Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Reso Biscuit pickup  (Read 2395 times)
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2015, 07:30:50 PM »

Greetings! I just purchased my first resonator, a Whipple Creek copy of a '35 National Trojan. Awesome guitar.

I need to amplify it. I'm interested in the following pickups and would love to hear comments from those who have used them or have heard them in person. Recordings would be most welcome!

K&K Biscuit pickup
Schatten NR-2
Highlander Biscuit pickup
Fishman Nashville for biscuit

Thanks!

David Berchtold
www.davidberchtold.com

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 07:52:06 PM »

A few years back I installed a couple of Fishman pu's.They mounted to the screw on the underside of the resonator,I haven't tried the others.My clients seemed happy and when run thru a pre-amp I thought they sounded pretty good.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 09:06:19 PM »

Thanks, Rob!  Did they quack?  Fishman just scares me.  Problaby be oK through my K&K Pre. has lots of head room.

www.davidberchtold.com
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 01:50:46 AM »

Don't remember any quacking.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 02:47:36 PM »

Congrats on the reso! I wish I would have jumped on that wagon long ago. Love them.
I have a highlander iP-!X inline in my steel biscuit NRP and it sounds great! Balanced, sensitive.
Completely natural?..well I don't know of any pick up that is. I'm not very good at describing tones maybe but
it makes it sound powerful.   Its good and sensitive and picks up any subtle thing you do. Or bash and it responds. The slide sounds great on it as well.
It has a preamp and a special cord, just stereo, that comes with it and a little box that hold battery. Sounds wonderful to me and it when I asked about pickups for this NRP it was the
overwhelming choice, If I get a chance I'll record it, but that will be a few days.
  I had a Shatton on my cheaper Republic and wasn't impressed, of course it wasn't on a National either.
I have a Fishman Nashville but it's for a Spider Bridge. It sounds great as well but a different animal than Biscuit.
Have fun and it looks like a great guitar. I hadn't heard of Whipple Creek so I looked them up. Looks like a nice handmade deal there and I found a story and pics of him making, I guess the first reso of your kind.   (only? The only reso I saw) And story is he took and old National in for repair and did detail spec check on it and replicated. Used a thicker truss rod though which is good. Anyway, cool and have fun!

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 01:06:45 AM »

Thanks, flatlander! Yes, that's the one I have Whipple Reso #001!  Digging it more every day. 

Been investigating that ToneCone at Elderly. Talked with the tech/designer yesterday. Sounds like that's the way to go for me because it should work through my K&K preamp.

I'll keep you posted.
David

www.davidberchtold.com
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 10:52:22 AM »

The Highlander really does sound great to me. Hopefully you can test drive some. I should be able to record mine this weekend, acoustically, then with pick-up. So let me know if you're still shopping or settled in on the tone-cone..

dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 05:37:33 PM »

The Highlander really does sound great to me. Hopefully you can test drive some. I should be able to record mine this weekend, acoustically, then with pick-up. So let me know if you're still shopping or settled in on the tone-cone..
Hey Flatlander! You get a chance to record that NRP ?

Here's a quick and dirty recording of mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG7tX71RVYg
Just used my iPhone.

Cheers!
David

www.davidberchtold.com
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 03:15:45 AM »

Cool! Sounds great. Sorry very hectic week at work. If you haven't gotten a pickup yet, I'll see if I can record sat or sun. Now the steel is a different tone for sure, but it should give good idea of quality of pick up. Nice guitar you got there. I really like it!

dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 06:13:16 PM »

I ended up getting a ConeTone from Elderly. Excellent!

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/CTONE1.htm

www.davidberchtold.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: