Sold my 'lectric Larrivees (Forgive me ... for I have sinned...)

Started by Mikeymac, May 12, 2015, 01:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Let me start by saying my RS-4 was the nicest electric guitar I've ever owned, hands down, period.

But I'm playing more acoustic these days than electric, and don't even ask me how many (other) electric guitars I have... my RS-4 and RS-2 just weren't getting played much. Another lefty player offered to buy them both from me for a reasonable price, so they went to live with him this week. The good thing about that is they have now been reunited with my Bakersfield, which he bought from me about 18 months ago!

So they're in a good home. And the money went to fund another acoustic, albeit non-Larrivee.

Don't worry - I still have the three Larrivee acoustics listed below, and will have at least one or two more in the future.

I'll still lurk around here and answer questions about Larrivee electrics - since I've owned three of the recent models, I have some experience and opinions to offer.

So I'll see y'all around, I ain't goin' nowhere! 

:coffee :donut
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

How would you like a Gretsch g6196 hollow-body in Cadillac green ?

Quote from: tuffythepug on May 12, 2015, 02:27:21 PM
How would you like a Gretsch g6196 hollow-body in Cadillac green ?

Oh, I'd LOVE it! But I have to exercise some restraint right now...  :crying:

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 12, 2015, 03:54:27 PM
Oh, I'd LOVE it! But I have to exercise some restraint right now...  :crying:

:roll :roll :roll                                   :wave
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I predict you will regret those sales!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on May 12, 2015, 07:44:45 PM
I predict you will regret those sales!

Add that to my list of *gear regrets*...  :blush:

I am stunned :crying:

All Larrivee electrics now gone???  :ohmy:

I'm searching for the deeper meaning here, for there must be something. You've been a champion of the RS 2 and RS 4 since day one - why sell them and not others in your stable?   :?

Perhaps you have inside information about a new Larrivee semi hollow body and you're raising funds?!?  :nana_guitar

(After you sold your Bakersfield, didn't you say you wished you had it back? There could be a humongous case of seller's remorse looming in the distance  :ohmy:)

Rob

Larrivee D-05
Larrivee RS-4 Custom (Arctic White)

Might not be such a sin, depending on what great non-Larrivee acoustic you are funding?  What acoustic could possibly be worth sacrificing your 'lectrics to help fund?  A Wren, a Manzer? (no way I could ever afford one of those without selling them all)

I thought you wanted a Baker T with humbuckers...   Hmmm   :?
George

I would never part with my RS-4. I think they should bury me with it.  You know, after I kick the bucket, that is.  :laughin:  

My RS-4 is a lifer for me as well.  And I don't actually play it that much, either.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: georbro3 on May 18, 2015, 07:17:37 PM

Might not be such a sin, depending on what great non-Larrivee acoustic you are funding?

I'm funding a lefty Martin D-35, which I ordered last week.

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 18, 2015, 11:30:35 PM

I would never part with my RS-4. I think they should bury me with it.  You know, after I kick the bucket, that is.  :laughin: 

Tom, you always manage to put a smile on my face! Yes, let's hope you stick around for a loooooong time!

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on May 19, 2015, 01:34:37 AM

My RS-4 is a lifer for me as well.  And I don't actually play it that much, either.

This was an issue for me - I wasn't playing the RS-4 very much, and I really wasn't playing the RS-2 at all...it probably had under 10-20 hours of play time on it after owning it for about 4 years.  I've been playing humbucker (and P-90) guitars with a Gibson scale length much more, although the RS-4 certainly excelled at everything!

At this point in my "economic" life, the only way I could really fund a new major purpose was to sell some things, so I bit the bullet and took an offer when it was made (I wasn't actively trying to sell my Larrivee electrics). I have several more things for sale, maybe even including one of my current Larrivee acoustics. HOWEVER, I still want to (someday) own a custom L-05 or L-09... probably an L-05, since the D-35 will scratch the rosewood itch...and Larrivee just makes such wonderful mahogany guitars...the Larrivees I end up keeping are always mahogany models. Hmmm...

I know I'll regret selling these guitars someday, that's the nature of the GAS beast. But I'm also realizing the need to downsize my gear stash some at this point in my life (I'm 57) to make room for other expenses (like going to Japan to visit my daughter next year after she has our first grandchild!).

But, Lord willing, there will be a couple more Larrivees in my stash. Maybe even that 'bucker Bakersfield model...

Good luck with the downsizing.  For me anyway, it always seems to be a temporary state...  I parted with an RS4 with humbuckers in Rootbeer burst last year because I seldom played it (some lucky guy in CA got a great playing mint guitar).  I love my RS2 and RS4 with P90's better than any other electric I own, so they are not going anywhere.  I have a couple of Larrivee acoustics for sale, but they are priced so high no one is biting hard, just getting low ball offers.  Somehow the collection continues to grow.  Now I am wondering where I am going to put the L I have on order when it comes in...  I really need to sell some more too...

Oh, and Congratulations on your new Acquisition!  I hope it lives up to your expectations.   :thumb
George

Quote from: georbro3 on May 20, 2015, 02:44:49 PM

Oh, and Congratulations on your new Acquisition!  I hope it lives up to your expectations.   :thumb

Thanks, I'll let you know when it gets here in about 4 months (in the Other Guitars section).

The way I look at it, although Pete Seeger used his daily or hourly, the hammer I have may not have been used in a while but I'm still not selling it. It still might come in handy. :smile: