Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 weeks of humifification  (Read 947 times)
baillieul

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2015, 11:43:59 PM »

I am looking for a simple, guitar in case solution to humidify my Larrivees for up to 4 weeks while travelling in the dead of Canadian winter. I currently use the Planet Waves soundhole humidifiers plus a sponge/soap box near the headstock. I have been looking at the humidipaks, and think they may be good for 3-4 weeks at best, and they seem pricy. Any less expensive solutions come to mind?
webberink

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 11:59:04 PM »

I use what you are currently using in conjunction with the himidipak and the humidipak lasts all winter.  I use this system with 4 guitars and I live in the cold winter dry of the Cariboo region of BC in Canada

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
baillieul

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 12:57:54 AM »

I use what you are currently using in conjunction with the himidipak and the humidipak lasts all winter.  I use this system with 4 guitars and I live in the cold winter dry of the Cariboo region of BC in Canada
How do use the humidipaks and the planet waves soundhole humidifier at he same time?
oldblackdogs

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 07:58:12 PM »

While I agree that the humidipacks are expensive, it beats a cracked top.  I have used them now for 4 consecutive summers while camping for several weeks at a time.  We travel all over the western U.S. so we cover extreme ranges of humidity and temperature, sometimes within a 24 hour period (for instance from a couple of days in Death Valley to a stay in the high Sierra, in July).  I have found that if you are careful, it can be done safely.

Having said all of that, I *did* just buy an old Epiphone Masterbilt for that trip, as I was tired of risking a Larrivee.  But, in my experience, if done properly, humidipacks work.

I am also a little nervous about putting anything inside the guitar that could theoretically spring a leak and drip water inside it.
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 03:56:11 AM »

Two of the planet waves style soundhole humidifiers will do it, but you need the old ones with the Phenolic foam, or take the new ones, throw out the garbage yellow sponge, and cut phenolic foam to fit.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
webberink

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 09:22:52 PM »

Baillieul
What I do is put the "just damp" sponge planet wave thingy inside the sound hole with the humidipak draped over it  in the sound hole.  I put a damp sponge in a slightly open baggy or soap dish with holes in the peg head area of the case with the third humidipak adjacent to it.  The damp sponges keep the humidity up and the humidipak keeps it in the 45% range in the case.  Works real good for me all fall/winter/spring.  I have to usually freshen the sponges about every 10 days. The humidipaks last the whole season. In summer the humidty in my area is no problem or a little higher than 45% so I just use the Humdipak by themselves and they are toast by the start of fall and I buy new ones for the year.
Dave

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: