RS-2's and RS-4's discontinued?

Started by magicshoemonkey, December 02, 2014, 08:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well it seems alot of forum members bought them. Will they be putting all their eggs on the telecaster guitar?? Maybe we've finally reached the point where the guitar market is completely saturated. :coffee :donut
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

It was saturated a few years back.Nothin is worth anything used anymore plus there so much stuff out there no one has to buy new when they can buy used for next to nothin.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Just read this thread, now I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a RS-4. Y'all are fine salesmen.

Quote from: dependan on December 30, 2014, 11:40:31 PM
Just read this thread, now I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a RS-4. Y'all are fine salesmen.

Makes me wonder, though, if the used price for an RS-2 or RS-4 will now go up due to lack of supply?  I have an RS-4 with P90's in Cherry Burst I would sell for what I paid for it.

While I understand this decision, it makes me sad.  I love my sunburst rs-2.  It is perfect.  Perhaps the only problem is that it was so wonderful it stopped my hunger for other electric guitars.  Well that is except for an rs-4. . . And and Bakersfield . . . And a Lancaster.  Perhaps someday they will pick back up when the market does so as well. 

I will never sell my RS-2 and will always take time to Brag about it to anyone who looks at it.

Still hoping I can own a full set of Larrivee electrics someday.

Quote from: Strings4Him on December 31, 2014, 05:56:18 AM
Makes me wonder, though, if the used price for an RS-2 or RS-4 will now go up due to lack of supply?  I have an RS-4 with P90's in Cherry Burst I would sell for what I paid for it.

Prices are tied to both supply AND demand. Since there wasn't the demand to keep making these NEW, I doubt the used market is going to change much. I suspect the market for these recent RS-4 and RS-2 models will be limited to those of us who hang around here - a pretty small "market" - or demand.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: unclrob on December 30, 2014, 09:38:59 PM
It was saturated a few years back.Nothin is worth anything used anymore plus there so much stuff out there no one has to buy new when they can buy used for next to nothin.

Part of this is also the U.S. economy right now - it SUCKS. With 80-90 million Americans either unemployed or underemployed, hobby items like guitars aren't high on the purchase list. The recent drop in gas prices might help things tick up a bit, but it's going to take some other changes before the average guitar buyer is going to have more disposable income (the high end stuff still seems to sell; there are still rich folks out there with disposable income, and they're in a position to get great deals right now).

Also, Babyboomers are retiring, and many are downsizing their lives in many ways, including their "toy" purchases as they try to have enough money for retirement. And, they're selling off their collections, and younger generations either don't have the interest or the income to keep prices up - again, a supply and demand equation...

I think this could ultimately be a good thing for the re-sale value of these RS-4's.  It feels like these have all the makings of a "cult-classic". 

Awesome, under-appreciated, and now, out of production.  Just like Firefly.  :)

All those baby boomers who bought vintage guitars at high price's are finding that they can't get there money back let alone make a profit.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on January 02, 2015, 11:17:02 PM
All those baby boomers who bought vintage guitars at high price's are finding that they can't get there money back let alone make a profit.

I think you're probably right, unclrob. By the time the economy recovers, too many of us boomers will be downsizing rather than adding to our gear collections, causing prices to stay slumped. I'm not sure we can count on younger generations to have the same interest in vintage gear, for several reasons. Plus, they are a smaller generation by the numbers... at some point it becomes an "actuarial" question/issue. 

They'll have there own vintage gear.Guitars from the 80's. :ohmy:
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks