Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: yet another question for RS4 owners  (Read 696 times)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2014, 02:36:06 PM »

The original issue had Lollar pick-ups correct?

My HB model has Gen 3 ML design I believe.
 was there a Gen 1 & Gen 2?

what were the differences and subsequent need for modifications?

thanks again, and if there is some site or previous posts around this stuff, please point me to it.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 03:29:59 PM »

Can't believe the real experts haven't responded.  I met Matthew right before he started winding the production HBs. Yes to all: Lollars then Gen 1 2 3.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 03:31:11 PM »

Dunno. I love the Lollar Imperials. I can't imagine a humbucking pickup being that much better. I think the use of proprietary pups, besides being fun for Matthew, is more a sound business move than a large improvement in sound. Then again, I haven't tried an RS-4 with Matt's pickups so what do I know?      
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 04:07:09 PM »

Thanks, and ya, what were the differences in gen 1,2 & 3.

and I actually bought my first RS4 from Chuck Baker in Vancouver, sight unseen, after reading that wonderful interview Dave Wren did with Matt years ago at NAMM.

Jean was away buying wood and just let Matt go, and the stories ML tells about the old days of Jean winding pick ups at the dining room table while they all watched TV, were hilarious.
 Then Matt's very intense and focussed dedication to his own R & D around pick ups is all I needed to make a call to Chuck, only to find he had just ONE RS4, and it was in my all time favourite Tobacco burst. Chuck then pulled the pups to show me they were Gen 3's.
 I'd love to compare with yours.
 maybe we could ship them back and forth!

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 04:17:02 PM »

Thanks, and ya, what were the differences in ten 1,2 & 3.

and I actually bought my first RS4 from Chuck Baker in Vancouver, sight unseen, after reading that wonderful interview Dave Wren did with Matt years ago at NAMM.

Jean was away buying wood and just ket matt go, and the stories ML tells about the old days of Jean winding pick ups at the dining room table while they all watched TV, were hilarious.
 Then Matt's very intense and focussed dedication to his own R & D around pick ups is all I needed to make a call to Chuck, only to find he had just ONE RS4, and it was in my all time favourite Tobacco burst. Chuck then pulled the pups to show me they were Gen 3's.
 I'd love to compare with yours.
 maybe we could ship them back and forth!

I was an early adopter of the new RS-4 so I guess I'm stuck with it, as is. Some day, I'll be able to try a ML pickup and maybe tell some significant difference. All I do know is that, while developing his own pickups, Matt made a great choice in the Lollars.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: