Guitar value with damage - 2011 OMV-03

Started by trebor99, December 05, 2014, 03:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 09, 2014, 11:48:11 AM
Seems to me when it comes to used late model guitars, this kind of damage may make you choose another non cracked instrument especially if the price is not right and you have lots of choices in your price range. However, I was also looking at the value from the point of view of the seller although I think he should get the crack repaired prior to a sale. OTOH, if a guitar is really special or vintage, it has no real effect on its tone and shouldn't really affect your choice it it's the guitar you want. 

I've played both models. I'm not enough of a player to really notice the difference I guess. The LV felt a bit larger but I found them both comfortable to play.  The LV was a little heavier on the base side, which I liked.

Thanks.

v/r,

Rob 

I prefer a Larrivée L body to almost any other guitar. A cutaway is certainly a debatable addition. It costs more and while it won't affect the sound to any noticeable degree, unless you play a lot up there, it's not necessary.

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 10, 2014, 02:56:34 PM
I prefer a Larrivée L body to almost any other guitar. A cutaway is certainly a debatable addition. It costs more and while it won't affect the sound to any noticeable degree, unless you play a lot up there, it's not necessary.

Lots of wisdom in this statement. I have a C-10 (the Larrivee L body with a Florentine cutaway), and I've discovered that I really don't need the cutaway for what I play. My next Larrivee will be one of the L-body varieties - either an L or an LS ... or whatever the 50th Anniversary Larrivee is going to be (hopefully some form of the L body, but who knows?).

Edited to add: I also have a Larrivee OM, and the L does indeed have noticeably more bass - in a good, balanced way.

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992