RS-4 - what kind of pickups are these?

Started by ST, June 25, 2015, 07:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can you help me to identify these pickups?

Anybody have an RS-4 like this?

Comments?

Thanks!

I have a similar RS-4 for sale or trade on AGF..

ST,
Have you tried pulling them out to see what notations are on the back side?  That' all I can suggest.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Thinking of getting this one. Played it the other day. It's a very nice guitar. The trouble is... with my one-in, one-out rule - I can't think of one I'd let go.

Quote from: ST on June 26, 2015, 02:45:23 AM
Thinking of getting this one. Played it the other day. It's a very nice guitar. The trouble is... with my one-in, one-out rule - I can't think of one I'd let go.

RS-4's will become harder to get as time goes on--unless Larrivee revives this model.  Does not sound like they will, though. 

Quote from: ST on June 26, 2015, 02:45:23 AM

I'd let go of that rule.  :beer

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on June 25, 2015, 11:10:14 PM
ST,
Have you tried pulling them out to see what notations are on the back side?  That' all I can suggest.
Hi ST,  The chance of it being something other than a Matt Larrivee PUP is about 1% ( ie. it was custom ordered). I say this as it appears to be a "newer" model RS-4 and they were all speced as ML PUPS
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I agree with the previous comment-dot inlays indicate pretty much the last run of the guitar, so they are most likely ML 3rd gen pups.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Thanks for the inputs guys.

The picture is from the web - not the exact guitar that I'm considering.  I didn't notice the inlays on the neck of the actual guitar, just pickups - so that's what got me hunting around for a picture.

What other kinds of neck inlays might there have been and what would that tell me about the pickups?

It was a really nice guitar - that RS-4, and Ducktrapper, I am thinking of making an exception for this guitar. I've sold-off / traded more than I've acquired over the past 5 years, so maybe I owe myself one.  How's that for silly justification?

I really need to hear how the pickups respond to my playing (and I how I respond to the guitar) through my own rig (Kemper Profiler).  I may just go and buy it.

But if there are any other indications about the pickups based on visual cues about the guitar, I'd appreciate any tips.

Thanks!

ST, haven't you heard, rules are made to be broken !   I've had to come up with my own silly justification in order to avoid having to sell one of mine as my dream Larrivee is being crafted right now in Oxnard.

Quote from: ST on June 26, 2015, 11:11:42 AM

But if there are any other indications about the pickups based on visual cues about the guitar, I'd appreciate any tips.

Thanks!
There are no visual cues that I'm aware of. About the closest you might come to one is the serial # reference;  pretty much all RS-4's with a Ser# less than 104500 had stock Jason Lollar PUPS after that there were some Lollars but mainly ML's ( which many here prefer - I have and likem both)
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Hi Andrew (et al),

I was chompin' at the bit and so, cash in hand I went and had another look.

These are pictures of the guitar.  We opened the pickups and they had no visible markings - I'm guessing then that they must be Lollars because all pictures I've seen of the Larrivée pickups show them as being clearly marked.

I didn't think to take  pictures until the pickups were back in the guitar. Under the neck pickup it has

Name of the Dealer
Cherry Burst
Serial number

The price is  below what I see on ebay and local craigslist.

Because it's new I won't post the price unless you think it's okay given that they are discontinued.

This is a really nice guitar. It plays well. It sounds good. The neck is clean. There is a little craze mark on the upper bout from shop-wear.

It was nice enough that I went back to visit for a second time, but during the intervening 24 hours I spent some quality time with something here that fills the same niche that has a great personal story attached.  I don't need two, and the one that's here is staying.  

Hi Everyone,

I figure that I've managed to offend every single RS-4 owner here so let me just say, it was very nice guitar. So nice I nearly bought it as a gift for a good buddy's son who is exploring electric guitar. But I called him just before I did the deed, and it turns out that the young fellow had just gotten a name brand something.  Too bad.

Anyway - I checked with Queequeg, and it's okay to say,

Good guitar, sounds really good with unmarked (lollar?) pickups, really really good price, new, from reputable dealer,  comes with Larrivée warranty AND one year dealer warranty, pictures as above.

If anyone wants the details, please send me a Private Message.

I doubt you've offended anyone around here - it's just been pretty quiet in the Electric Forum as we all wait for Larrivee to crank back up introduction and production of electrics ... maybe when their new website is up, more information will result in more interest?

I would be surprised if those pickups were Lollars - I've check a couple Larrivees (and bought a set of Larrivee humbuckers directly from the company) and I've seen several sets with no labels or markings on them, yet they ARE Matthew Larrivee's pickups.

Larrivee stopped using Lollars pretty early on (around 2009/2010).

But it may be a moot point (for you) since you passed on purchasing it. But for anyone else thinking about it - they're probably Larrivee pickups...and that's a good thing, believe me! (I wouldn't mind getting one of the new Telecasters with the stop tail bridge and a couple of Larrivee humbuckers in it - that will be a very versatile guitar.)

:donut :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I have a set of Larrivee humbuckers that I purchased from Headsup a couple of years ago and which I believe must be generation I.  The bridge pup is signed by Matt and dated 1-21-09 and has an output of 8.00 kohms.  The neck is not signed and has an output of 7.59 kohms.

Currently, they are not installed in any guitar.  I had them in a semi-hollow-body Peavey JFX-1 for awhile, but I didn't play it much, so I put the original pups back in it and sold it.

I'm sure I'll use them in a future project guitar when the right one comes along.  :nana_guitar
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: Strings4Him on June 25, 2015, 08:07:06 PM
I have a similar RS-4 for sale or trade on AGF..

Not to steal...but how do you like the RS4?  (short version)
Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing

Quote from: DJ in FL on August 12, 2015, 07:00:38 PM
Not to steal...but how do you like the RS4?  (short version)

I am really not an electric guitar player--hence my reason for selling here and on AGF.  Better feedback from others who play electric can be found here and elsewhere on the internet.  I have often read that many say it is the BEST electric they have ever played. 

Quote from: Strings4Him on August 13, 2015, 05:50:43 AM
I have often read that many say it is the BEST electric they have ever played. 

That.  :thumb

Quote from: Strings4Him on August 13, 2015, 05:50:43 AM
  I have often read that many say it is the BEST electric they have ever played. 
:thumb  :thumb and I have played most all major brands heck I own most every major brand and model  :blush:

Just curious why you all think the RS-4 is the best electric?