Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RS-4 with P90's vs Humbuckers  (Read 6372 times)
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2015, 02:51:32 PM »

Looking for feedback (pun intended  ) on the difference in sound when comparing a Larrivee RS-4 with P90's versus Humbuckers?  Is one PUP configuration more versatile?  One better for jazz sounds?

Thanks 
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 03:31:28 PM »

Well I have both, and I have posted a lot about those guitars.
 BEST for the smoothest, most majestic fat and clean guitar ever is the Humbucking model.
Hands down.
there are early ones with Lollars and later ones with different generations of Matt's own design, which I think are stellar ( I have Gen 3)

The P90's are nice, but I have had issues with them, and it took a while to finally get things right.
 But basically they're a better pup for edge and pedal additions.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 05:03:14 PM »

I don't have an RS but as a fan of P90's I have always found them to be more toneful,strum lightly you get a nice sweet sound strum harder and they growl like a lion without changing any thing.Humbuckers always sound nice when strummed lightly but dig in and they get muddy in the middle.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 06:04:31 PM »

I don't have an RS but as a fan of P90's I have always found them to be more toneful,strum lightly you get a nice sweet sound strum harder and they growl like a lion without changing any thing.Humbuckers always sound nice when strummed lightly but dig in and they get muddy in the middle.

There is no middle muddy with RS4 Humbucker guitars, if there was, I wouldn't own one.....
best sounding electric guitar I have ever owned, (and I've owned them all).

Like over 50?

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 01:42:23 AM »

You must have Matthew pu's in yours.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 11:46:20 AM »

Can someone buy the Humbuckers from Larrivee?  Are they easy to install?
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 01:57:12 PM »

There are other folks who have bought ML Pups and installed them on their guitars, you can probably find that thread in this forum some-where.
Just understand, putting a Rolls-Royce motor in any other car, doesn't make it a Rols-Royce...... whistling

Like over 50?

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 08:45:53 PM »

I have a covered set if you're interested (bought them from another member of the forum here - don't remember who) - I probably ought to list them in the for sale section though...  whistling

I don't know if Larrivee will sell them to you directly, or if you'll have to order them through a dealer, but you can buy them as replacement pickups.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 10:50:51 PM »

I have a covered set if you're interested (bought them from another member of the forum here - don't remember who) - I probably ought to list them in the for sale section though...  whistling

I don't know if Larrivee will sell them to you directly, or if you'll have to order them through a dealer, but you can buy them as replacement pickups.

Are these easy to install?  What does it take?
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 12:51:32 AM »

Are these easy to install?  What does it take?

Basic soldering skills and a soldering iron, solder, etc. It's very simple, but scary if you've never done it before. Easily done by a good guitar tech for not a whole lot of money.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 10:07:14 PM »

I am a fan of P90's myself, especially the newer models that are quiet as a mouse (noiseless).  My very favorite are the Generation 3 Larrivee P90's, but Fralin makes awesome P92's and Big Singles that will directly replace humbucker size pickups as well.  P90's emanate a Very Round profound sound... My two cents, George

George
nctom

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 11:55:10 PM »

While I no longer play electric, I have always preferred P-90's to humbuckers. On older Gibsons the breakup and tone of P-90's always sounded and felt better. I don't much care for the modern "silent" models, though. I haven't heard the newer Larrivee pickups, but I'm sure they are great. Good luck in choosing.
vates

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 05:16:46 PM »

Are there any clips (either sound- or -video-) of P90-equipped RS out there?

Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33
kaos

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 02:16:24 AM »

Are there any clips (either sound- or -video-) of P90-equipped RS out there?

try this or this

blush
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 02:48:12 AM »

I highly respect the opinions expressed here - they're all valid.

My experience with both of these models (RS-2 w/P-90s and RS-4 with Matthew's humbuckers); I played the RS-4 all the time, and the RS-2 very little. The Larrivee humbuckers are so articulate and clear that they're very versatile...which was part of the reason the RS-2 hung on the wall most of the time. Also, the P-90 in the bridge of the RS-2 seemed little underpowered - it was very twangy and Tele like (not a BAD thing); I always rolled back the tone control to around 6 to make it more usable. And I wished it was more full sounding and balanced with the neck pup (which was great, BTW).

Also, in most situations, I couldn't play the RS-2 out, because the hum was an issue.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
vates

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 10:15:48 AM »

try this or this

Thanks!

Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 02:41:21 PM »

My experience with both of these models (RS-2 w/P-90s and RS-4 with Matthew's humbuckers); I played the RS-4 all the time, and the RS-2 very little. The Larrivee humbuckers are so articulate and clear that they're very versatile...which was part of the reason the RS-2 hung on the wall most of the time. Also, the P-90 in the bridge of the RS-2 seemed little underpowered - it was very twangy and Tele like (not a BAD thing); I always rolled back the tone control to around 6 to make it more usable. And I wished it was more full sounding and balanced with the neck pup (which was great, BTW).

Also, in most situations, I couldn't play the RS-2 out, because the hum was an issue.

I have never experienced any of these issues with either my RS2 or my RS4 with P90's.  Quiet, no hum, round and full just like a P90 should be.  They are both Larrivee Generation 3 P90 versions.  I regret selling my RS4 with Larrivee Generation 3 Humbuckers, I sold it in a moment of weakness because it was not played as much as the other two.  Now that they do not make them any more I really wish I had it back, beautiful Root Beer Burst...

George
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 02:53:55 PM »

I've never had the opportunity to try one of the new Larrivée electrics with Matt's pickups, hb's or otherwise, but my RS-4 with Lollars sounds incredible. If ML's are even better, they must be fine indeed. Jason Lollar Imperial's are very highly regarded which, I imagine, is why Larrivée chose them until able to develop and use a proprietary pickup. A move that makes sense in more way than one. I'm thinking it's a matter of taste whether you prefer hb's or P-90's or have a use for both. Very different animals as are single coil strat like pups. Which is why I have so many electric guitars, I guess.     
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 05:51:03 PM »

Nice RS-4 with P90's on currently listed on eBay.
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2015, 01:23:04 PM »

I addressed this very issue at great lengths on a previous thread, well over a year ago.
The volume issue, the brittle issue (alnico 8's), there should not be any hum issue though.

Like over 50?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: