Bob Dylan - Shadows in the Night

Started by ducktrapper, February 04, 2015, 03:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: eded on May 20, 2015, 05:55:36 AM
Despite his lifetime of experience, I think he suffers from major stage fright. 

Probably just the build up, but I was disappointed.  I've been disappointed by him before (whole albums, heck almost whole decades worth).

Ed

I don't think it's stage fright so much as T.V. fright. He's always seemed very comfortable on stage and very awkward on TV. I thought he was pretty good last night. T.V. is almost never a good medium for live music, don't forget. It's why most performers lip synch over the years.   

I ended up missing the show, just watched it on YouTube (a rarity, since Bob regularly has his stuff scrubbed from YT).

I think Bob has had to become something of a recluse over the years just to maintain his privacy and sanity, therefore he comes across as socially inept, or at least painfully shy (which he may be).

During the guitar break? I got the impression he was miming a little dancing (like you might do to an old Sinatra tune) - he was just missing a partner...

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 20, 2015, 03:04:51 PM
I ended up missing the show, just watched it on YouTube (a rarity, since Bob regularly has his stuff scrubbed from YT).

I think Bob has had to become something of a recluse over the years just to maintain his privacy and sanity, therefore he comes across as socially inept, or at least painfully shy (which he may be).

During the guitar break? I got the impression he was miming a little dancing (like you might do to an old Sinatra tune) - he was just missing a partner...

I thought it was a little Chaplinesque. The tugging on his lapels, the clenching his fist. The manipulating the microphone. It's always been my impression that he hates T.V. and only reluctantly appears cos, you know, it's good for business. He is an odd duck and, you know, as a ducktrapper, I oughta know these things.  :winkin:     

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 20, 2015, 03:30:15 PM

He is an odd duck and, you know, as a ducktrapper, I oughta know these things.  :winkin:     

Indeed.  :thumb

Kidding, kidding...  :wink:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Thumbs up on the dancing impression. I guess when your partner is a microphone, it makes you look a little stiff  :smile:

I was impressed that he was hitting the right notes - it may have been the closest thing to singing he's ever done.

Re: the awkwardness on stage - my wife thinks it may be Asperger's syndrome. She's been around people with it and notes some similarities. Here are some tidbits from WebMD:

Problems with social skills: often are awkward in social situations.
Communication difficulties: People with Asperger's syndrome may not make eye contact when speaking with someone.
Skilled or talented: Many children with Asperger's syndrome are exceptionally talented or skilled in a particular area, such as music or math.

A Dylan fan since the 60's....
Rob

Larrivee D-05
Larrivee RS-4 Custom (Arctic White)

Quote from: robwms on May 21, 2015, 08:34:19 PM
Thumbs up on the dancing impression. I guess when your partner is a microphone, it makes you look a little stiff  :smile:

I was impressed that he was hitting the right notes - it may have been the closest thing to singing he's ever done.

Re: the awkwardness on stage - my wife thinks it may be Asperger's syndrome. She's been around people with it and notes some similarities. Here are some tidbits from WebMD:

Problems with social skills: often are awkward in social situations.
Communication difficulties: People with Asperger's syndrome may not make eye contact when speaking with someone.
Skilled or talented: Many children with Asperger's syndrome are exceptionally talented or skilled in a particular area, such as music or math.

A Dylan fan since the 60's....

Aspergers? That's ridiculous. No discussions of his childhood indicate anything like that. Have a look at some of his early interviews, the interviews on Scorcese's film, "No Direction Home" or even the one he did on 60 minutes a few years back. I've seen him six times in concert and while he rarely says anything other than to introduce the band and Thank you, he seems quite comfortable. On the other hand, if you can find me one T.V. performance where he seems comfortable, I'd like to see it. For some reason, he is not at home on television. If you've followed Dylan's career, you might notice that adulation makes him uncomfortable. It's not always easy for Robert Zimmerman to be Bob Dylan. Not being treated like a normal guy, makes him uncomfortable. Being asked about anything other than the music elicits discomfort and often sarcasm. While he sought out an audience for his art and coveted fame with single minded devotion, he is not always happy to have an audience and has discovered, as many have, that fame is a two edged sword and a fickle mistress. He has an IQ somewhere in the stratosphere but no way does he have Aspergers. My guess? INTP or INFJ sometimes overcompensating for rather extreme introversion. Drugs and alcohol may have played their role, as well. One of the weirdos.

Oh and, in my humble opinion, he's always been a great singer, in his own right.

Ridiculous? Yes you're probably right about that. As you say, one of the weirdos. Not being up to snuff on my Jungian personality types, I did a little web surfing and it seems many sites label him as ISFP. But then there are those who argue just as passionately that he is INFP or something else. Clearly, he can't be put into a box. I just rewatched the 1965 San Francisco press conference where he played with journalists for an hour. Anyone trying to analyze his personality based on that performance is on a fool's errand.

And, oh, in my humble opinion he isn't and never was a great singer. I remember as a teen in the sixties playing a Dylan cut for an aunt of mine (she was very hip, into jazz in a big way). She ran from the room with her hands covering her ears, screaming "Turn it off! Turn it off!".
Rob

Larrivee D-05

Quote from: robwms on May 27, 2015, 10:42:13 PM
Ridiculous? Yes you're probably right about that. As you say, one of the weirdos. Not being up to snuff on my Jungian personality types, I did a little web surfing and it seems many sites label him as ISFP. But then there are those who argue just as passionately that he is INFP or something else. Clearly, he can't be put into a box. I just rewatched the 1965 San Francisco press conference where he played with journalists for an hour. Anyone trying to analyze his personality based on that performance is on a fool's errand.

And, oh, in my humble opinion he isn't and never was a great singer. I remember as a teen in the sixties playing a Dylan cut for an aunt of mine (she was very hip, into jazz in a big way). She ran from the room with her hands covering her ears, screaming "Turn it off! Turn it off!".

Sorry, ridiculous was a bit strong. It's impossible to assess someone else's personality type but the two I mentioned are the two rarest, with under three per cent of the population, so I guessed he'd probably be in there. I would bet on the I and the N part though. Your aunt's probably been wrong before.  :beer

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 28, 2015, 05:54:20 AM
Your aunt's probably been wrong before.

Oh yes, many times.

Probably the worst mistake she made was marrying my uncle... :arrow
Rob

Larrivee D-05