Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your dream Larrivee custom guitar. What would it be?  (Read 5259 times)
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2015, 05:46:53 AM »

USNavyChief recently posed this question:  "Just for fun, at the moment, what is your dream Larrivee custom shop guitar?"

After giving it some thought, my current desire would be for what I might call a "LS-50TSB custom".  I know this model doesn't exist at present, but we are in dreaming mode, right?

It would have a LS body.  It would have a select SA mahogany body, select sitka top, regular 14-fret unslotted neck but in a 25.0" scale length, model 50-style bindings, rosette, and appointments.  It would have tobacco sunburst, on the top only, with a semi-gloss finish on the entire guitar.  The headstock inlay would be a simple and elegant  image of a "shooting star" for which I would provide an example.  The tuners would be open-back Grover Sta-Tites.  The nut, saddle and bridge pins would be bone.

What about the rest of yous?

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

USNavySeniorChief

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 05:59:09 AM »

Thanks for getting this thread going! This is going to be a fun topic for sure!

"Guitars are meant to be played not dis-played."
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 07:04:33 AM »

SD-60 with Italian Spruce top and Brazilian rosewood back. 

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
USNavySeniorChief

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 08:09:43 AM »

SD-60 with Italian Spruce top and Brazilian rosewood back. 

I was fortunate enough to play an SD-60 RWI on loan to me for about a week and MAN these models are LOUD but very responsive when played softly. Lots of great beautiful tones on these models.

Here's a picture of the one I tested.

B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 09:17:45 AM »

I was fortunate enough to play an SD-60 RWI on loan to me for about a week and MAN these models are LOUD but very responsive when played softly. Lots of great beautiful tones on these models.

Here's a picture of the one I tested.
Yea, my favorite guitars ever are the SD50 and 60.  You're absolutely right about how responsive they are when played softly.  I'm thinking a Brazilian one would give me ideal tone.  There IS one out there for sale but I would feel just awful if I spent $4,500 on it when I spent only $1,700 ea on the other two.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Bas

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 09:36:07 AM »

The L-shape is amazing but since I've got one already: I would love a sunburst-painted D-60 with Sitka spruce top and Brazilian rosewood back and sides. An abalone inlayed rosette, maybe some fancier inlays on the fretboard but with just the regular headstock. I might consider a slotted headstock though.

Larrivée L-03/Anthem SL (2013)
Taylor GS "Bottleneck" Mini-e RW (2014)
Gibson LP Studio VS (2013)
Marshall JTM-1C: 50th Anniversary Edition ⊷ Little Green Wonder, Sweet Honey Overdrive & Silver Spring Reverb
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 11:03:25 AM »

I have it...  PV-03.  I'd like to try the O-50's (with cutaway) to see if the different bracing changes things, but I'm really happy with the PV.

Ed
rosborn

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »

I would love a Red Cedar top with EIR back and sides. So warm you could bathe in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 02:17:40 PM »

An OM03PA/12 string.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
katrinalotus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 02:49:14 PM »

I am fortunate enough to have had my dream Larrivee custom made.My P-03 silver oak. If I were to ever have another made though, it would be a P-03 with a cedar top, bloodwood back and sides with bubinga binding and even the Larrivee Headstock Logo in Bubinga or Mahogany/ Maple like John Jr. did with the wildwood customs.
gtrplayer

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 03:31:42 PM »

I'd like a Forum III cutaway in Italian spruce over grevilla robusta (silver oak) and scallop the braces please.  The rest with the same specs as the original Forum III   would equal my HOLY GRAIL bigrin
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 03:43:21 PM »

I'd like a Forum III cutaway in Italian spruce over grevilla robusta (silver oak) and scallop the braces please.  The rest with the same specs as the original Forum III   would equal my HOLY GRAIL bigrin
  Six years ago today we were in Vancouver to pick up our Forum III's. When I first played mine I was very pleased and still am every time I play it. Yesterday I was playing a few songs on a Jumbo maple 12 string that I put new strings on etc. for a friend. Then I played the same song(s) on my Larrivee dread and the OO-40R. My wife was making comments as I played on each guitar.
     Then I got the Forum III which is South American Mahogany and has an Italian spruce top. I only had played a little bit and my wife smiled and commented on the F-III having the best sound.

So after going on a fourteen Larrivee quest with Martins, Taylors and others thrown in, I have to say I have the "custom" Larrivee that I want and it was built in a factory which is now closed in Canada. Just a fine sounding , easy playing guitar with herringbone rosette and binding (purfling?). Simple yet elegant, thanks John and JCL for making the Forum III run, some of us feel these are special guitars indeed.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 04:19:12 PM »

I should add that the new 40 series is very close to my dream Larrivee. Add a slot head, pyramid bridge and gloss finish and that would do it. But my OO-40R is close enough.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 01:29:09 AM »

Since we are being allowed to dream.

OM-19  Black Walnut/Cedar

Being a -19 it would of course have one of Wendy's gorgeous inlays.   Wood bindings, but not maple, maybe koa, with matching heelcap and fretboard binding.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Tuba Mike

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 01:31:12 AM »

This changes for me so I will qualify by saying "at this time" my dream Larrivee would be:

LV-09
Silver Oak back & sides
Italian Spruce top
1 13/16th nut width
ebony binding on ebony fretboard
side markers on fretboard
open back tuners
no marks on fretboard or something simple at 12th fret
Maple Leaf inlay on the headstock
Rosewood binding
Rosette yet to be decided

I reserve the right to change my mind tomorrow.  

Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
USNavySeniorChief

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 01:43:16 AM »

I should add that the new 40 series is very close to my dream Larrivee. Add a slot head, pyramid bridge and gloss finish and that would do it. But my OO-40R is close enough.

You just pretty much described my custom ordered OM 40R currently in the making!

dazdarren

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 02:16:28 AM »

Six years ago today we were in Vancouver to pick up our Forum III's. When I first played mine I was very pleased and still am every time I play it. Yesterday I was playing a few songs on a Jumbo maple 12 string that I put new strings on etc. for a friend. Then I played the same song(s) on my Larrivee dread and the OO-40R. My wife was making comments as I played on each guitar.
     Then I got the Forum III which is South American Mahogany and has an Italian spruce top. I only had played a little bit and my wife smiled and commented on the F-III having the best sound.

So after going on a fourteen Larrivee quest with Martins, Taylors and others thrown in, I have to say I have the "custom" Larrivee that I want and it was built in a factory which is now closed in Canada. Just a fine sounding , easy playing guitar with herringbone rosette and binding (purfling?). Simple yet elegant, thanks John and JCL for making the Forum III run, some of us feel these are special guitars indeed.

Couldn't agree with you more. The Forum III is an amazing sounding guitar. Each time I play it I love it more and more
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 02:30:50 AM »

You just pretty much described my custom ordered OM 40R currently in the making!
Yup

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 02:31:54 AM »

Couldn't agree with you more. The Forum III is an amazing sounding guitar. Each time I play it I love it more and more
Some of us just got it. nice guitar

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 07:20:27 PM »

My dream Larrivee would be one that has my bride inlaid in the headstock

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: