Ovation brand sold to DW (Drum Workshop), a neighbor of Larrivee in Oxnard

Started by Mikeymac, January 12, 2015, 11:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(This was mentioned in my previous thread about Ovation, but thought it deserved starting a new thread - for anyone remotely interested in Ovation guitars.)

Well, it seemed that Ovation USA was dead (killed by Fender, like some other brands, of course), but maybe not yet.

Several of the Kaman brands were sold in a lump deal to DW (Drum Workshop), who just happen to be neighbors of Larrivee in Oxnard, CA!

Link to teh announcement by Fender (FMIC).

No word yet on whether the brand will continue, but an employee at Ovation USA responded to a customer (with a guitar in for repair) that, with this announcement, it has been a busy few days there; here's a quote from the Ovation Fan Club forum (John Budny is the Ovation employee):

"This just in from John Budny:

Hi Jeff,

Sorry it has taken a bit to get back but it has been an exciting couple of days. We are here for a while, hopefully a long while and not sure what will happen but will get you information on your guitar by tomorrow. We are operating as usual for the time being.

John"

Here's the link  to that forum thread.

Will be interesting to see ... but I don't hold out much expectation of a resurgence of Ovation. Their time in the spotlight has come and gone...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Ovation owned the guitar market in the 70's and 80's. Beyond the Bowl back Ovation gave as Carbon Fiber tops, Pin less bridges, built in Tuners and most profoundly built in preamps. They are one of just a handful of companies to sell over a million guitars. You have to respect there place in history. Good American made Ovations never sounded beautiful but the sound was clean and clear a perfect choice for rapid fire players like Al Di Meola. Sadly Ovation began to produce cheap guitars over seas and they sounded terrible. Good American made Ovations became a small part of their offerings, under Fender USA production ceased. I would love to see this brand Lives on.
*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele

Quote from: Mikeymac on January 12, 2015, 11:05:53 AM
Will be interesting to see ... but I don't hold out much expectation of a resurgence of Ovation. Their time in the spotlight has come and gone...
Maybe so, depends whether or not they find themselves a modern day Glen Campbell  :doh
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Ovation did some really good stuff there pu systems were always very good.Maybe a move towards the composite style guitars would be a good thing.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on January 15, 2015, 04:21:58 PM

Maybe so, depends whether or not they find themselves a modern day Glen Campbell  :doh

I was thinking the same thing, Andrew. They'd have to steal someone away from Taylor, though...  :rolleye:  :whistling:  :wink:

Quote from: unclrob on January 15, 2015, 09:41:27 PM

Ovation did some really good stuff there pu systems were always very good. Maybe a move towards the composite style guitars would be a good thing.

Yes... maybe if the redesigned the Adamas line as true carbon fiber topped guitars, they'd find a market for them. And keep updating their pickup systems across both lines.

The biggest problem is that there are so many excellent pickup systems being used in all wood guitars, there's no reason for someone to choose an Ovation for that reason anymore.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992