Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DTAR Wavelength Multisource UST/Mic blend  (Read 983 times)
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2015, 11:44:10 PM »

Hi, I have installed several DTAR Wavelength Multisource 18 volt units in my Larrivee Dreads with great results.  They have twice as much output amplitude as the Baggs full Anthem does (I have two of these in my custom 60 models) and to my ear they sound much cleaner and fuller.  I first acquired these units in a couple of USA made Guild acoustics and was so impressed that I started buying and installing them.  Anyone else conducted this upgrade?

George
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 03:31:45 PM »

I had a Wavelength on a Collings D1A for a while.  Sounded pretty good and had lots of headroom.  I found they were very susceptible to string gauge changes. Went to mediums and the sound went to crap and the headroom went bye bye.  Use K&K now.

If you like them, power to you but be aware of the issue of changing tension on the saddle affecting tone.

Cheers,
David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 07:44:41 PM »

Thanks David this is interesting input. I have not experienced this issue on any of mine, and I have changed the string gauge from medium to custom light on them all.  I have experienced some string balance issues with every brand of UST that I have tried, but usually a light tap on the bridge will correct it.  How did you determine it was the tension change on the saddle?  Has anyone heard of this phenomenon in multiple applications?

George
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 06:10:09 PM »

Thanks David this is interesting input. I have not experienced this issue on any of mine, and I have changed the string gauge from medium to custom light on them all.  I have experienced some string balance issues with every brand of UST that I have tried, but usually a light tap on the bridge will correct it.  How did you determine it was the tension change on the saddle?  Has anyone heard of this phenomenon in multiple applications?

I'm pretty sure the 'issue' only occurs when you go heavier gauge. The DTAR doesn't like more pressure on the saddle,  I think.

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: