Guitar Prices?

Started by Dan1954, February 08, 2005, 03:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What makes a guitar worth 10 to 20 thousand dollars or more? Are there no other less expensive guitars that sound as good as your Olsons etc? Seems like you are just paying for the privilege of a certain name on the headstock.
Dan
Ypsilanti, Michigan

Fender F 265-C
Larrivee OM-03
Gibson SG 62' Reissue
Washburn Rover
Late 60's Crestwood Astral II

A guitar, like anything else, is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  There must be people willing to pay that amount for guitars.  If there is a difference in sound quality between a $10,000 guitar and a $2,000 guitar, then my ears certainly can't hear it.  Usually, it's not sound quality that makes a guitar expensive.  It's typically uniqueness or just brand name recognition.
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

one thing you have to consider....the "one-off" builders (Olson, Ryan, Mayes, Wingert, Charis, etc) have to charge over 5 or 6k to be able to make a living...some folks (I am on the fence right now) are willing to pay that to get the "best of the best" and the attention to detail that kind of process can offer
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

Quoteone thing you have to consider....the "one-off" builders (Olson, Ryan, Mayes, Wingert, Charis, etc) have to charge over 5 or 6k to be able to make a living...some folks (I am on the fence right now) are willing to pay that to get the "best of the best" and the attention to detail that kind of process can offer

Are they that much better or is it just so you can say you own an Olson, Ryan, Mayes, Wingert, Charis? I don't know and never will, so don't take this wrong. It just seems so excessive when there are so many other fine guitars. Of course if you have the money then I guess it doesn't matter anyway.. :huh:  

Dan
Ypsilanti, Michigan

Fender F 265-C
Larrivee OM-03
Gibson SG 62' Reissue
Washburn Rover
Late 60's Crestwood Astral II

I think they build them to fit you, rather than you selecting a guitar which best fits you. If I had the bucks, hey why not. If you add up all the little things you waste money on they all add up, and pretty soon, it's not a big deal in comparison (ie: tips, going to diner, vacations, etc). Of course, first you have to have enough money to even consider.

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

This topic seems to come up regularly. Orsino posted a link to a very good article on the subject some time ago. http://www.esomogyi.com/handmade.html
IMHO factories have the advantage of being able to efficiently produce guitars that are exactly the same dimensionally with the same quality of fit and finish. Individual and small shop luthiers have the advantage of taking the time and applying their skills to work each piece to get their desired results. The same tone wood, even from the same billet, can exhibit very different properties that effect how it will sound. The question of hand built guitars playing better, looking better, and sounding better is an individual choice based on what one is able to see, hear, feel, and afford. I do believe that the comparison is usually not y 1-2K vs. 20K but more like 1-2K vs. 3-5K.  There are plenty of Goodalls, Olsons, Huss& Daltons, Bourgeois, etc. that price out well under $5K. There are also plenty of examples of factory guitars that are remarkable.  

QuoteWhat makes a guitar worth 10 to 20 thousand dollars or more? Are there no other less expensive guitars that sound as good as your Olsons etc? Seems like you are just paying for the privilege of a certain name on the headstock.
All the above answers make sense.  There's probably 10 more too that make sense.  There are very very few acoustic guitars that retail out at $10k or more.  Of course, I'm not including vintage instruments.  Most often, the price gets up there because Brazilian rosewood is used, or there are fancy appointments.  I can think of two classical builders whose base price is over $10k, but I can't think of any acoustic (flattop) luthiers whose base price is over $10k.

There are dozens of superb luthiers with base prices in the $3k to $5k range that make guitars which rival any other, at least to some people.  Very nice instruments.

There is really one reason.

"If you have to ask, then it's not for you"

Guess they're not for me!

At the Newport Guitar Festival this past summer, I had the opportunity to sample a bevy of handmade guitars priced from $3K - $20K.  There were all sorts of body shapes and wood choices, and I can honestly say that there is a difference.  Sure it is subtle, and for most people it wouldn't really matter, but for people in the world with lots of money to spend however they want its the way to go.  Hard to believe if you're not one of them, but there are lots of people in the world with lots of money.

E. Shoaf

QuoteWhat makes a guitar worth 10 to 20 thousand dollars or more? Are there no other less expensive guitars that sound as good as your Olsons etc?
Yes, they are called Blackwoods, Larrivee made a few and they cost much less than 10-20 thousand dollars... :ph34r:  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

Not in the same range, but I was lucky to purchase for $800 a used small-luthier classical that sells new for $3,400. I would probably never pay that much for a guitar, but one thing I can say is that classical out-classes any "off-the-rack" classical I've ever played. Soooo smooth, soooo even, and quite loud.

Not in the same range, but I was lucky to purchase for $800 a used small-luthier classical that sells new for $3,400. I would probably never pay that much for a guitar, but one thing I can say is that classical out-classes any "off-the-rack" classical I've ever played. Soooo smooth, soooo even, and quite loud.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v220/ElGuita...sical%20Guitar/