Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Canadian bands and songs of all time?  (Read 7146 times)
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 12:39:41 AM »

I mentioned ol' Gord right off ... in the other thread.  

skyline

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 02:51:06 AM »

Cockburn?
He even played a Larrivée for a while . . .

abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 03:16:54 AM »

Good one ....and Joni Mitchell . Free Man in Paris . 

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 08:16:02 AM »

Good one ....and Joni Mitchell . Free Man in Paris . 

Joni wrote some great songs and has her own jazz-influenced style that is very unique.  Funny, a few nights ago the wife and I watched "The Last Waltz" on TV and remarked on how Joni looked so young and like such a "hippie girl", for lack of a better term.  Then just tonight, there was a news item about her and how poor her health is right now.  I didn't catch the whole story or what the health issue is, but what struck me is her appearance now.  No harm or meanness intended, but she looked like some would say, a "bag lady", again for lack of a better term.

I understand she chain-smoked for most of her life.  It would be unfortunate if that was the cause of her health issues now.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2015, 12:53:26 PM »

Joni wrote some great songs and has her own jazz-influenced style that is very unique.  Funny, a few nights ago the wife and I watched "The Last Waltz" on TV and remarked on how Joni looked so young and like such a "hippie girl", for lack of a better term.  Then just tonight, there was a news item about her and how poor her health is right now.  I didn't catch the whole story or what the health issue is, but what struck me is her appearance now.  No harm or meanness intended, but she looked like some would say, a "bag lady", again for lack of a better term.

I understand she chain-smoked for most of her life.  It would be unfortunate if that was the cause of her health issues now.

Mitchell is one of my all time favourites and unlike many guys, I listen to and buy CDs of a lot of women artists. She is also a brilliant painter. Her smoking can't be a good for her but she has some chronic illness called Morgellons. A disease some doctors apparently don't think actually exists. I think she looks pretty good for a 71 year old. 

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/04/01/what-is-morgellons-singer-joni-mitchell-battles-mystery-illness/?_r=0
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2015, 01:05:42 PM »

Mitchell is one of my all time favourites and unlike many guys, I listen to and buy CDs of a lot of women artists. She is also a brilliant painter. Her smoking can't be a good for her but she has some chronic illness called Morgellons. A disease some doctors apparently don't think actually exists. I think she looks pretty good for a 71 year old. 

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/04/01/what-is-morgellons-singer-joni-mitchell-battles-mystery-illness/?_r=0
Mine, as well.
She hasn't sung for years now. She chalks it up to decades of smoking. But she still paints. She is very much a recluse now, from what I have read. Lots of stalkers, evidently.
I have had one of her CD collections on heavy rotation in the car for the past few weeks.
River. Coyote. Free Man in Paris. I never tire of these. And the entire Blue album.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 01:34:59 PM »

Mine, as well.
She hasn't sung for years now. She chalks it up to decades of smoking. But she still paints. She is very much a recluse now, from what I have read. Lots of stalkers, evidently.
I have had one of her CD collections on heavy rotation in the car for the past few weeks.
River. Coyote. Free Man in Paris. I never tire of these. And the entire Blue album.

Yep. So many great songs. The trio of albums ... Blue, For the Roses and Court and Spark are incredibly good. I also like her more experimental stuff like Don Juan's Reckless Daughter and Mingus. I hope she gets better soon. 
ZachStevenson

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 03:35:22 PM »

For my money it's pretty damn hard to beat Blue Rodeo, Five Days in July is a masterpiece.

The Band are awesome too, so many great songs, It Makes No Difference is brilliant.

Cheers!

Zach
--
OM-03
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 06:08:55 PM »

Is the a difference between band, and singer.  I mean, can Lightfoot and
Joni be considered as being great bands?
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 07:34:15 PM »

Well they're not, at least since their first albums, playing solo but they generally play with a band.   
abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2015, 07:59:01 PM »

Bachman Turner Overdrive is that a band ?

Best song: Takin care of business.

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2015, 08:55:04 PM »

I was wondering the same...  but when GL put out his first album (as opposed to having his songs covered by other groups) it was in a band format.  I remember when growing up, I knew there was a guy named Gordon Lightfoot, but it was a band called Gordon Lightfoot putting out those albums and tours.  Kind of like Elton John, Johnny Cash, or many others.  They weren't like Chuck Berry, who got pickup players wherever he went, there was a real band.

Ed
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2015, 01:10:26 AM »

Is the a difference between band, and singer.  I mean, can Lightfoot and Joni be considered as being great bands?

Joni's bands have been pretty astounding - for example the band on stage for Shadows and Light - made up of people she worked with a lot - Lyle Mays, Michael Brecker, Don Alias, Jaco Pastorius, Pat Metheny . . .
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2015, 07:14:53 PM »

Interesting article.  Thanks for that.  As for her appearance, I was referring to how she looked in the particular news item on TV, and not her appearance in general.  Gaunt face, stringy hair, and the clothes she was wearing.  A poor choice of words on my part.

L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2015, 07:26:10 PM »

Hi all,
Even though I named the topic "Best Canadian bands and songs of all time?", it was meant to include any Canadian act, performer, band and/or their songs.  I said this in the original post.

Reading the burgeoning list of performers makes one realize just how many good musicians and songwriters Canada has produced.  Anyways, thanks for the participation and keep em coming.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2015, 08:08:25 PM »

ME!!!! 
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »

ME!!!! 

That's a given, Tom.

L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2015, 08:33:11 PM »

Has Paul Anka been mentioned?  At 16 He was the teenage heart-throb of the day; on both sides of the border.  Probably more renowned for his songwriting nowadays.  He wrote some of the biggest hits for some of the biggest performers, including Sinatra.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2015, 01:20:49 PM »

Has Paul Anka been mentioned?  At 16 He was the teenage heart-throb of the day; on both sides of the border.  Probably more renowned for his songwriting nowadays.  He wrote some of the biggest hits for some of the biggest performers, including Sinatra.

Third post as a tragically "unhip" Canadian. 
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2015, 01:45:44 AM »

Has Paul Anka been mentioned?  He wrote some of the biggest hits for some of the biggest performers, including Sinatra.

My Way's lyrics were his, but the tune was from the French song Comme d'habitude. which he bought the rights for.

There's a street named after him in Ottawa - "Paul Anka Drive" - I always thought it should have been "Paul Anka Way"
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: