The O Project

Started by Danny, May 02, 2015, 03:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Been doing a lot of work on the old OOO Harmony, but I repaired the last crack on the top of the O. It's an interesting repair, in that you could not reach the crack with your hand. So I fed a guitar string through the top, attached a maple patch, lexan plastic caul and a string nut. Then made a string/block winder to clamp the maple in place, with hot hide glue.
[/URL[URL=http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/dpndn/media/20151020_115410_zpsdzpiu9cp.jpg.html]

I'm not sure if this is clear, but the tuner is mounted to some spruce, the string is fed down through the crack in the top and attached to the maple patch, the lexan plastic caul wrapped in wax paper and the string nut is at the end. Hot hide glue is applied and the other end of the string is drawn thru and attached to the tuner+ block and drawn tight.
     This worked just right. I cut the string after the glue dried and the wax paper covered caul came loose. The top is repaired.

Lovely!! Thanks for sharing this technique.  :donut :donut :donut :coffee
Circa 2000 O-01
And a bunch of Tacomas

You are impressive, Danny.

The bridge was coming up on the edges, so I'm taking the opportunity to put on a pyramid bridge. Also adding several layers of finish on the top.

Love the look of a pyramid bridge!

Quote from: Strings4Him on November 02, 2015, 06:48:04 PM
Love the look of a pyramid bridge!
The bridge is just sitting there in that picture. Glued it up today.

Looks perfect! Nice job, sir!

:nice guitar:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on November 06, 2015, 08:14:52 PM
Looks perfect! Nice job, sir!

:nice guitar:
Thanks Mike, it has become a bit special to me. And congratulations on the grandchild and upcoming new Larrivee.

Glossed the sides today and it's looking really good.

Gloss is so reflective the picture looks a bit abstract on the second one. The back is gloss as well, but a different type of finish that doesn't have a deep shine to it.

That gloss looks outstanding.  What kind of finish did you use on the sides?  Did you wet sand then buff with compound or?
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I used 320 grit, then micromesh and Mirlon 1500 & 2500. Also a pad of 0000 steel wool after the 320.
   Cleaned it all up with denatured alcohol and used Waterlox Original Finish.
    That finish has given me some nice results.

I wouldn't take a grand for it.

Nice job Danny. Hope you enjoy it for long time.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on November 12, 2015, 12:14:08 AM
Nice job Danny. Hope you enjoy it for long time.
Thank you, I plan on playing this one a lot, so easy to play on the couch and take on a trip.

Great job! Enjoy your new guitar!
Larrivée L-03/Anthem SL (2013)
Gibson LP Studio VS (2013)
Marshall JTM-1C: 50th Anniversary Edition
Koch Jupiter 45-C

Mission accomplished.  No more tinkering, just play and enjoy.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: Bas on November 17, 2015, 08:59:55 AM
Great job! Enjoy your new guitar!
Thanks, I  do enjoy it.

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on November 18, 2015, 12:40:37 AM
Mission accomplished.  No more tinkering, just play and enjoy.
Yup it's come a long way and I am playing and enjoying it. This Lil guitar has changed my view on Larrivee parlors. Maybe it's because of sixteen years of play and or a lot of sanding with new thin finish or the pyramid bridge etc.    But it can handle some fairly aggressive strumming, which is a huge surprise to me.  The only string that seems to ring out of harmony is the high E. I think if it is ramped on the saddle it will not "stand out"  on its own so much.  Or try a larger diameter string on the high E.

For now I will just play it, but when the old 000 project is done and it gets played in,  then deeper shine on the head stock, ramping the bridge, new tuners, and another layer of finish on the top and sides. The back will just be polished out as it is an acrylic gloss finish.

Or maybe change the paddle head to a valuted slot :whistling:

While waiting on the old Harmony 000 grain filler to cure on the headstock, I'm putting several layers of finish on the O-01MH. I'm up to three now, ten would be real nice but I'll settle for five.