Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok! Larrivee question  (Read 1816 times)
Brex2193

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2015, 09:30:12 PM »

I took my new guitar to a luthier a week or so ago and now I have a buzz in the first three frett area.... I have a taylor that I have adjusted the truss rod on and did fine but this new Larrivee has a the truss rod in a different place and harder to get to unless you take the strings off (for me, harder ) ... is it still righty tighty, lefty loosey or do you go the opposite way?  blush

Lynn
Bas

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 10:02:17 PM »

Exactly the same, yes, and the truss rod can be modified without removing the strings too. Although, why don't you take it back to the luthier who has done the setup? I'm assuming he offers some kind of 'warranty' on his work? Just curious: has the guitar been in a humidity-stable environment for a couple of weeks before having the setup done?

Larrivée L-03/Anthem SL (2013)
Taylor GS "Bottleneck" Mini-e RW (2014)
Gibson LP Studio VS (2013)
Marshall JTM-1C: 50th Anniversary Edition ⊷ Little Green Wonder, Sweet Honey Overdrive & Silver Spring Reverb
Brex2193

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 10:09:51 PM »

Although, why don't you take it back to the luthier who has done the setup? I'm assuming he offers some kind of 'warranty' on his work? Just curious: have you had the guitar in a humidity-stable environment for a couple of weeks before having the setup done?

I would but he is 120 miles away ....  blush

Yes! I have it in a really nicely humidified room in a case also along with my other guitar .. I think that the reason its out is cuss of the fact that it's properly humidified now and was not when I went to have it done ... he is a really great guy and didn't charge me to do the work this time ... both guitars are much happier now with a sears humidifier next to them  bigrin

Lynn
Brex2193

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 10:15:21 PM »

Also during this time I was experimenting with many different types of strings and they also had an effect on the buzzing I think... don't know for sure but sounds good to me ... some of the strings were a bit strong like 59 mm low end string... she is a baby and I'm treating her like she is an adult 

Lynn
Bas

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 10:37:54 PM »

120 miles is quite much, indeed. A decent humidifier is among the best things you can do to a guitar!

I'm in no means an expert but it doesn't sound logical to me. As far as I know, the action will rise when a guitar becomes more humidified, which should mean exactly the opposite (increased action). Thinner strings with lower tension sound like a more logical explaination to me, especially if the guitar has been setup for low action. You could try putting the same gauge of strings on the guitar as it had before the setup. If the buzzing disappears you'll be sure about the cause and be able act accordingly. Though I think, according to the way you describe it, modifying the truss rod would be the solution.

Marshall JTM-1C: 50th Anniversary Edition ⊷ Little Green Wonder, Sweet Honey Overdrive & Silver Spring Reverb
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 10:45:48 PM »

I didn't see if the question was answered but here's what I do, de-tune the two middle strings, turn the wrench left to add bow or right to go flatter (you want to go left for your problem).  Do 1/8 to 1/4 turn.  Re-tention the strings and give it 20 min to settle before adjusting again.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Brex2193

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 10:54:40 PM »

I didn't see if the question was answered but here's what I do, de-tune the two middle strings, turn the wrench left to add bow or right to go flatter (you want to go left for your problem).  Do 1/8 to 1/4 turn.  Retention the strings and give it 20 min to settle before adjusting again.

Thanks Mr BOWIE, 

That's exactly the answer that I was looking for I'm going to copy that down so that I remember it for later down the road when I have a brain fart and forget and then ask again and you all have tell me again ..  rolleye

Lynn
Bas

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 10:58:31 PM »

I didn't see if the question was answered but here's what I do, de-tune the two middle strings, turn the wrench left to add bow or right to go flatter (you want to go left for your problem). Do 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Retention the strings and give it 20 min to settle before adjusting again.

That's the short and efficient version of the answer

Brex2193

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 11:09:53 PM »

Sorry for posting in the wrong area I'm new here and I've never checked out this area before .... So thanks for moving this to here so that I can see other things to read....

Lynn
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 11:45:55 PM »

Make sure its not a dual action truss rod,if it is the best way to turn it is righty based on approaching from the butt of the guitar not the neck side.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 04:53:02 AM »

Make sure its not a dual action truss rod,if it is the best way to turn it is righty based on approaching from the butt of the guitar not the neck side.

It's a Larrivee... do they have dual action truss rods?

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 02:52:33 PM »

I don't know when they changed to them but I've had a few come thru the shop.

By the way it is the stupidist device ever made for a guitar.Since no one tells the buying public those that try to adjust there own necks freak out because it doesn't work the way there use too.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 03:04:23 PM »

If it was set up with heavier gauge strings and you put lighter gauge strings on you need to loosen the truss rod to remove the back how of th neck. A 1/4 turn to the left is usually sufficient for going from medium to light gauge.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: