Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RS-4 - what kind of pickups are these?  (Read 5418 times)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 11:46:58 PM »

Just curious why you all think the RS-4 is the best electric?

Don't get me started.... but since you asked.....
the first step for me was reading David Wren's interview with Matt at the NAMM show several years ago. I hope some-one around here can re post that link?
And having dealt with David (Twelfth Fret-Toronto) many times over the years, it was pretty evident that the R & D aspect of these guitars was about as thorough and exhaustve as only JCL's son could intiate.
So much so, I simply called my old boss Chuck Baker (Rufus Guitar Shop-Vancouver) and asked if he had one, to which he replied, "yup-in tobacco burst",
 he then removed the pick-ups to indicacte they were ML Gen 3's and i simply bought the guitar sight unseen, unplayed.
Matt's own story of hios pick-up design was incredibly intriguing, the specs on the guitar, every single one of them were far superior than any other electric guitar available, so it was a no brainer for me.

Suffice to say, when i got it, I was simply blown away by the purity & depth of tone, on every string, every fret, in any chord voicing I chose to use.
 The materials and workmanship, simply far above any guitars I had previously owned, or owned at that time.
When I discovered there was a Gold Top P90 with Bigsby available, in Oxnard, I grabbed it, sight unseen, and unplayed, another stellar instrument, but I personally wasn't crazy about the bridge pick-up voice (Alnico 8 Magnets, a wee bit too brittle for my own tastes), simple fix.

The extra thick maple cap, the electrical components, and the very best hardware money could buy, with ZERO short cuts, (including Schaller tuners) and most importantly a 25.5 inch scale really capped the deal for me, so much so, I  might just get an early one with lollar imperials.

Can't say enough about the quality of build and the quality of tone from these guitars.
 basically selling most of my other electrics, which all, pretty much paled by comparison.

BTW, I'm not a huge pedal guy, very light tube break up in high qualoity amp stage, some trem, maybe a bit of delay, and a volume pedal for most gigs I get called to do.

Best thing is to simply play one, before guys like me buy them all up... whistling

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 12:25:30 AM »

Kevin thanks so much for your thoughtful reply.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 12:20:02 PM »

Kevin pretty much summed it up. I read the article on the new RS-4 at the 12th Fret and since I just got a rather nice back pay check, I went to my local dealer and asked him to get me one. He brought in five and after much head scratching ... tobacco sunburst? Too many sunburst guitars already. Charcoal? Too PRS. Gold top or Cherry burst? Too Les Paul. I chose the Amber burst. It seemed more unique. It also sounded and played the best of the five although the gold top was close. 
The thing plays and sounds like a dream, has harmonics, over and under tones that I've never experienced before and records like heaven. By the way, never having tried them I can only say that if ML's pickups are actually better than the Lollar Imperials, that would really be saying something indeed because the Lollars are insanely good pickups. 
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 12:46:05 PM »

Ah yes, the harmonics and overtones.
I might only add to that, all guitars previous, (and believe me- a life time of playing and working in guitar shops, I've had them all-has treated me to some beauties for sure.
 Lovely classic vintage stupid expensve guitars, where you play a passage, or chord progression, and get the notes. My experience with the RS4, certainly the HB model has brought a whole new appreciation for the complex (yet subtle) overtones too each note on the finger board.
 Sort of like playing a Steinway 9 foot concert grand, after playing apartment uprights all your life.....

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 02:51:26 PM »

There's a pinch harmonic that I get on the third string at the fourth fret that is to die for. Never been able to reproduce it on my Strat which is generally, a la Robbie Robertson, very good for those type of harmonics. 
vates

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2015, 05:29:31 PM »

I simply called my old boss Chuck Baker (Rufus Guitar Shop-Vancouver)

Gotcha :) I think we'll have a conversation enjoying virtual coffee soon enough    

As soon as my B09 sells locally, I'm going to buy another Larrivee instrument. These are hard to find though. However one of them is listed @Rufus site. I'll PM you when I'm ready if you don't mind. Cheers!

Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: