Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recording equipment suggestions needed  (Read 4772 times)
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 05:32:37 AM »

Haven't ordered anything yet, but the Snowball I looked at was classified as a "cardioid omnidirectional condenser". I did download the Audacity shareware to have a look, plus watched a uTube tutorial. Still not 100% on anything, and I appreciate the heads-up on the Tascam issues.   

'cardioid omnidirectional' is an oxymoron.

Cardioid describes the response pattern that is heart-shaped; being more sensitive at the 'bottom' of the heart-shape.
Omnidirectional describes a response pattern that is less directional, with even sensitivity all-around.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar07/articles/micpatterns.htm

Perhaps that mic has a switchable pattern - there are many mics that do have this.  The Yeti model from Blue is one example.  Be wary of smaller diaphragm USB mics with under $100 price points.  Some of them aren't instrument type condensers, but rather use electret capsules.  The Yeti uses 3 different 14mm diameter capsules.

You would be better off getting a mic with a larger capsule like the Meteor from Blue, or a Samson C01U, AT2020USB, etc.  Here's a list at Sweetwater:
http://www.sweetwater.com/c981--USB_Microphones/params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJEaWFwaHJhZ20gU2l6ZSI6WyJNZWRpdW0gKDE2bW0tMThtbSkiLCJMYXJnZSAoMTltbSBhbmQgdXApIl19fQ

If you are unsure of whether you should get a USB mic, get one that has both USB and analog XLR connectors - then you can use it both directly into your computer, or for other audio-only purposes.   That narrows the choices down a bit.  I have a dynamic USB/XLR mic from Samson and I've used it both ways in the past.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 11:52:22 AM »

'cardioid omnidirectional' is an oxymoron.
Perhaps that mic has a switchable pattern - there are many mics that do have this.  The Yeti model from Blue is one example.  Be wary of smaller diaphragm USB mics with under $100 price points.  Some of them aren't instrument type condensers, but rather use electret capsules.  The Yeti uses 3 different 14mm diameter capsules.
The one I looked at did have what was described as a switchable pattern as I recall. Three position switch on the back. But I do love a good oxymoron now and then, like "government intelligence"!
Thanks for sharing your knowledge! As is often the case, I'm learning how much learning I have to learn. 

Larrivee LV-03RE
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Gibson Nouveau NV-12
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 01:52:32 PM »

Pretty sure I'm going to eventually go with a Zoom H2n, and use the Audacity shareware for further processing. I just think it'll serve my intended, and fairly simple, purposes at this point. Small and portable, plus there's an accessories package for around $40 with all sorts of handy goodies. I can get this done for right around $200 for the H2n and the accessories, all new in the box. Thanks for all the "sound" advice!   

Larrivee LV-03RE
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Gibson Nouveau NV-12
Washburn C80S
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 02:19:13 PM »

The mics in those little Zooms are pretty nice.  Using it with Audacity should yield some sweet recordings.  You will be posting some results eventually I hope?

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 02:27:08 PM »

I have the Zoom H2. I still don't know all the features yet,  but Audacity sounds like something good to compliment the Zoom. I modified our camera Tri-pod to hold the Zoom right where it needs to be. You can see it in this picture.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 02:43:53 PM »

The mics in those little Zooms are pretty nice.  Using it with Audacity should yield some sweet recordings.  You will be posting some results eventually I hope?
I'll probably order it in February, then of course I'll have to polish things up a bit! But yep, I'm actually kind of anxious to record some stuff.

Larrivee LV-03RE
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Gibson Nouveau NV-12
Washburn C80S
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: