Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tokai ,Burny , Greco vs. Gibson Les Paul and Fender Strat  (Read 937 times)
placoustic11

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2015, 02:19:49 AM »

Have been very curious about certain Japanese electrics from the late 70,s to early 80, s. Some of these Tokai LP knockoffs are going for 2 to 3000$ I can appreciate for that price resale is not on par with American lP, s or US Fender but what about build and quality. Some players I, ve known swear by them but only certain models of course. I have not as yet purchased from Japan off ebay .
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 03:42:40 AM »

Always well made stuff.Very gig worthy.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 03:54:12 AM »

I have a Japanese made Yamaha SA1000 (335 copy) built in '82 that is the real deal - an excellent quality instrument in materials, set-up and tone...and it was the 'low end' model of these (they also made the SA800, SA2000, and SA2200).  I'll NEVER part with it willingly.

I also have a Japanese Epiphone Elitist Les Paul (2003) that is as good as today's standard Gibson Les Paul's. I have it up for sale right now because I don't play LP style guitars enough to keep it (I play my RS-4 and the SA1000 instead).

On both of the above guitars I haven't changed a thing - they're all original. I've not played Tokai's, Burny's, etc., but I'm sure they're up to at least the same high standards.

I also have a Japanese all solid wood Takamine dreadnaught acoustic. Well made, excellent materials and the neck is as straight as an arrow - amazing action. However, it's not up to par with the Larrivee's in tone (it has a cedar top which I don't think is 'proper' on a dread), and the nut spacing is a little cramped for me, so it's also up for sale.  But excellent craftsmanship.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 03:15:22 AM »

perhaps peavey and larrivee would be a better choice. All the guitars you mentioned are hard to find and/or over priced. plus the # of counterfeit guitars is a concern . Even the Tokais are counterfeited. Try an Alvarez acoustic electric for a do it all guitar as well. The necks are just like an electric.

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 06:13:47 PM »

I have not as yet purchased from Japan off ebay .

I forgot to mention - I bought the Yammy SA1000 from Japan on the web. Not Ishibashi, but another large company that has 4-5 guitar stores around Japan. Very good experience - the guitar shipped to my door was just under $1,000. One of the best purchases I've ever made...and a real find for a lefty.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: