What top can you recommend for my playing style?

Started by drum_zeppelin, December 09, 2014, 05:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am self taught, i Developed my own style, and i use a pick. (have only played for a few years)  I am leaning towards a hogtop. i don't believe cedar will record as bright with my pick. 

I will definitely get mahogany back and sides, but i am having a hard time deciding whether to get spruce or mahogany for the top.
  As i have said in a previous post- i am going to take a leap of faith and buy a larrivee without actually playing it.  I have listened to all the clips through my studio monitors (my favorite was maple back and sides... only for notes and not chords).  When i play other guitar companies i have always preferred mahogany for the back and sides, but i have not been able to find a L style taylor or other make to play in person with a hogtop.

this is a recording of my style with a $300 ibanez and $50 dollar ribbon mic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxpJvQKYtog

Thanks guys!

I would recommend Mahogany with Spruce top.  If you prefer the brighter sound of Maple I don't think you would be happy with a Hog-top.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Listening to recording is a terrible way to decide on what will work for you (or it has always beens so for me).  I have always wanted to like mahogany top guitars...  I've always wanted to like rosewood guitars.  I hear players make them sound great, but they don't do so well in my hands. 

In *my* hands, it is pretty well impossible to go wrong with a mahogany b/s, sitka top Larrivee. 

YMMV and good luck in the search.

Ed

:thumb  Good advice.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on December 09, 2014, 05:57:18 PM
I would recommend Mahogany with Spruce top.  If you prefer the brighter sound of Maple I don't think you would be happy with a Hog-top.

:+1: