So ... who wants a Larrivee TeleGib?

Started by Mikeymac, July 08, 2015, 06:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fralin offers a noiseless but the one's I have and have installed were not the noiseless models.That said they are very low in noise and they wouldn't be P90's if they didn't have some noise.When I order P90's I have them make them as close as possible to 52-53 Gibson's and also low ohm's.The one I'm using in the neck is kinda hot at 7.1 ohm's which was at the high end of ohm's of the period.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I have the Larrivee Generation 3 P90's in my RS2 and my RS4 and they are both as quiet as a mouse, no hum whatsoever... I think Matt is doing something different with them.  Regular P90's are noisy and hum.  Same with the P92's and I know Lindy does something different that makes them quiet.  
George

Quote from: georbro3 on November 11, 2015, 10:46:27 AM
I have the Larrivee Generation 3 P90's in my RS2 and my RS4 and they are both as quiet as a mouse, no hum whatsoever... I think Matt is doing something different with them.  Regular P90's are noisy and hum.  Same with the P92's and I know Lindy does something different that makes them quiet.  

Just clarifying  :donut :coffee

I've heard the Larrivee humbuckers listed by "generation" with the Generation III models being the most recent model. However, I've never heard the P-90's described as going through the same kind of evolution in various "generational" models...

...I'd love to have Matthew clarify this, although I know it's really minor thing for him to get involved in here.

BUT, Matthew, if you do:

1) are the P-90's standard single coil pickups? Do they produce less noise than typical P-90's, and if so, why?

2) Are there several generations of evolution to the P-90 models?

Thanks!

:thumbsup
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Most people think P90's are noisey but in reality there not that noisey IMO.The real noise come's from not being properly grounded.Also from outlets not grounded properly,even if the outlet has a ground in the plug sometime's there really not.In clubs if there is any neon any where they will pick up that 60 cycle buzz.I've played P90's on and off since the 70's including 40's and 50's Gibson never had a real problem.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Larrivee's P90's are NOT noisy, that's to do with reversing the magnetic field that Matt figured out, however IMO they are brittle sounding (certainly the bridge pup,) because of the Alnico 8's Matt used.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: Mikeymac on November 10, 2015, 07:20:32 AM
Very nice, Dan - thanks for sharing those pics! Which pickups are in the humbucker'd guitar?

:nice guitar:    :nice guitar:
in the back is a seymoure duncam JB. i wound that 1 up at duncan a few years back. in the front is a duncan "59". the 59's are seymours attempt at recreating the classic Gibson PAF's. it's close, i have PAF's in my 61 SG. The "59" are a sweet pup. The Esquire has the Jerry Donahue signature bridge pup. that thang sounds amazing

Quote from: georbro3 on November 10, 2015, 02:33:44 PM
The new price lists on the Larrivee site do have the MSRP for the Malibu and the other new electric models.  No telling when they will be in production though...  Dan have you heard any rumors?
now George you know i cant say anything. i wouldn't know anyway.its above my pay grade  :donut

Quote from: dlsteel on November 12, 2015, 11:34:58 PM
in the back is a seymoure duncam JB. i wound that 1 up at duncan a few years back. in the front is a duncan "59". the 59's are seymours attempt at recreating the classic Gibson PAF's. it's close, i have PAF's in my 61 SG. The "59" are a sweet pup. The Esquire has the Jerry Donahue signature bridge pup. that thang sounds amazing

So...are you saying you used to work for Seymour Duncan?

Quote from: dlsteel on November 12, 2015, 11:40:29 PM
now George you know i cant say anything. i wouldn't know anyway.its above my pay grade  :donut

LOL, I know Dan.  I keep asking my dealer to query every now and then to see when they might come around to being built.  I am missing my RS4 Rootbeer Burst with Generation 3 Humbuckers real bad.  I can't wait to get a Malibu to fill up all that GAS...
George

Quote from: Mikeymac on November 13, 2015, 08:39:25 AM
So...are you saying you used to work for Seymour Duncan?
no, I just know Seymour. they are about 45 min up the road. I was able one day to go in there and wind 1 pickup. seymours the man, great guy

Quote from: dlsteel on November 13, 2015, 09:44:24 AM
no, I just know Seymour. they are about 45 min up the road. I was able one day to go in there and wind 1 pickup. seymours the man, great guy

That is very cool - thanks for letting us in on that.   :thumb

:donut :coffee

Why is the Bakersfield referred to as a Baker-T?

Quote from: Walkerman on November 27, 2015, 06:38:32 AM
Why is the Bakersfield referred to as a Baker-T?

Well, the logical answer is that any guitar these days that is a Tele copy has a "T" in the name somewhere...

so...... i just did a bit of research, how curious the 1983 Larrivee "tele" I recently acquired, is, in fact the current "malibu" (tele-gib), with a couple changes of course.
The new line appears to be in sunburst and there are covers on Matt Larrivee designed pick ups.
Mine is white, similar headstock, and sports Jean Larrivee designed (and wound) pick-ups.

bridge/stop tail piece different as well

So eating my words here (old guy rant) Evidently I have in fact a "tele-Gib".
mine has a coil tap, making allowing the pickups to be single coil or double.
what a difference 30 some years makes.
what's old, is new again.
Like over 50?

Quote from: headsup on February 22, 2016, 10:47:29 AM

So eating my words here (old guy rant) Evidently I have in fact a "tele-Gib".
mine has a coil tap, making allowing the pickups to be single coil or double.
what a difference 30 some years makes.
what's old, is new again.

So, Is yours a bolt-on neck or neck-through? I know there were some of each design made back then...

But you're right - it's very close. The current "Tele-Gib" (I refer to one I have as a "TelePaulster") does have a stop-tail bridge/tailpiece on it as well...

bolt on, I believe only the RS4's were neck thru, hard to say, the tele models are somewhat rare....
Like over 50?