Do you play a Ukulele because it's a Larrivée

Started by ST, January 24, 2015, 12:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you play a Ukulele because it's a Larrivée

Yes, I wouldn't be playing a ukulele if it wasn't a Larrivée
2 (13.3%)
No, I played ukulele before I got my Larrivée
5 (33.3%)
Yes, I played and dropped the ukulele but I picked it up again when I got a Larrivée ukulele
0 (0%)
No, I don't play ukulele and it doesn't matter to me the Larrivée makes them
2 (13.3%)
Something else that you didn't think of when you made this poll, so I'll post about it
6 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 15

For those of you who play a Larrivée ukulele, did you start playing ukulele because Larrivée makes ukuleles?

That's kind of a convoluted question so here's a little background.

There's a place nearby where the local Ukulele club meets every week. It's a restaurant/bar, and it's packed for this get together. I'd guess there's about 40 people who are there every week. It's clear that they are having fun playing and singing along from their song books. It looks like a social, musical, therapeutic gathering. Some people hold their ukuleles and air strum and nod along. The whole thing is charming and I'm happy for those people, that they have this and they enjoy it. Having said that, the instrument holds no appeal for me and I've never considered owning one or learning to play one..

So I was wondering how much the Larrivée name has to do with ukulele ownership among those here who have them.

If you don't play ukulele, I also curious to know if it matters to you that Larrivée makes them.

Thanks

In my case, I had a cheap Mahalo uke that I fooled around with enough to know that ukes were a lot of fun. Then a few years ago I jumped on the opportunity to buy an all hog Larrivée soprano uke off of the forum. Last year I bought a Cordoba tenor uke from GC and I'm hoping to eventually expand to a baritone and maybe even a bass. They don't have to be Larrivées.       

I have a POS uke thats just plain fun.Trying to learn "Something"by Harrison.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

In the last 3 weeks I have purchased four ukuleles under 1K to add to my already nice collection. The four ukes I purchased were Martin TK-1, Martin S-1, Martin S-0and a Solid Bamboo concert uke. I'm still to purchase a Larrivee.

I have no doubt Larrivee make a wonderful uke I hope to own one someday in the near future. When is the big Q. I think Larrivee has got a long way to catch up to the other ukulele brand in terms of production. Finding one here in Australia, I'm sure will be a big task.

Another thing, the price. I think if I was to pay anything over 1K, it will have to be better than the Big K's from Hawaii, Martin, Collings or the Japanese uke like Kiwiya.

So NO, I don't play a uke because it is a Larrivee

My only uke is a Cordoba concert size, solid hog top, lam hog b/s, which I converted to play lefty. Sounds find and plays great. When I was playing on our worship team, it started getting used in regular rotation on a few tunes, and people really liked the flavor or texture it added (especially since we didn't have a fiddle or mandolin). 
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on January 27, 2015, 11:19:28 PM
My only uke is a Cordoba concert size, solid hog top, lam hog b/s, which I converted to play lefty. Sounds find and plays great. When I was playing on our worship team, it started getting used in regular rotation on a few tunes, and people really liked the flavor or texture it added (especially since we didn't have a fiddle or mandolin). 

My Cordoba works well too. Good uke for a nice price.

Not playing uke yet, but soon come.  My elderly Aunt vacationed in Hawaii in the 50s/60s, and brought back a uke.  It sat in her closet for 50 years.  When she downsized/moved, she gave it to me, since I'm the only musical one in the family.  It is a nice Kamaka gold-label, but has a big crack down the front, and needs bridge reglued.  I'm gonna get that repaired, and be uke-ing real soon.

D-02E

Quote from: unclrob on January 24, 2015, 02:30:01 PM

Trying to learn "Something"by Harrison.

Same here, unclrob ... the version by McCartney on the Harrison tribute concert.

No because I have started playing 2 years ago and Larrivee ukes were not available. So since then, I have had serious UAS and I still have 6 ukes, from a concert Flea to a tenor Koaloha and 2 luthier made, a soprano and a concert. I would be interested in a Larrivee depending on sound and price because I love my Larrivee guitars. We'll see when they come out.

For those interested in Something, what Paul played for George, I have found a good Solo version here  for those interested.

Regards
Michel

Quote from: f2fanatic on January 29, 2015, 07:23:09 AM
No because I have started playing 2 years ago and Larrivee ukes were not available. So since then, I have had serious UAS and I still have 6 ukes, from a concert Flea to a tenor Koaloha and 2 luthier made, a soprano and a concert. I would be interested in a Larrivee depending on sound and price because I love my Larrivee guitars. We'll see when they come out.

For those interested in Something, what Paul played for George, I have found a good Solo version here  for those interested.

Regards
Michel

Thanks for that.  :beer

Quote from: f2fanatic on January 29, 2015, 07:23:09 AM

Regards
Michel

In two years you've purchased SIX ukes? TWO custom made?! Yikes! Makes me a piker!  :blush:

Thanks for the song link.  :donut :coffee

Quote from: JohnM2001 on January 28, 2015, 10:14:54 PM
Not playing uke yet, but soon come.  My elderly Aunt vacationed in Hawaii in the 50s/60s, and brought back a uke.  It sat in her closet for 50 years.  When she downsized/moved, she gave it to me, since I'm the only musical one in the family.  It is a nice Kamaka gold-label, but has a big crack down the front, and needs bridge reglued.  I'm gonna get that repaired, and be uke-ing real soon.

John, if you get this uke fixed, I'm sure you will have something special.

Something about the Kamaka tone that makes me want to purchase another. I think it's worth fixing. Good luck mate

I have an Ohana all solid mahogany tenor.  While I would love to have a nice Larrivee, Martin, Kamaka or Collings, my wife would tear me in two if I ever spent that much money on a uke!!!  The Ohana was about $200 and it sounds and plays well enough.  I love just walking around the house with the uke.  So awesome!

I have two Koa solid wood hand made  Kapono Ukuleles'. They really sing. Would love to try a Larrivee uke.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

My good ukes are ancient...  a 50s all mahogany Harmony Roy Smeck soprano, a 60s all mahogany Japanese made Artist LTD baritone, a 30s maple ring unknown maker banjo uke, and then a couple other uhm, things I pieced back together.  Heh...  I learned on my dads old Styron Maccaferri when I was around 8!  I don't *need* any more ukes.

There are a couple pics of some all koa concerts on the Larrivee Facebook page that are pretty tempting.

Ed

Quote from: carruth on February 03, 2015, 03:46:19 PM
I have two Koa solid wood hand made  Kapono Ukuleles'. They really sing. Would love to try a Larrivee uke.

Hi mate, glad to hear from you. Any chance of posting a few pic's of your Kapono ukes? Cheers

I played one Larrivee ukulele. The dealer that had it recently went out of business and he still had that uke... never did sell it. Very tight sounding uke.

I own 2 Pono ukuleles. MB and AT. Very nice for the money spent. If I were to spend >$1000 on a uke, it would be a Collings UT1 without hesitation. Wonderful instruments.
Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)

Quote from: dave42 on February 04, 2015, 06:02:48 AM
If I were to spend >$1000 on a uke, it would be a Collings UT1 without hesitation. Wonderful instruments.

I've played one of those a few times.  Made me weak in the knees.  If my wife ever lets me spend that much money on a ukulele, it would be one of those as well.

I'd at least want to check out a new Larrivée uke (and others) before deciding on the Collings.

Collings UT1 tuners...

Really?    :yak:

Larrivee Uke tuners... (even on the least expensive model)

I would spend my money first, on a Larrivee.    :tongue:

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003