Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pickups, electronics for Larrivee OM-03...a little help please  (Read 2130 times)
jwb

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2015, 03:23:38 PM »

Forum friends,  it's been a while. I need some guidance to put a pickup in my OM-03MT. This is a special guitar and it's getting up in age. It's the "fish guitar" by Peter Cree and my main instrument. The decision to put electronics in it I have not taken lightly, but it's what I need at this point in my playing...the ability to loop and have access to more tools than just micing the guitar.

I am admittedly behind the times on electronics and needed some first hand responses and opinions on the best out there, given my playing style and the guitar in question. I play with my bare fingers and never a pick, anchoring my right hand with my pinky against the soundboard to play. And I play hard. Often I am very percussive when I am not playing in the "anchored" position and hit the guitar with my palm, muting the strings and driving a beat with my palm while playing. My style of playing is very much like Bruce Cockburn, not to say I have even half the mojo he has  Well, maybe not even 10% but anyway...

I was thinking about something like the LR baggs Anthem using both an internal mic and a pickup of some sort. I don't like the quacky sound of just a UST, that piezo zing just ain't my thing. I realize, however, I need some kind of true pickup in the mix. But I need control over the internal mic or soundboard sensor to not pick up too much of my heavy right hand.

What do you guys and gals use? Why do you like it? Thanks in advance and I'm happy to be back asking, I missed everyone  bigrin

Justin

OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 03:34:56 PM »

I've had good luck with the Fishman Matrix Infinity. Works great and is unobtrusive.
jwb

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 06:17:43 PM »

I've had good luck with the Fishman Matrix Infinity. Works great and is unobtrusive.

Thanks duck.  I will check it out. I guess you use the "narrow format" one for the saddle on the Larrivee? I was thinking an internal mic or soundboard sensor combo would be the way to go, but if this works for you it surely is worthy of checking out.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 06:31:20 PM »

Thanks duck.  I will check it out. I guess you use the "narrow format" one for the saddle on the Larrivee? I was thinking an internal mic or soundboard sensor combo would be the way to go, but if this works for you it surely is worthy of checking out.

Actually, I have the Matrix Infinity on my D-35 and it does work great. As for my Larrivées, I've used K&K pure minis on my BT-03 and my OOO-50 TSB. My D-05E came with an on board Fishman. I hate the look of it but I couldn't resist the guitar.   
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 07:05:18 PM »

Hi Justin. I like the sound of the Baggs I-beam, but I have no idea how it will respond to percussion.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 07:33:58 PM »

The IBeam is a good choice but I would suggest the Anthem SL due to it having an under the saddle pu and a mic which mounts to the top.The PARA DI ads more tonal controls.This my favorite pu when I can't mic it.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
jwb

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 02:27:47 AM »

Thanks for the input and good to hear from you Rob.  My local store has an Anthem I can try (woo hoo!) I just have to drill out my endpin, which I am going to have done anyway through this process.  I can at least give the system a test drive and that's the only way to truly know.

This may be a can of worms, but what about the new trance audio amulet dual mono set up?  The amulet was always been a specialty pickup system because of the need for the 5 pin connector and native stereo, not to mention a  very steep price, but now it's in mono...preamp onboard and running off 9volt battery. The price is reasonable, too.  Any one give one of these a try?  I always was interested in the amulet because of the high quality, loyal following and a different approach to amplification of acoustic instruments (even though very k&k-like).  Anyone?

I'm going to try the Anthem this week and dust off my old AER amp.  I will let you know how I get along.

Justin

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 04:38:55 AM »

ohmy NO DRILLING,you need to use a reamer as a drill can do damage,the worst is a paddle bit....bring it to someone who has the right tool.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 04:47:19 AM »

If its a larrivee, the 1/2" hole is already there.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 06:25:53 PM »

If its a larrivee, the 1/2" hole is already there.

I believe we got our OM-MT's during the same time period and mine had the 1/2" hole already so you should be good to go. Just remove the strap pin and the nut on the inside of the tail block to install the jack.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: