Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zero Glide Nut System  (Read 6515 times)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2016, 07:51:18 PM »

Here is my take. 
When you are setting up a guitar and are at the point where you are making nut adjustments, the idea is to get the slots just enough higher than the frets so that when you finger at the third fret the string doesn't touch fret one or two. You want this so you don't get buzzing coming from the strings vibrating against the frets behind your finger. If the nut (insert zero fret here) was the same height as the other frets what ever position you fingered the string would be laying on all the frets behind your finger, assuming the neck is perfectly flat.
Ideally you want the string to rise up toward the nut or saddle respectively on both sides of your finger, just more so going to the saddle to allow for the oscillation of the string. When you pluck the string most of the vibration is going on between your finger and the saddle but the string does vibrate going towards the nut.
Hope this makes sense.   

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2016, 10:38:05 PM »

I thought Martin was more about less strings - isn't that why everyone pays so much for those ancient "tenor guitars" (otherwise known as steel string ukuleles)?  whistling

*and when you're done getting off of ducktrapper's lawn, make sure you Stay Out Of My Jello Tree!

And stay way from my skittle pooping unicorn. Martin, like any good guitar maker, is about making the best possible guitar and they have been doing a pretty decent job of it for about a gazillion years. There's a reason everyone copies them. They invented the modern steel string guitar and, as far as I know, have never employed a zero fret. Not saying it won't/don't/can't work but I'm thinking there's a good reason for it. From what I'm hearing here, a zero fret is more difficult to get right than an ordinary bone or plastic nut.   
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2016, 06:05:20 PM »

Here is my take. 
When you are setting up a guitar and are at the point where you are making nut adjustments, the idea is to get the slots just enough higher than the frets so that when you finger at the third fret the string doesn't touch fret one or two. You want this so you don't get buzzing coming from the strings vibrating against the frets behind your finger. If the nut (insert zero fret here) was the same height as the other frets what ever position you fingered the string would be laying on all the frets behind your finger, assuming the neck is perfectly flat.
Ideally you want the string to rise up toward the nut or saddle respectively on both sides of your finger, just more so going to the saddle to allow for the oscillation of the string. When you pluck the string most of the vibration is going on between your finger and the saddle but the string does vibrate going towards the nut.
Hope this makes sense.   

Makes perfect sense and well-described.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: