Willie Watson talks about his OM-1

Started by Scrambler17, March 17, 2015, 12:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm a big Old Crow Medicine Show fan, and a fan of Willie Watson and his solo work now that's he's split from the band.  I saw this clip of him on the Gear Show.  He plays a song then talks a bit about his OM-1.  Willie Watson 

Thought I'd share   :donut :donut2 :donut2 :donut
L-03WL (A Hunt for Spruce) with K&K Pure Mini
RS2 with humbuckers

Thankyou...enjoyed that.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Great sounding guitar, that OM.  It demonstrates how good Larrivee guitars sound and play, right down to the so-called "entry level" models (for lack of a better term).

Gotta love just a guy and his guitar and harp playing a heart-felt tune.  I like what he had to say about pickups and mics.  Keeping it simple (old school, if you like) is the way to go IMHO.

Thanks for the link.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Great stuff. I'm still amazed how close to the bridge he picks, which must make the guitar sound "tinnier" than it would if played over the soundhole.
Larrivée Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor (2003)
plus various other acoustic guitars and one ukulele

His technique and sound is very "old timey", Picking so close to the bridge.  It gets the twang.  I've heard people's opinions that his guitar sounds thin or doesn't sound good, I think that was in reference to him playing guitar for the David Rawlings Machine.  I think his style sounds great.  Especially on his new album, American Folk Singer, Vol. 1.  But you're right.  It is a bit tinny, probably more-so on an OM
L-03WL (A Hunt for Spruce) with K&K Pure Mini
RS2 with humbuckers

Having commented lately that it was the Larrivée I played the least, I've been  playing my OM-01 a lot recently. I put extra light gauge strings on it and am enjoying it quite a bit. Nice little guitar. I mostly play over the soundhole, though. Playing right at the bridge like that is alright for certain effects but doing it constantly mostly sounds like crap and fails to do any guitar justice, imo. Of course, ymmv.

:bowdown:     There is something very special about Larrivee OM1 guitars. No bling...just great sound.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K