Your dream Larrivee custom guitar. What would it be?

Started by L07 Shooting Star, March 17, 2015, 12:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L body style.
Honduran mahogany back and sides.
Sitka top.
1 11/16" nut.
Plastic bindings.
Clear pick guard.
Gloss top.
Side sound port.
Canadian case.

(I want my 2001 L-04 back.)
Former owner of three wonderful Larrivee guitars.
Making rudimentary guitar noises since 1977.

@Walkerman. Beautiful inlay work!
"Guitars are meant to be played not dis-played."

Well I already have a few of my dream Larrivee acoustics, as well as a couple RS4 monterys, and an eighties fancy maple RS4,

HOWEVER, since you asked.

I'd love semi acoustic arch top electric, similar to the Gibson ES339,
except with 25.5 scale,
ML Gen 3 Humbuckers.
Tone pros, and all the good stuff in the Montereys,
ebony finger board with RS4 inlays, on flame maple neck
flame maple back & sides, spruce top if available,
solid bock through the body,
antique violin burst,
and of course the proud name "Larrivee" on the headstock.
Schaller tuners
did I miss anything? oh ya, maple or kA bindings.

just whip that up in the shop boys, and send me the invoice.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

How about a Gibson L7 with a neck mounted pu. :whistling:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: headsup on March 22, 2015, 06:44:51 PM

Hey!! Get in Line!!!!  :winkin:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

In regards to these archtop models from Larrivee that keep getting mentioned:  Would that be a laminate body or all wood?  Being a Larrivee I would imagine all wood.   If all wood then it would be hand carved no doubt.  Wouldn't that require a learning curve of a few years to master?  A few to say the least.  Larrivee would have to spend countless hours in the R&D department or bring in an expert in the archtop world to make it for them (using Larrivee specs of course).  I guess what I am getting at is this.  Is this an endeavor that Larrivee would want to undertake?  If they would do it I have no doubt it would be done right.  And there is the rub.  To be done right would mean (in my limited, feeble mind) taking a few years before the first ones would be available.  Am I way off base or is that a fair assessment?
Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Wessex BBb Helicon

I think that Mike is on to something here.
Building archtop guitars with carved tops more closely resembles violin making than flat top acoustic guitars.
Violins... and mandolins!
Larrivee has experience with carving mandolins and this is the knowledge and experience that a luthier would draw upon in building archtop guitars.

I believe the OP is about a dream guitar?

as in "dream" being operative. No point in throwing cold water on our face to wake us up.
Being good friends with Oskar Graf, one of the best guitar builders in North America, and who meticulously carves his tops and backs from 1 inch slabs of top grade Spruce and Maple for his arch tops, I am more than aware of the craftsmanship, time and work involved, as well as the near 20 K price tag.

I was merely responding to the OP.
I do notice however, Collings builds a guitar similar to my dream, and they sell for around 5 k. Laminate.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: Queequeg on March 23, 2015, 08:51:14 PM
Larrivee has experience with carving mandolins and this is the knowledge and experience that a luthier would draw upon in building archtop guitars.

Woops!  Completely missed the carved mandolins in my thinking process.  So there is some experience there.  Didn't mean to throw cold water on anything.  Everyone go back to sleep!    :bgrin:
Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Wessex BBb Helicon

Aren't Gibson arch tops laminate?
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on March 24, 2015, 09:41:04 AM
Aren't Gibson arch tops laminate?
99%
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

My own C-10 deluxe but with a 1 11/16" neck and Amberburst finish.The pearl inlays would really pop with that finish.
Ron
Happily married to the woman of my dreams and looking forward to growing old together.<br />Truly,God has smiled upon this simple man.

Quote from: Danny on March 17, 2015, 10:43:21 AM
  Six years ago today we were in Vancouver to pick up our Forum III's. When I first played mine I was very pleased and still am every time I play it. Yesterday I was playing a few songs on a Jumbo maple 12 string that I put new strings on etc. for a friend. Then I played the same song(s) on my Larrivee dread and the OO-40R. My wife was making comments as I played on each guitar.
     Then I got the Forum III which is South American Mahogany and has an Italian spruce top. I only had played a little bit and my wife smiled and commented on the F-III having the best sound.

So after going on a fourteen Larrivee quest with Martins, Taylors and others thrown in, I have to say I have the "custom" Larrivee that I want and it was built in a factory which is now closed in Canada. Just a fine sounding , easy playing guitar with herringbone rosette and binding (purfling?). Simple yet elegant, thanks John and JCL for making the Forum III run, some of us feel these are special guitars indeed.
I was thinking about this thread for another reason. But what I said is all still true today.
     Plus the memories of Bonnie smiling as I was playing, (probably the song MOVING MOUNTAINS by Justin Hayward) were a nice warm, glowing moment for me.
     I  think I'll play Moving Mountains now.

Thanks for reviving this thread, Danny.  As the OP, I welcome any updated responses to my original question.  When I started the topic, the Legacy series wasn't a thing yet.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: headsup on March 22, 2015, 06:44:51 PM
Well I already have a few of my dream Larrivee acoustics, as well as a couple RS4 monterys, and an eighties fancy maple RS4,

HOWEVER, since you asked.

I'd love semi acoustic arch top electric, similar to the Gibson ES339,
except with 25.5 scale,
ML Gen 3 Humbuckers.
Tone pros, and all the good stuff in the Montereys,
ebony finger board with RS4 inlays, on flame maple neck
flame maple back & sides, spruce top if available,
solid bock through the body,
antique violin burst,
and of course the proud name "Larrivee" on the headstock.
Schaller tuners
did I miss anything? oh ya, maple or kA bindings.

:+1:  Make that Two!
George

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on September 24, 2017, 03:11:06 AM
Thanks for reviving this thread, Danny.  As the OP, I welcome any updated responses to my original question.  When I started the topic, the Legacy series wasn't a thing yet.
I do mention my OO-40R in my post above. It is a Legacy series model.

But seriously,

LS 10 Florentine cutaway with a Manzer wedge.

Spruce top, curly maple body, ebony or other dark-wood binding with abalone inlay like 30 year anniversary model.

A great pickup.

Fast neck.

I'll play again.How about a smaller version of a jumbo instead of a 17" lower bout make it a 15" lower bout but still looks like a jumbo,maple back and sides,maple neck,ebony fingerboard,koa binding,no position makers on the board,old style rosett,maple head plate,and maybe a maple leaf inlay but still has the name on the headstock.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help