Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oasis Humidifiers - Cancinogenic?  (Read 2608 times)
Amehl88

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2015, 07:20:45 PM »

I purchased an oasis humidifier recently. On the packaging there was a slip that warned that the gel that the humidifier uses was found to be potentially carcinogenic. Anybody else find this slip in the packaging of the tuner?
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 12:47:53 AM »

Wow. Dead silence . . .

'k - joking aside - this is really weird.

Maybe a prank?
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 11:37:38 AM »

Don't eat the gel.
Amehl88

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 02:28:56 PM »

Not a joke. The little notice said it was found to be carcinogenic in a California study. It also said make sure to handle only the yellow rubbery ends (where the humidity does not pass through).
This is what it said. For reference, the humidifier that I found this notice in is the OS-1. I've been careful not to leave it out in the open and put it in a closed case when I take it out of the guitar.
Scrambler17

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 02:45:25 PM »

California passed a ballot proposal back in 1986 requiring labeling for a number of chemicals that had been found to be carcinogenic.  I think the requirement is if the chemical is in the product at all, and not necessarily at carcinogenic levels.  Manufacturers today seem to put that on all their products, not just those sold in California, with some even going to the extent of putting that on all of their products period, whether it has the ingredient or not.  This has led to a certian degree of numbing consumers to the potential dangers they were trying to alert us to in the first place. 

Like ducktrapper said.  Don't eat it.  You'll be fine.  You'd probably be fine if you ate one anyway.  Don't eat 50 in a single sitting  bigrin

I'm not sure what ingredient is in the humidifier that is triggering the label, but I wouldn't think you needed to handle it like it was nuclear waste. 

L-03WL (A Hunt for Spruce) with K&K Pure Mini
RS2 with humbuckers
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 03:35:10 AM »

California passed a ballot proposal back in 1986 requiring labeling for a number of chemicals that had been found to be carcinogenic.  I think the requirement is if the chemical is in the product at all, and not necessarily at carcinogenic levels.  Manufacturers today seem to put that on all their products, not just those sold in California, with some even going to the extent of putting that on all of their products period, whether it has the ingredient or not.  This has led to a certian degree of numbing consumers to the potential dangers they were trying to alert us to in the first place.  

Like ducktrapper said.  Don't eat it.  You'll be fine.  You'd probably be fine if you ate one anyway.  Don't eat 50 in a single sitting  bigrin

I'm not sure what ingredient is in the humidifier that is triggering the label, but I wouldn't think you needed to handle it like it was nuclear waste.  
^ This is correct. Because manufacturers don't want to make separate labels for CA, they put that stupid warning on everything.  Even items which have no means of delivering the carcinogenic to you.  If you're concerned about carcinogens, cook your food on moderate heat and never use the microwave.  Otherwise, just keep on livin'.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
tlp2

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 05:15:37 PM »

I did not find a MSDS for "Humigel" but the gel is probably polyacrylamide,
a pretty common substance for that type of application.
Polyacrylamide gel, the finished product, is essentially harmless.
Acrylamide, what you polymerize to make the gel, ie the raw material, is toxic and carcinogenic, hence the labeling. 
Not 100% since I don't have the info but probably no worries. 
Wiki has a good write up on each substance if you're interested.

skyline

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 02:26:42 AM »

All these years I've been looking at those little woven bags thinking "Man, that looks like seriously inviting special ingredients" :  get me a cast iron pan, some butter, and a clove of garlic - let's fry this stuff up!

So now you guys are telling me that when they say "Don't Eat" they actually mean "Don't Eat"?
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 04:56:43 AM »

^ This is correct. Because manufacturers don't want to make separate labels for CA, they put that stupid warning on everything.  Even items which have no means of delivering the carcinogenic to you.  If you're concerned about carcinogens, cook your food on moderate heat and never use the microwave.  Otherwise, just keep on livin'.

We get products here in Canada with those California warnings on them all the time.  They are so ubiquitous, I think they mostly just get ignored, which defeats their purpose, really.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

tlp2

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 05:15:42 PM »

My favorite warning
often ignored of course
reads (loosely translated)

DANGER!

DO NOT INSERT
CHILDREN UPSIDE DOWN
INTO BUCKETS
OF WATER!!!!

L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 05:33:50 AM »

Another good one is little tiny plastic bags that warn you not to put over a child's head.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Scrambler17

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 11:41:03 AM »

I bought a new Reese hitch ball mount today and pin and both had the California cancer warning on them.  I'm not sure how you get cancer from a trailer hitch, but ok.   wacko

L-03WL (A Hunt for Spruce) with K&K Pure Mini
RS2 with humbuckers
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 06:11:34 PM »

Legaleeze stems from the time someone tried to dry their cat in a micro-wave oven... AND SUED THE COMPANY FOR NOT SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT THAT IN THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!

As in...    wacko

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: