Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On the Hunt for a New Guitar, Advice?  (Read 15881 times)
redwoodwildflower

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2015, 03:23:55 AM »

It's here! My new to me guitar arrived today and now I'm impatiently waiting to open it! I will post photos once I do. Thanks again for everyone's advice, I really appreciate it!  bigrin
dazdarren

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2015, 07:18:58 AM »

Excellent. I am looking forward to hearing  all about  it
redwoodwildflower

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2015, 09:47:10 PM »

Here she is! I am very impressed and happy with my decision. I was pleasantly surprised that it has a satin finish. In excellent condition aside from some very minor scratches. I called someone to have her set up, so hopefully I'll be able to do that soon. I've heard that it takes several months to get an appointment with this guy though.

redwoodwildflower

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2015, 09:50:01 PM »

A couple more photos. This one with flash.
redwoodwildflower

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2015, 10:12:23 PM »

I was going to email about a manufacture date but when I looked at the label inside, there's no number. It's hand signed and says Made in the USA Oxnard California.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2015, 10:36:24 PM »

I was going to email about a manufacture date but when I looked at the label inside, there's no number. It's hand signed and says Made in the USA Oxnard California.

There should be a number stamped on the neck block inside the guitar.  My OM-03's S/N is 03 105045.  It was apparently made 08-15-2008 according to Larrivee's Mike Kitchen.

Congratulations.  You sure did your homework and it looks like it has been a worthwhile exercise.

Kurt

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

redwoodwildflower

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2015, 11:41:01 PM »

There should be a number stamped on the neck block inside the guitar.  My OM-03's S/N is 03 105045.  It was apparently made 08-15-2008 according to Larrivee's Mike Kitchen.

Congratulations.  You sure did your homework and it looks like it has been a worthwhile exercise.

Kurt

Thanks!  bigrin Also, I was able to find the serial number with your help.
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2015, 12:13:46 AM »

I LIKE IT! Thanks for the pics and update. Cool guitar 

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
dazdarren

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2015, 05:08:33 AM »

Very nice looking guitar.  I heard once that Jean personally paints the sunburst on all such guitars himself.  If that's the case you have the man himself involved in the build. 

How does it sound?  Is it everything you hoped for tone  wise?  Waiting months to get a setup is a long time to wait although good luthiers are few and far between.  Hopefully you can still play and enjoy it before you get a proper setup
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2015, 06:45:25 AM »

I would love to have a tobacco sunburst Larrivee L-05 or OM-50.

redwoodwildflower

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2015, 08:03:04 PM »

Very nice looking guitar.  I heard once that Jean personally paints the sunburst on all such guitars himself.  If that's the case you have the man himself involved in the build. 

How does it sound?  Is it everything you hoped for tone  wise?  Waiting months to get a setup is a long time to wait although good luthiers are few and far between.  Hopefully you can still play and enjoy it before you get a proper setup

It sounds great! It is everything I wanted in sound. It sounds balanced to me, not too bright, not too deep. I'm not that great at noting differences in sound. I think I'll be able to still play it while I wait, I played it yesterday and really enjoyed it. When I first pulled it out of the packaging, it sounded terrible and didn't feel great, I instantly got worried, but then I realized the strings had been loosened and that was the cause.  It took my a while to get it tuned but once I did, it sounded great and felt nice to play. I think I'll be able to wait a while to get it set up, sounds like a good guy to go to so I'm willing to wait.

L07 Shooting Star- I'm a fan of sunburst guitars, I don't know what it is that appeals to me but I really love the look. I saw someone post the ice tea sunburst, that was gorgeous!

On another note, I bought a hygrometer to check the humidity and I was right between 45-55% but then as the night went on it went up to 60%. The humidity levels were 41-60% so I guess I don't need to add humidity but I need to lower it. I'm not sure why it's so high. 
Bas

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2015, 09:48:57 PM »

nice guitar

Thanks for the pics. The sunburst is lovely, indeed. Glad you've gotten what you were looking for.

About humidification:
The 'right' humidity level may be a bit higher during the night (read: when temperature is lower). See this post for a detailed chart.

Larrivée L-03/Anthem SL (2013)
Taylor GS "Bottleneck" Mini-e RW (2014)
Gibson LP Studio VS (2013)
Marshall JTM-1C: 50th Anniversary Edition ⊷ Little Green Wonder, Sweet Honey Overdrive & Silver Spring Reverb
rosborn

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2015, 03:30:15 AM »

redwoodwildflower,

Congratulations on the new guitar.  As far as I'm concerned, it's new whether it's brand new or not.  It is beautiful and I'm very glad that you're happy with it.

Isn't it amazing how a Larrivee guitar can brighten your whole day?

Rob
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2015, 04:54:52 AM »

Heres the chart Bas is referring too. As you can see by the chart if you were to lower your thermostat in the evening to 65f the safe range for humidity is 53 to 70 so no need to worry about 60% humidity.
The temperature in our house varies quite a bit through out a typical day. The music room is on the south side of the house so it might get as high as 73 during the day if the sun is shining and I open the blinds or it might get down to 63 in the evening if we turn the heat to 65 and it is especially cold out.  I do live in MI so your YMMV.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2015, 06:55:54 AM »

................ On another note, I bought a hygrometer to check the humidity and I was right between 45-55% but then as the night went on it went up to 60%. The humidity levels were 41-60% so I guess I don't need to add humidity but I need to lower it. I'm not sure why it's so high. 

Your location, Oregon, probably has something to do with the humidity levels you are experiencing.  Those values are pretty ideal and you probably don't need to humidify if that is the case.  In the summer, you might actually have humidity levels that are higher than ideal.  Do you live near the coast or inland?  Still a good idea to monitor these values though.

redwoodwildflower

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2015, 06:59:15 PM »

Thanks everyone!

As far as the humidity goes, I've been going by the Larrivee chart, but looking at the chart from Bas and MR_LV19E it looks like I'm right in the average range, that's good to hear.

L07 Shooting Star, I am in Oregon, I'm inland, about an hour and a half away from the coast. I was thinking that the humidity will be higher during the summer as well.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2015, 02:02:46 PM »

Congrats. Looks beautiful. 
CycleBob

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2015, 05:00:41 PM »

Very nice! 
Now just waiting for my new guitar......... drool

Larrivee D03E
Larrivee OM-03MT
Martin D15M
Seagull S12 Plus
redwoodwildflower

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2015, 08:33:34 AM »

Thanks again!

Today was my first lesson with it. It was so nice! My teacher said it was a lot warmer and richer in tone than the guitar I normally play and that it had very nice resonance.

Tonight when I got home from work I took it out to play and when I was setting it down in front of me I noticed there was a ding in the bottom of the guitar. It was an unpleasant surprise and hadn't been mentioned to me when I was purchasing it. It appears to be just surface but it's definitely a dent not a scratch. I just hope it doesn't get bigger.

Better news, I heard back from the luthier today and will be meeting with him next week to look over my guitar and discuss what would be good for it. Glad I found the blemish now so that I can show him and see what he thinks.
Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2015, 10:37:08 AM »

Nice guitar! Really glad it pleases your ears and eyes. I notice in the pictures that your guitar is leaning up against what looks to be a gig bag. Did your guitar not come with a standard Larrivee hard shell case? 

Larrivee LV-03RE
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Gibson Nouveau NV-12
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: