Larrivee guitar ID please?

Started by Arthur Two Strats Jackson, January 31, 2015, 02:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm helping a co-worker ID this so she can put a value on it. She doesn't know much about it.  I know even less... I can ID a model of Strat from across the street but I'm out of my element here.

Anyone here know the model name and or some history?  I haven't found much via Google other than I've found the same neck and headstock on some 80's models with a Telecaster-style body.

It might be an LS-2 from what I can find described of Larrivee naming but that model number doesn't turn up much in a search.  An estimate of value would be very helpful as well, thanks!

viewing from my phone its a bit of a challenge to see

I assume it has a bolt on neck and looks to be in good shape. Looks also like 2 humbuckers therefore you have a LT4

LT-4. L stands for bolt on neck, T for tele  style and 4 the pickup setting ( 2HB's or 1 HB & 2 single coils was how they did it then).

Hey they were good enough for Bryan ADAM's band back in the day seen HERE

What is your serial # - and we will be able to give you an approx year of build in the 80's very early 90's.

I have 6 or 7 vintage Larrivee's which are simply marvelous guitars THO I must say not quite in the elite league of today's Larrivee Electrics.

Depending on where you are ( they fetch more in Europe) and the shape its in will have some bearing on the value

I bet its every bit as nice as your Fenders I know mine are nicer than my USA Fenders

Value - Good shape $600 give or take $100 on condition.  Its a crime really at that price you should buy it from her!!! but thats about what they go for  :wacko:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

It is either an LT-2 for a bolt on "tele" or an RT-2 for neck through "tele".  Larrivee used a different numbering system for pu's in the 80's.

1 - single humbucker in bridge position
2 - double humbuckers
3 - three single coils
4 - two single coils plus a humbucker in the bridge position

A serial # would help narrow down the approx. age.

Can you please provide a picture of the front and back of the headstock?
Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!

These are the other pictures I have from the owner.  I forgot to ask for one of the back of the body unfortunately.  I'm in Victoria BC where I understand Larrivee started building guitars but the owner mentioned the builder was in the US so I assume this is after production moved South?

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on January 31, 2015, 03:06:09 PM
Value - Good shape $600 give or take $100 on condition.  Its a crime really at that price you should buy it from her!!! but thats about what they go for  :wacko:

I am intrigued by it but I already drained my guitar fund for now by buying a hardtail Strat from her.   :nana_guitar

Quote from: Cybercanyon on January 31, 2015, 03:17:38 PM
It is either an LT-2 for a bolt on "tele" or an RT-2 for neck through "tele".  Larrivee used a different numbering system for pu's in the 80's.

1 - single humbucker in bridge position
2 - double humbuckers
3 - three single coils
4 - two single coils plus a humbucker in the bridge position

Yup LT-2 if its bolt on sorry for any confusion I might have added  :wacko:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Looks like tuners have been changed.

Quote from: Arthur Two Strats Jackson on January 31, 2015, 04:48:12 PM
These are the other pictures I have from the owner.  I forgot to ask for one of the back of the body unfortunately.  I'm in Victoria BC where I understand Larrivee started building guitars but the owner mentioned the builder was in the US so I assume this is after production moved South?

Looks like you could use a history lesson on the Larrivee company.  Jean Claude Larrivee actually started making guitars in Toronto, then Victoria, then Vancouver.  They have a good historical summary on their website at this link.  http://www.larrivee.com/features/history.php

The article is a little out of date, however.  They have since closed down their operation in Vancouver and now only have the one factory in Oxnard California.  The subject guitar would have been made in Vancouver most likely, as they moved there from Victoria in the early 1980's.

Welcome to the forum from another Canadian member.  Hope you stick around even after you get the info you are looking for.   :gotdonuts:

Kurt in Edmonton.  
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on February 01, 2015, 01:13:03 AM
Looks like you could use a history lesson on the Larrivee company.  Jean Claude Larrivee actually started making guitars in Toronto, then Victoria, then Vancouver.  They have a good historical summary on their website at this link.  http://www.larrivee.com/features/history.php

The article is a little out of date, however.  They have since closed down their operation in Vancouver and now only have the one factory in Oxnard California.  The subject guitar would have been made in Vancouver most likely, as they moved there from Victoria in the early 1980's.

Welcome to the forum from another Canadian member.  Hope you stick around even after you get the info you are looking for.   :gotdonuts:

Kurt in Edmonton.  

Ah, I'm learning lots, thanks.  

Yes, I think I'll look around a bit more here    :smile: :donut  :donut  :donut2  :donut2  :coffee  :coffee

I got the Victoria thing from here:  http://www.daveswoodstockmusic.com/history-of-larrivee-electric-guitars.html but now I see it states the first Larrivee electric was made in Victoria and says nothing about acoustics.

I have the same body in black with one pickup and it's called an LT-1. So LT-2 makes sense, I guess. Very nice guitar. From Ebay, I paid $450.00 for it ten or eleven years ago.

there's one similar on eBay presently, looks unfinished, $400.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...