12 string.Had a Martin D12-20 that was anice guitar but I hated the slotted headstock.On my wish list is an OM 12 string in maple with a 12 fret neck joint.

I'm with you on that one Rob!

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 06:41:26 AM »

.On my wish list is an OM 12 string in maple with a 12 fret neck joint.

Make mine rosewood.  bigrin

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 03:17:05 AM »

If I had any money I would love a 12 fret neck joint 12 string.
+1

On my wish list is an OM 12 string in maple with a 12 fret neck joint.

12 strings are such different beasties - I'd love to see the Larrivées apply their juju to the 12/12 concept - the way L bodies did to the 6 string steel idea . . .

Every 12 string out there is a beefed up verison of a 6 string model - which makes no sense when you consider what a 12 string has to do acoustically.
webberink

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 07:30:29 PM »

So I would really like to hear more speculation as to what a 12 fret neck join would do to the 12 string sound dynamic.  I respect what James has said that the L body in itself changes the dynamic from a dreadnought by making it sound less "muddy", but what would adding a 12 fret neck join add to the mix?  Also I agree with AZ that most 12 strings are just beefed up six string designs and what would be a real treat would be a 12 string designed from the ground up using a 12 fret neck join as part of that design.
Whatdayathink?
Dave

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 09:34:15 PM »

So I would really like to hear more speculation as to what a 12 fret neck join would do to the 12 string sound dynamic.  I respect what James has said that the L body in itself changes the dynamic from a dreadnought by making it sound less "muddy", but what would adding a 12 fret neck join add to the mix?  Also I agree with AZ that most 12 strings are just beefed up six string designs and what would be a real treat would be a 12 string designed from the ground up using a 12 fret neck join as part of that design.
Whatdayathink?
Dave

Yes sir, I have thought of that as well. With a short scale of course. The trouble is it would need to be a custom build.
I would buy a twelve string first to see if I could play one, then decide for the custom build or not.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: