Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Canadian bands and songs of all time?  (Read 7399 times)
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2015, 05:49:18 AM »

Didn't want to hijack Ducktrapper's Tragically Hip thread, so which are the best Canadian bands, acts, performers, and songs of all time?  Here is a link to start it off;  Someones list of the top 10 bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KywDPeth-7M

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 12:08:25 PM »

Intentionally left Max Webster off my list over on Ducks thread as like to keep them for myself!! 

Heck luv anything with Kenny Shields singing. And anybody looking to stretch their electric skills give Jeff Healey a go

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 01:29:53 PM »

Terry Watkinson, Max Webster's keyboardist's, father was the son of my high school principle. A Million Vacations is a fine album. MW's guitarist/vocalist/leader Kim Mitchell has done some very good solo work.
Others that come to mind, left out of the other thread, that bear mentioning ... Lenny Breau, Stompin' Tom Connnors, Ian Tyson, Tom Cochrane/Red Rider, Craig Northey/The Odds, Sloan, Corb Lund, Blue Rodeo's Jim Cuddy, The Paupers, Kensington Market, The Lovin Spoonful's Zal Yanovsky, and the less tragically hip ... Paul Anka, Anne Murray, Robert Goulet, Tommy Hunter, Hank Snow.    

Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 03:38:08 PM »

Silliest list I ever saw.....Tragically Hip, Helix, Webster and yet, NO CANADIAN SQUIRES...... Pure poppycock.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 06:22:40 PM »

Helix? Seriously? I always forget about Steppenwolf. Neil Young is Canadian but The Horse is not. Who the heck are the Canadian Squires? 
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 06:08:09 AM »

Silliest list I ever saw.....Tragically Hip, Helix, Webster and yet, NO CANADIAN SQUIRES...... Pure poppycock.

Poppycock just reminded me.  The Poppy Family was a great Canadian group.  Terry Jacks and Susan Jacks.  I saw them live in Saskatoon in 1972ish. Susan was stunning in a low-cut white dress and her breasts heaving with every breath as she sang.  Terry wrote many hits.  "Seasons in the Sun".  "Which Way You Going Billy".  "You Don't Know What Love is".  

L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 06:26:48 AM »

+1 For Ian Tyson.  Ian and Sylvia and the Great Speckled Bird were another great Canadian group.  Had their own TV show and many hit songs.  Ian wrote the classic song "Four Strong Winds".  Neil Young covered it on one of his albums.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 01:13:15 PM »

+1 For Ian Tyson.  Ian and Sylvia and the Great Speckled Bird were another great Canadian group.  Had their own TV show and many hit songs.  Ian wrote the classic song "Four Strong Winds".  Neil Young covered it on one of his albums.

Tyson went on to become a real Alberta cowboy and his subsequent albums, imo, are far superior to the early folk stuff. Great singer, songwriter and yodeler. Unfortunatley, he has had some health problems in recent years that have greatly affected his once terrific voice. Everyone should check out Corb Lund, The Hurtin' Albertan, for the new generation of great Canadian cowboy singers.   
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »

Helix? Seriously? I always forget about Steppenwolf. Neil Young is Canadian but The Horse is not. Who the heck are the Canadian Squires? 

Really? You need a SoCal surfer to tell you about the Canadian Squires?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w1SJZGhg2QI

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 07:01:23 PM »

Really? You need a SoCal surfer to tell you about the Canadian Squires?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w1SJZGhg2QI

Oh. The Band. I was thinking you may have meant Neil Young's group from Winnipeg. Mea culpa but I don't think they were the CS's for long enough for me to think of them that way. The Hawks would have rang a bell, however.   
abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 12:41:20 AM »

Stampeders , Chilliwack, BTO, The Guess Who, The Sheepdogs, Doug and the Slugs, Kim Mitchell. Goddo, Carol Pope...etc

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 12:46:27 AM »

April Wine, Honeymoon Suite, check CBC radio for the new crop of CDN artists..and don't forget Leonard Cohen and Lenny Brough. I will let you guys have some fun before I start naming songs,

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 09:13:44 AM »

And don't forget The Lovin Spoonful and the Mamas and Papas for at least some Canadian content.

old folky

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 08:29:14 PM »

Gordon Lightfoot, Stan and Garnet Rogers

'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 08:49:48 PM »

When we lived in Detroit, we got a show from up north...it was a country western variety show.  I want to say the hosts name was tommy Hunter....good show and lots of good artists.
CycleBob

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 09:23:41 PM »

All these great band, BUT you still sent the world Justin Bieber..

Larrivee D03E
Larrivee OM-03MT
Martin D15M
Seagull S12 Plus
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 09:44:39 PM »

Gordon Lightfoot,

Whew...  I was looking through the thread and wondered when Lightfoot would be mentioned.

Ed
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 10:27:31 PM »

Whew...  I was looking through the thread and wondered when Lightfoot would be mentioned.

Ed

I mentioned ol' Gord right off ... in the other thread.  

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 10:30:05 PM »

When we lived in Detroit, we got a show from up north...it was a country western variety show.  I want to say the hosts name was tommy Hunter....good show and lots of good artists.

The Tommy Hunter Show was a long time fixture on Canadian Television. Look up and you'll see I mentioned him earlier. 
Swampdigger

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 12:23:45 AM »

Being from the east coast...We have Hank Snow, Minglewood Band. Great big sea ,The wonderful grand Band. Dutchy Mason. Certainly all great in the eyes of us here in the swamp.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: