a plug

Started by Denis, June 05, 2015, 05:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I hadn't had the FIV set up since I got it back in...2010?  Has it been 5 years already?  Anyway, two people told me over the last few months that this guy was the man when it comes to set up.  His name is Kevin McPhail and he works out of a local shop in Ottawa called Steve's Music and calls his business Ax Works.  Steve's Music started in Montreal decades ago.  There are three locations, Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto. 

Kevin and I have known each other for over 20 years, as I've been to Steve's a lot over years.  He didn't know "Denis" on the service ticket until I showed up to retrieve my guitar.  He said, "Oh, it's you!"  I knew he did set ups but never brought him a guitar until now.  I won't even question where to bring my instruments from now on.  It hasn't played this well since I got it!  Better even!  It was inexpensive and the turnaround time was not even a week. 

:nanadance :nanadance :nanadance :nanadance :nanadance :nanadance :nanadance :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar

Nothin better then finding someone to work on your gear who care's,even better you knew him.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I couldn't agree more.  I had a couple of bad experiences with so-called guitar techs.  This is what got me started doing my own setups.  So if you find someone that cares as much as you do, get 'em...
George

The Ottawa Folklore Centre closed last week.

In addition to being the store in town that was most focused on acoustic music, they were the only shop that consistently stocked Larrivées.

Here's hoping their luthier Brian Dubbledam has somewhere else to set up shop . . .

Quote from: skyline on July 26, 2015, 07:41:09 PM

In addition to being the store in town that was most focused on acoustic music, they were the only shop that consistently stocked Larrivées.

Here's hoping their luthier Brian Dubbledam has somewhere else to set up shop . . .

Sad day when the OFC closed its doors. 

I still remember going to the old store, on Bronson. 

I do hope Brian finds a place to hang his hat. 

So I bought this Seagull Mini Jumbo back in the spring and never got it set up.  I finally brought it to Kevin and I picked it up earlier today.  Tuned it to DADGAD and wow, did it feel great.  You never know how badly you need a set up until you have it done. 

unclrob how many set ups have you done?

Quote from: Denis on August 06, 2015, 06:28:32 PM

unclrob how many set ups have you done?

I did 2 today.So lets say 3 -4 a week over 49 years................................................ :wacko: ......so lets say a really big whole bunch,no only does my typing s*ck but my math is almost as bad. :roll
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on August 06, 2015, 09:56:54 PM
I did 2 today.So lets say 3 -4 a week over 49 years................................................ :wacko: ......so lets say a really big whole bunch,no only does my typing s*ck but my math is almost as bad. :roll

Conservatively, that computes to something around 7500, Rob.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: unclrob on August 06, 2015, 09:56:54 PM
I did 2 today.So lets say 3 -4 a week over 49 years......

Rob, you're breakin' my heart! If I only lived closer you'd have to do some more... FOR ME!!!
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on August 06, 2015, 10:01:01 PM
Conservatively, that computes to something around 7500, Rob.

:ohmy: WOOOWW!!!
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: skyline on July 26, 2015, 07:41:09 PM

Sad indeed. My first place to visit when in Ottawa. Not only Larrivées but I was able to play Lowdens and other rarely seen instruments. Steve's the best store now?

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 07, 2015, 10:10:29 AM
Sad indeed. My first place to visit when in Ottawa. Not only Larrivées but I was able to play Lowdens and other rarely seen instruments. Steve's the best store now?

Not for high quality acoustic selection.  They have a few Martins, a Gibson or two and 4-5 Taylors.  There's a shop out in Westboro called Lauzon.  It's been there for 50 years I think.  They have lots of Martins, Taylors, Gibsons and Collings.  They're also a Steinway dealer.  There's a 9' grand piano in the front window.  Other than that, there are now two Long & McQuade locations in Ottawa.  They're now the only Larrivee dealer in town. 

Quote from: Denis on August 07, 2015, 02:05:59 PMThere's a shop out in Westboro called Lauzon.  It's been there for 50 years I think.  They have lots of Martins, Taylors, Gibsons and Collings.

Lauzon's is pretty much the only serious acoustic guitar store in Ottawa. A bit intimidating at first, and they never very many used instruments, but they are friendly, reasonably knowledgeable, and they have the largest selection of mainstream high-end acoustics in town. Plus I've never heard anyone playing Smoke on the Water while I'm trying out instruments . . . some Bach and Beethoven, but no STH, or Walk Don't Run knockoffs.

It would be great if they picked up Larrivée too . . .

Quote from: skyline on August 07, 2015, 10:00:01 PM

It would be great if they picked up Larrivée too . . .

People need to walk in and loudly say, "What? No Larrivées? You call this a guitar store?" and walk back out. Denis, have you several disguises, just in case?  :laughin: 

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 08, 2015, 07:51:13 AM
People need to walk in and loudly say, "What? No Larrivées? You call this a guitar store?" and walk back out. Denis, have you several disguises, just in case?  :laughin: 

Unfortunately, they've seen me too many times and would recognize me right away.   They know me as the guy that comes in and plays the $7000 Collings guitar but buys only a set of strings! 

Quote from: Denis on August 10, 2015, 08:37:44 AM
Unfortunately, they've seen me too many times and would recognize me right away.   They know me as the guy that comes in and plays the $7000 Collings guitar but buys only a set of strings! 

Hey, at least you buy something. The owner of a store that went out of business in Thunder Bay a couple years back told me that young people don't buy anything anymore. They just try stuff and then go buy it on line. Tough for a brick and mortar store to compete. Probably part of went awry with the OFC.   

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 10, 2015, 11:34:07 AMTough for a brick and mortar store to compete. Probably part of went awry with the OFC.  

Part of it for sure.

But OFC probably also set themselves too wide a mission plan, then failed to adjust it appropriately as circumstances changed.

Beyond the more famous suppliers, there was a lot of serious "local" luthier's work hanging on the walls. Here's hoping they're not getting screwed over by the bizarre bankruptcy laws that are current here . . .