Best 200.00 you'll ever spend......

Started by fitness1, February 04, 2015, 09:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Equally as impressive for guitar or vocals.   I've liked Blue mics for quite a while now, but just picked up a pair of these and am just blown away by the tonal quality....super hot and really warm sounding.    The basket design really gives great off-axis response, and they are incredible at rejecting feedback. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Microphones-enCORE-300-Pair-New-w-Warranty-JRR-Shop/181658131346?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D28797%26meid%3D4065b83428594237b57f2e5c28cb2e68%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D141565054485
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

Warm is right....but too warm for me. Almost like it's eq'd, I use it to record when I want a preshaped sound.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: flatlander on February 06, 2015, 09:26:03 PM
Warm is right....but too warm for me. Almost like it's eq'd, I use it to record when I want a preshaped sound.

Not sure what you are using it for, but maybe you just need to back off on the gain or move away from the mic a touch? :guitar
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Have any sample recordings?

Maybe something recorded with a Blue and another familiar mic simultaneously?

Quote from: skyline on February 07, 2015, 08:50:44 PM
Have any sample recordings?

Maybe something recorded with a Blue and another familiar mic simultaneously?

Within an hour of receiving these I listed and sold my other mics, so I don't have any other's to A/B against.

I'll try to get something posted using them soon.

I've had probably 20 different brands and models of LDC and SDC's here in the last 10 years in the sub 400 range and I knew right away when I plugged these in they were the best.....it was that obvious.
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Just FYI - this deal is back on again.....

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/enCORE300

And - I did do a quick recording with them - see the Radney Foster tune I put up in the other section...

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=48108.0
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Quote from: fitness1 on February 07, 2015, 03:06:43 PM

Not sure what you are using it for, but maybe you just need to back off on the gain or move away from the mic a touch? :guitar
Hmm. Matter of taste?  Not a gain/levels issue. I have nice tube preamps and set the levels carefully. Perhaps I could play around with positioning more but mine is generally speaking not as cyrstal clear as my AKG's. Not saying it's bad or distorted. I use it but for certain function. Particularly as second mic on guitar to bring out deeper bass/smooth rythym sound. And the price is certainly good. For my taste though the AKG's particularly the C-214 smokes it. But also you have to waiting for them to go on sale to get for 300.00 and they are not a stage mic as these are.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Yes, the 214 is certainly a much more responsive and brighter mic - and as you say - it's pretty much a dedicated recording mic.  You'd have to be in a very quiet room to use it to gig with.   These 300's are 1/3 or less of the cost and are the best live mics I've ever used, and are pretty darn good for recording too.
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Quote from: fitness1 on April 03, 2015, 09:00:02 PMAnd - I did do a quick recording with them - see the Radney Foster tune I put up in the other section... http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=48108.0

Thanks for that. Good tune, great performance, and the Blues do sound fine!
Now if the loonie would just climb out of the dumpster . . .