On the Hunt for a New Guitar, Advice?

Started by redwoodwildflower, February 05, 2015, 11:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So I was checking around online last night and found custom L03s not too far away from my budget, different woods used for the guitar. So should I stick with the original or look into the customs?  Some of the wood colorings were so pretty.

Quote from: redwoodwildflower on February 15, 2015, 04:21:54 PM
So I was checking around online last night and found custom L03s not too far away from my budget, different woods used for the guitar. So should I stick with the original or look into the customs?  Some of the wood colorings were so pretty.

Such as???

Actually you can't go wrong with a Larrivee, but it is a matter of size and tone that you prefer.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on February 15, 2015, 04:41:12 PM
Such as???

Actually you can't go wrong with a Larrivee, but it is a matter of size and tone that you prefer.

I found the site through someone's signature here on the forum. I can't remember who's. Anyway, they have several different L03s made of various wood. Off the top of my head I remember an alpine spruce and rosewood, several cedar variations.

There were some walnut combinations and all mahogany as well.

Larrivee is great, partly because of the tremendous variations available in tone woods as well as sizes etc.  For a first Larrivee though I would keep it simple if it were me.  An L-03 with any kind of spruce top and Rosewood or Mahogany back and sides would be my choice for the first one.  That wood be the classic Larrivee configuration.  Later one can begin to experiment with different sizes and tone woods.
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

So much to choose from. :?  :wacko:
Pain is a good thing

the Custom Larrivees at Wildwood lol very appealing. Upgraded woods and good prices.  I agree with the previous poster who suggested going with Mahogany or Rosewood back/sides for your first Larrivee.

Quote from: webberink on February 15, 2015, 10:36:54 PM
Larrivee is great, partly because of the tremendous variations available in tone woods as well as sizes etc.  For a first Larrivee though I would keep it simple if it were me.  An L-03 with any kind of spruce top and Rosewood or Mahogany back and sides would be my choice for the first one.  That wood be the classic Larrivee configuration.  Later one can begin to experiment with different sizes and tone woods.
Dave

Quote from: dazdarren on February 15, 2015, 11:59:02 PM
the Custom Larrivees at Wildwood lol very appealing. Upgraded woods and good prices.  I agree with the previous poster who suggested going with Mahogany or Rosewood back/sides for your first Larrivee.

Yes it was Wildwood  :laughin: That's what I was thinking. My logical side said stick with classic, but my eyes said "oh pretty!" There were so many pretty shades and wood patterns. 

Quote from: broKen on February 15, 2015, 10:41:36 PM
So much to choose from. :?  :wacko:

I know! I had no clue there were so many different choices when I began my search.  :?

There's a reason why the vast majority of guitars are made from spruce and mahogany or rosewood  These tonewoods have proven to produce the sound that most of us associate with acoustic guitars.   exotic woods are sometimes more appealing to our visual sense but don't always deliver the goods tonewise.  Not to say that sometimes they can't also sound great as well.  But the old standby woods are tried and true.  I'd recommend starting out with spruce mahogany or spruce rosewood until you've got enough experience  to be able to tell subtle differences between the other wood combinations.   If you stay with it long enough there's bound to be other guitars in your future.

Of course, all newer 03 models are sapele now, aren't they? You'd either have to upgrade to an 05 or look for a used older model in mahogany. That or look at the 03R in rosewood. Do they make 03Ms?

Quote from: tuffythepug on February 16, 2015, 05:30:16 AM
There's a reason why the vast majority of guitars are made from spruce and mahogany or rosewood  These tonewoods have proven to produce the sound that most of us associate with acoustic guitars.   exotic woods are sometimes more appealing to our visual sense but don't always deliver the goods tonewise.  Not to say that sometimes they can't also sound great as well.  But the old standby woods are tried and true.  I'd recommend starting out with spruce mahogany or spruce rosewood until you've got enough experience  to be able to tell subtle differences between the other wood combinations.   If you stay with it long enough there's bound to be other guitars in your future.

I was thinking that, I just needed someone to talk some sense in to me!  :laughin: It's funny because I generally lean toward less flashy guitars, I like satin finishes. I will admit the quilted mahogany and other quilted woods are very pretty.

If you want the ultimate in classic Larrivee pretty and with master class tone woods too check out the L10 - in figured mahogany with a bearclaw spruce top at not much more than a new L-03 on the forums for sale page.  Its hard to resist and it has a PU installed too.  Not trying to confuse you or anything.
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

I saw that one, it's absolutely beautiful! Looks like it has already sold. I think that is one of the prettiest guitars I have seen.

From all that you have written so far, it seems to me your ear prefers a mahogany guitar. Sapele (sa-peel-ee) is used on many of the "03" Larrivees now (and Taylors lower end, and many other under $1000 guitars these days), but having owned both sapele and mahogany, there is very little difference sonically. And as you also stated the "L" body won you over in playing sound and size, I can't imagine a reason to not choose the L-03 as your "new" guitar; I put new in quotation because you can probably find quite a few used ones that will still be quite satisfying in condition and price. With what you have mentioned for your budget, make sure you get a hard shell case with your Larrivee L-03; should be easily attainable. And then DEFINITELY get a set-up done for the ultimate in satisfaction (may be included in some purchases from dealers, or around $40-80 from a respectable repair tech).
Then be satisfied once you have made your choice (don't look back)! ENJOY!

