DPA d:vote mic

Started by George, April 19, 2015, 07:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can anyone relate any experience with a DPA d:vote 4099G guitar microphone for recording Larrivee guitars?  thanks, George
George

Quote from: georbro3 on April 19, 2015, 07:57:24 AM
Can anyone relate any experience with a DPA d:vote 4099G guitar microphone for recording Larrivee guitars?  thanks, George

It's a good mic for playing live in certain situations.  For recording, it is too noisy, you can't change placement, its mono and there are many other better solutions in the same price range.

Its main selling point is that it moves with the guitar.  What make/model microphones give you the best performance?  I read a lot about folks here recording with two mics and the the clips sound phenomenal.
George

Quote from: sdelsolray on April 20, 2015, 08:34:46 PMFor recording, it is too noisy

. . . is this from experience, or looking at spec sheets?

Quote from: sdelsolray on April 20, 2015, 08:34:46 PMyou can't change placement

They appear to use an adjustable system which is mounted on the guitar - so you can change placement in relation to the guitar, but you don't have to worry about standing exactly in front of a mic stand. How do you mean "you can't change placement"?

Quote from: sdelsolray on April 20, 2015, 08:34:46 PMits mono

. . . yes . . .  and?

Quote from: sdelsolray on April 20, 2015, 08:34:46 PMthere are many other better solutions in the same price range

Do you mean for recording or for live performance?

Quote from: skyline on April 24, 2015, 10:08:52 PM
. . . is this from experience, or looking at spec sheets?

From personal experience, which confirms the spec sheet.  It's a noisy mic.

They appear to use an adjustable system which is mounted on the guitar - so you can change placement in relation to the guitar, but you don't have to worry about standing exactly in front of a mic stand. How do you mean "you can't change placement"?

My original post stated I was speaking only about recording with the DPA mic.  Since the mic attaches to the guitar, I cannot use it in places that I would normally use if I were recording the guitar in a studio (e.g., 24" out in front, slightly to the side and pointing at the 12th fret).  I suppose I could temporarily attach it to a mic stand in some way to allow for normal recording mic placements, but that wouldn't have a shock mount and seems kinda cheesy.

. . . yes . . .  and?

There are other mics, again for recording, that will do a better job for the same $$, more or less.

Do you mean for recording or for live performance?

Recording only, as stated in my original post.  The OP's post was asking about recording, not live performance.