Quote from: naboz on February 17, 2015, 11:04:43 AM
From all that you have written so far, it seems to me your ear prefers a mahogany guitar. Sapele (sa-peel-ee) is used on many of the "03" Larrivees now (and Taylors lower end, and many other under $1000 guitars these days), but having owned both sapele and mahogany, there is very little difference sonically. And as you also stated the "L" body won you over in playing sound and size, I can't imagine a reason to not choose the L-03 as your "new" guitar; I put new in quotation because you can probably find quite a few used ones that will still be quite satisfying in condition and price. With what you have mentioned for your budget, make sure you get a hard shell case with your Larrivee L-03; should be easily attainable. And then DEFINITELY get a set-up done for the ultimate in satisfaction (may be included in some purchases from dealers, or around $40-80 from a respectable repair tech).
Then be satisfied once you have made your choice (don't look back)! ENJOY!

Thanks, I definitely have decided that I'm going with the L-03. I had found Wildwood's website and was surprised by the several different wood combinations and the possibility of them being near my price range. I did notice that most I picked out were mahogany but I'm not sure if it was because there were not a supply of rosewood guitars to play. I did play a Martin one and then played the same Martin but a less expensive version of it with a mahogany back. I think the more expensive rosewood one sounded more rich but I had to really listen for a difference. The other guitar I was considering was a Martin solid mahogany. That being said, since I really did love the L-03 I played, I should stick with that combination. I was under the impression that the L-03 was spruce and mahogany? That's what the Larrivee website says, but did they change to sapele?

While looking at Wildwood's website, I found very nice LV-03s in a mahogany spruce combination, with a pickup. I like the idea of a pickup and a cutaway. Ones I've played with a cutaway I enjoyed and I play softly so a pickup might be nice to have if I eventually want to do some open mic nights or something. However, neither of those specifics are a deal breaker if a guitar doesn't have them. If I got a guitar without a pickup I wouldn't have one put in, something about having to drill holes in it, I know it sounds silly, but I read an article about Gillian Welch's guitars and she feels the same way. So, I guess where I'm going with this, since I can't compare an L-03 to an LV-03 in person regarding sound I'm relying on your expertise. Does a cutaway impact sound at all? I'm trying to cover all my bases and do as much research as possible while I'm pulling my money together. Thanks again everyone for your advice and help!  :smile:

Quote from: redwoodwildflower on February 17, 2015, 02:15:01 PM
Thanks, I definitely have decided that I'm going with the L-03. I had found Wildwood's website and was surprised by the several different wood combinations and the possibility of them being near my price range. I did notice that most I picked out were mahogany but I'm not sure if it was because there were not a supply of rosewood guitars to play. I did play a Martin one and then played the same Martin but a less expensive version of it with a mahogany back. I think the more expensive rosewood one sounded more rich but I had to really listen for a difference. The other guitar I was considering was a Martin solid mahogany. That being said, since I really did love the L-03 I played, I should stick with that combination. I was under the impression that the L-03 was spruce and mahogany? That's what the Larrivee website says, but did they change to sapele?

While looking at Wildwood's website, I found very nice LV-03s in a mahogany spruce combination, with a pickup. I like the idea of a pickup and a cutaway. Ones I've played with a cutaway I enjoyed and I play softly so a pickup might be nice to have if I eventually want to do some open mic nights or something. However, neither of those specifics are a deal breaker if a guitar doesn't have them. If I got a guitar without a pickup I wouldn't have one put in, something about having to drill holes in it, I know it sounds silly, but I read an article about Gillian Welch's guitars and she feels the same way. So, I guess where I'm going with this, since I can't compare an L-03 to an LV-03 in person regarding sound I'm relying on your expertise. Does a cutaway impact sound at all? I'm trying to cover all my bases and do as much research as possible while I'm pulling my money together. Thanks again everyone for your advice and help!  :smile:

Regarding aftermarket pickups:   There are many very good options for adding a pickup which do not require any drilling at all.  So if you find the guitar you want don't let the lack of a factory pickup influence your decision.

I own a custom LV-03RE from Wildwood, one with an Italian Alpine Spruce top. Spectacular guitar with a bit of extra detail to push it a bit beyond the standard 03's. I also am quite happy with the L.R. Baggs pick-up, and I find myself using the built in tuner just as often as a clip on tuner. I shopped a lot of different guitars before I bought this one, different names on the headstock, different models, you name it. So happy I found those customs from Wildwood, and Marty and Don were great to deal with, too. Consider this my ringing endorsement for a custom LV-03 from Wildwood!   
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Quote from: redwoodwildflower on February 17, 2015, 02:15:01 PM
. Does a cutaway impact sound at all?

None that I have ever noticed.

Tuffy is right, there are pickup options that don't require drilling into the guitar. All the new ones are already drilled at the end pin for a pick-up, you just remove the pin and put in the jack.  I prefer the K&K sound board transducers that glue to the bridge plate.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I wouldn't be at all afraid of an alternative wood such as walnut or silver oak or zebrawood. I own a walnut (Peruvian) spruce guitar that has outstanding tone. Wildwood has an L-03 spruce walnut. Most anything JCL makes will not disappoint. Be for warned that few are satisfied with just one  :bgrin:
Pain is a good thing

Regarding the difference between a cutaway and non-cutaway:

Somebody with better ears could tell you that they sound different but I am a bit of a skeptic. I believe the venetian cutaway looks great and gives access to the upper frets that I like to visit once in a while. That being said, the non-cutaway would be fine too but I can't tell a noticeable difference in the sound.

I added an I Beam pickup with only minimal, undetectable modifications required during the installation. The volume control is inside the sound hole and can be easily accessed with a quick spin by your finger. If you decide to go to an open mike night, play at church or for a school/civic event, you can easily plug in and be heard.

While I have not purchased a guitar from Wildwood in Ohio, I did visit their shop and it is even better than you can imagine and I have heard nothing but good things about them online. They have an incredible selection and I watched them talk to a guy who was helping his daughter pick out a guitar. Knowledgeable and virtually no high pressure to help them find the right guitar.